Dr. Carlos K. Wesley: No Surgery, No Pills

Billena

This patient can be seen before and a few months after only: 1) a single treatment of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and 2) daily use of our topical hair growth blend.

This 32-year-old man did not have good luck with Propecia or Minoxidil. After experiencing profound unwanted side effects with the Propecia pill and then marked shedding after use of topical minoxidil (Rogaine) for months, he stopped taking both medications and came to our office for help.

Although he was a candidate for either follicular unit extraction (FUE) or follicular unit transplantation (FUT), he opted for a more conservative approach to hair restoration. In addition to a PRP session, he used our topical hair growth blend (with finasteride as an active ingredient) daily. He was relieved to not experience any side effects while using the topical formula and was thrilled with the progress of his hair growth.

We will continue to post more results with this conservative therapy on our Results Gallery.

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Here is the magnified images of the patient's scalp before treatment and after.

unnamed.jpg.545891c8d1dcbd89fdf6aec9d793d16a.jpg

I have worked with 26 different hair restoration doctors throughout my career. I have now been a nurse with Dr. Wesley for more than a decade.

Dr. Carlos Wesley is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

1050 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10028

Ph (844) 745-6362

www.drcarloswesley.com

Hi, Spyk777.

It is available at our office for pick up or you can arrange to have it shipped to you.

Please call (844) 745-6362 for more information.

Thank you.

I have worked with 26 different hair restoration doctors throughout my career. I have now been a nurse with Dr. Wesley for more than a decade.

Dr. Carlos Wesley is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

1050 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10028

Ph (844) 745-6362

www.drcarloswesley.com

How long do this prp treatment work for before it starts to turnback time?

Great results but I find this kinda of treatment could be costly if you have to go back every 12 months.

Now topical Fin is interesting & would like your feedback on your patients results o that if you could share.

Thanks Doc great job.

It is David but im yet to see any evidence that it last longer than 14 months, im talking about PRP as for the topical fin then I havent seen much data on that but have heard that it maybe effective.

Nevertheless this is fantastic, shame it wont last forever unless you got a bank account like Hillary clinton / Donald Trump to keep paying out for.

am I the only one that can see the comb over making it look better then it actually is!

Haha that was the very first thing I noticed... This seems like a mediocre (at best) method that, over time, will end up costing someone a lot more money than a good HT would cost, and yield much weaker results. Might be useful for a wealthy person who has already exhausted all of their donor area though.

am I the only one that can see the comb over making it look better then it actually is!

I was thinking the same thing but there definitely is a difference. It would be nice to hair same before and after pictures. I am not surprised by this result because topical finasteride does work.

It is available at our office for pick up or you can arrange to have it shipped to you.

How much does it cost? I know the product that many Italians use in Italy is around 40 Euros a month ($46 USD). It is a liposomal formulation of topical finasteride. Liposomal is a solution that doesn't go into the blood stream and its very expensive.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I was thinking the same thing but there definitely is a difference. It would be nice to hair same before and after pictures. I am not surprised by this result because topical finasteride does work.

How much does it cost? I know the product that many Italians use in Italy is around 40 Euros a month ($46 USD). It is a liposomal formulation of topical finasteride. Liposomal is a solution that doesn't go into the blood stream and its very expensive.

I'm not a doc, but I think a liposomal delivery system does deliver into the blood stream.

My concerns with topical finasteride is 2 issues:

1. I would need to see more studies that show the results and the change in DHT in the blood of those taking it. A big reason people was to take it is to avoid sides they are concerned about. However, I if it is having a similar effect to your testosterone levels in the bloodstream, the only difference in sides would be placebo sides, I would think. I'd just need to see more..I believe it works, but how much better than regular fin, I'm unsure.

2. The safety of those around you. What about people that have wives, girlfriends, and daughters that live with them? Touching the same pillows and couches, and hats,etc. that you have topical finasteride on from common contact. What is the risk to them if they became pregnant to the pregnancy? I don't know, but it seems unregulated. Seems to me, if there is a similar bloodstream reaction, meaning it drops the dht in your blood and scalp the same, that there isn't much of a difference and the oral would very safer.

These or just issues that I grapple with myselfriends. Hopefully, we will see more studies and learn more about topical finasteride .

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think maybe this topical fin just reaches where it needs to go & dont fully go into the blood stream as its not strong enough to reach the major organs.

Im also with spanker say you use this stuff as a topical, what shows its less likely to be dangerous to others around you such as young children, pregnant wife blah blah?

To me there is a lot of what we dont know how this works & how effective & safe it is to use especially around the household anyways.

Seems like a decent idea but in reality is another matter.

In order for our patients to have an objective measure of their hair growth after PRP, I like to find a landmark on their scalp (e.g. freckle) so that they can quantify the hair-by-hair change. I have included the magnified images of this patient before and a few months after initiation of this therapy.

