How soon after HT can you drink alcohol?

I finished up a procedure yesterday. Feeling like a glass or two of wine. I didn't think to ask my doc. Is this ok?

I highly doubt a couple of glasses of wine would do any harm . Now , getting smashed might be different !

Mikey,

Definitely speak with your clinic. Different doctors will have different restrictions. I ask my patients to refrain 7-10 days before and 3 days after. And definitely be careful mixing this with any sort of pain or anti-anxiety medication that may have been provided during or after the procedure.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I would check with your Doctor it is unlikely that a glass of wine would hurt but as tempting as it is you should resist for a few days ideally.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

White wine, huh? I think a red would have been better post-transplant, but that's just me, I guess!

Kidding.

Hope you enjoyed. Touch base with your clinic when you get the chance too. If nothing else, just to get clarification on their policy with alcohol in the post-op in general.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Moderators

You just spent thousands of dollars on surgery and you couldn't even stop drinking for just a few days to be sure you're not wasting your time and money or causing complications? Wow.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Mikey1970

I've had two HTs FUT & FUE drank alcohol ( beer & wine) before & after both & have seen no ill effects. Totally happy with my results...If I had restrained would my results be better ? I doubt it & to that I say Cheers!

Cheers Matt.

I received pre op instructions to avoid a host of items including alcohol. I travelled interstate for surgery so flights etc, felt great to get home & was nice to relax with 1 or 2 drinks.

Great to hear you are happy with your results.

Good to see you got this figured out and were able to enjoy your wine. No shame!

Alcohol restrictions vary quite a bit depending on the surgeon, and there's no universally accepted rule as to what is and is not allowed. I think the main concern with drinking post-op would be avoiding any complications from mixing the alcohol with any medication you may be taking.

You could send an email to your surgeon to have them include their stance on this in their post-op instructions so as to help any future patients who may have the same question/thirst for wine after their procedure. I'm sure it's a common question.

Happy growing!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56