Does Propecia will stop or slow down my hairloss at Donor area?

danielx111

Hey guys, since i'm norwood 6\7 I also suffer from retrograde alopecia which means thinning around the ears/nap area and even a little at the donor area.

Basically almost everywhere at the sides/back of my hair, Does Propecia will help my hairloss at those areas?

Since after all it's MPB, I do want to keep that donor area as thick as it is now so i can do hair transplant in the future.

Just want to make sure that it actually can slow down or stop the hairloss at these areas?

Thank you so much!

Yes & NO to your answer being your a high NW 6/7 I advise you to seek a professional HT Surgeon, so he/ she can evaluate your scalp in more detail.

Propicia works all over the head but the better results is normally the centre/sides of your scalp & you may get some results on the donor area also, that's if your a good responder.

Again seek out several professional HT doctors to get yourself evaluated

i thought the donor area was dht resistant!!!

does this mean that if one stops taking propecia after a hair transplant, both the donor and the transplanted hairs either shed or become weak???

• Administrators
i thought the donor area was dht resistant!!!

does this mean that if one stops taking propecia after a hair transplant, both the donor and the transplanted hairs either shed or become weak???

Unfortunately, some have what's called DUPA (diffused unpatterned alopecia) this means that none of the hairs on the head are DHT resistant.

Some doctors will perform surgery on DUPA patients so long as they take medication, however I feel that is extremely unethical, because nobody knows how medications will affect you long term. There may come a time when you may have to stop taking meds, and if that happens then not only will you lose all of the transplanted hair but you'll also expose surgical scars.

Take a look at this video, although I think Dr. Lorenzo is a great doctor, he operates on DUPA patients which I don't agree with at all, he places far too much value on medication, in my opinion medication should be complimentary to a hair transplant and not a requirement. If you see before the patient had any surgery his donor hair already looked very thin and depleted, certainly not a candidate.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

HTsoon,

well written, & a perfect example there.

While Dupa is pretty uncommon in men, more so can be seen in femails, one of several reasons that Dr dont like to perform HT on women unless there is other circumstances involved with there hairloss.

Oh i dont have DUPA, i have retrograde alopecia which is very common for high norwood.

But since my shedding at the nap area and sides are because of MPB i will take propecia and hope for the best..