While each patient responds differently, PRP has been demonstrated to have a beneficial effect for 24 months after initiation of therapy. We are finding and increased likelihood of young men with a significant amount of hair miniaturization benefiting from combination therapy rather than PRP alone. While our "n" isn't great enough to point to one catalyst over another, the majority of patients credit the PRP as the most beneficial.

Slide4.jpg

Dr. Wesley

Thank you for the reply. I do see a good difference between both the photos.

In addition to a PRP session, he used our topical hair growth blend (with finasteride as an active ingredient) daily.
These are the type of results that you see with either topical or pill finasteride. It is hard to say whether these results were done by PRP or finasteride or a bit of both.

I remember a few years ago I told an Italians patient that every morning with my finasteride pill I have a banana. I meant to say it as a regular daily routine for me. A year later he emailed me and said his friend was having some side effects and if it would be ok just to take the banana only. I started laughing and said you misunderstood me.

My point is unless you show PRP only pictures and proper photos its really hard to figure out if PRP works. I have met many people that have had PRP and none of them are happy. Of course I don't know enough about it or the different ways to use it.

I forgot to add what do you charge for your topical hair growth blend for a one month supply?

Thanks for all your posting.

Edited by lorenzo

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Wesley

Thank you for the reply. I do see a good difference between both the photos.

These are the type of results that you see with either topical or pill finasteride. It is hard to say whether these results were done by PRP or finasteride or a bit of both.

I remember a few years ago I told an Italians patient that every morning with my finasteride pill I have a banana. I meant to say it as a regular daily routine for me. A year later he emailed me and said his friend was having some side effects and if it would be ok just to take the banana only. I started laughing and said you misunderstood me.

My point is unless you show PRP only pictures and proper photos its really hard to figure out if PRP works. I have met many people that have had PRP and none of them are happy. Of course I don't know enough about it or the different ways to use it.

Thanks for all your posting.

I agree. I had prp done last year from a reputed clinic in India (would not want to name)and lost a tremendous amount of hair in the crown and also my hairline. Doctor said it is shock loss from prp and it will recover, 12 months later it has not recovered and infact I have lost hair further to the point where I have started to believe last year prp injection is still in action.

NAVI I am sorry to hear that. I don't know a lot about PRP or the methods of using it. I can only comment from what I have seen in person and the few results on the internet. I have not seen any poster show before and after PRP only photos to convince me. I have seen probably over 30 people in person that have had it done and they are say the same thing that it isn't worth it. In my opinion, that could change, that it is an add on to make more money.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a bit more interesting information regarding the body's absorption of topical finasteride...

In 2014, the Int’l Jour of Clinical Pharmacology published findings from their investigation of this specific topic.

1) SERUM FINASTERIDE Levels with TOPICAL versus PILL form.

The finasteride levels found in the serum (blood) of patient who used 0.25% topical finasteride once daily were well below the assay’s ability to detect and quantify at nearly every point. The spike in serum finasteride levels of patients taking the pill can be seen below.

TopicalFin1.jpg

2) SERUM DHT levels with TOPICAL versus PILL form.

Once-a-day use of the 0.25% topical finasteride resulted in much a less severe decrease in DHT plasma levels (19%) that those seen in patients using the pill once a day (70%) or twice daily use of either topical or pill form. Our blend uses a lower percentage of finasteride than that used in this study and our patients only use the blend once (not twice) daily.

TopicalFin2.jpg

3) No significant change in serum testosterone levels detected with either treatment.

4) A follow-up study showed the topical solution reduces scalp DHT levels by about 70%.

Despite these findings, this alternative to the Propecia pill is not necessarily for everyone. Safety profiles of topical finasteride has not been properly investigated at this stage. Not everyone may have the hair growth that we have seen in many of our patients when using the topical blend. It is important to highlight the facts as they have been demonstrated.

For those interested, I strongly encourage you to use the NIH PubMed website to obtain trusted medical information via peer-reviewed journal articles:

• 1 month later...

This is some fascinating and encouraging information.

One question about the topical finasteride: does it have to be administered directly to the area of the scalp affected by MPB to be effective? In other words, if you spread it on your scalp and don't manage to cover all areas, is it absorbed by the scalp and effective in the entire "general area"?

Can it be used in conjunction with Minoxidil?

Have you, anecdotally, noticed patients have had less side effects than with the Propecia pill?

I know Italians patients have been using it for a few years with no side effects. This is a different solution that mentioned above. The University of Milan did a study and found that taking it everyday was the same as taking 1mg of propecia ever 18.5 days which is the small amount the goes into the blood stream. It cost around $65 USD a month so its not that expensive. I know its mixed with liposomal what is quite expensive and very effective. I know there are some clinics and hair centers that will charge you $100-200 for a solution using a less effective mixing solution. I think meds should be about helping the patients and not profiting from it.