High percentage of bad transplants?

I never thought I would ask a question about hair transplant but here goes:

I read of a marked high percentage of bad hair transplants over the years. I cant find quite the website but one source estimates that as high as 65% of hair transplants patients have reported unsatisfied surgeries. Could someone shed light on this?

If I decide on a transplant from a highly qualified doctor or surgeon what are my chances of a very good transplant?

Hey Bencar,

I had a transplant done almost 7 months ago with Dr. Cooley in NC and could not be happier with my results. If you are wanting the hair you had at 16 back those expectations are going to be a little outta the realm of reality. However, good coverage to give back a good cosmetic result is obtainable and I am so happy I moved forward and had the procedure done. I had a FUT and would not take it back no matter what. I look younger and got back the hair I had lost and the self esteem I lost with it. It's a hard thing to take for some folks and I decided to act, and wish I had done it sooner.

Use this forum as a research center as I did and do not let location affect your decision. I traveled a long distance for Dr. Cooley to do my procedure. I have many posts on my progress on this forum and feel free to look it up.

Feel free to even message and ask members questions you have, it is a great group on this site.

Good Luck!

it all depends on what your definition of "unsatsifactory" is - were these patients unsatisfied because they had unrealistic objectives? were they unsatisfied because they wanted or thought they were going to get a denser packed grafts? or were they generally unsatisfied with their whole HT experience from their doctor/clinic because they were uninformed throughout the whole process???

there are literally hundreds of reasons people could be unsatified with their HT - just read the experiences of many of this forum - most good, some bad. It seems that you will likely be unsatisfied if you go into a HT procedure (surgery) in an "uninformed" manner. If you do your homework and dont rush into anything without knowing exactly what you're getting into - there should be no surprises. Particularly with the recommended doctors on this site, their reputation is such that they are ethical and of the highest caliber specializing in hair transplanation.

How many grafts will your particular case require? What method will be best suited for you? FUT or FUE? What Norwood pattern are you? Has your hair loss stabilized? Should you be on medication prior to surgery, etc etc etc.

Research research research - then consult consult and do more consulting until you feel comfortable pulling the trigger. When you're comfortable and know exactly what you're getting into and what likely type of result you should get, there is a HIGH probability you will not be disappointed -

Edited by home1212

That number sounds ridiculously high and not scientific in any way. That said, of course there are some doctors out there doing poor work. My guess is that of the recommended doctors on this site, the number of unsatisfied patients is probably pretty close to 0%. With the few misses that do happen, the recommended doctors stand behind their work and fix any issues.

Lesson here - use a thoroughly vetted and site recommended doctor who practices exclusively in the field of hair transplantation, not general plastic surgery or something else. I am extremely happy with my result.

Edited by ModernHair

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

bencar,

I don't think statistics here will be of any real benefit and here's why. Determining a quality hair transplant and whether or not a patient is happy is as much subjective as it is objective - and sometimes more. I've seen some amazing results and the patient is still unhappy because he/she has unrealistic expectations going into the procedure. And then there are those where results simply weren't optimal.

I think it's better to look at it in terms of your own personal risk than what others have reported. For example, if you select an experienced and skilled surgeon such as those we recommend on our community and have realistic expectations, there is a huge probability of success and of you being happy and satisfied with your results.

I read of a marked high percentage of bad hair transplants over the years. I cant find quite the website but one source estimates that as high as 65% of hair transplants patients have reported unsatisfied surgeries.

what a ridiculous un-sourced statement

"so and so said....but I can't even state who so and so is"

:rolleyes:

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

what a ridiculous un-sourced statement

"so and so said....but I can't even state who so and so is"

:rolleyes:

Calm down. Its not unrealistic. I just cant find the source.

Hey Bencar,

I had a transplant done almost 7 months ago with Dr. Cooley in NC and could not be happier with my results. If you are wanting the hair you had at 16 back those expectations are going to be a little outta the realm of reality. However, good coverage to give back a good cosmetic result is obtainable and I am so happy I moved forward and had the procedure done. I had a FUT and would not take it back no matter what. I look younger and got back the hair I had lost and the self esteem I lost with it.

Good Luck!

Wow good for you! Dr Cooley? I may look him up then sounds good. So how does this site work exactly to view your pictures of your procedure? Could you provide a link to your pictures if you dont mind?

My guess is that of the recommended doctors on this site, the number of unsatisfied patients is probably pretty close to 0%. With the few misses that do happen, the recommended doctors stand behind their work and fix any issues.

Thats reassuring. Do you mind supplying that close to 0% stat you mentioned that supports this claim? I'm not saying I dont believe you. Its a very reassuring number. I just want to see for myself, thats all. And thanks!

Bencar....I suppose it also depends on how you define "unsatisfied".

For example I was thrilled after my transplants, but was I "satisfied"?

No so I went back for more.

Bencar....I suppose it also depends on how you define "unsatisfied".

For example I was thrilled after my transplants, but was I "satisfied"?

No so I went back for more.

I understand. It seems its all relative and subjective I suppose. If you dont mind, could you provide a link to your pictures? I would like to see the great work done on you. Thank you!!

I'm sure you'll be fine either way Bencar . You seem to have it pretty well sussed - just go with the source you feel comfortable with .

I hope so! I want to be sure who i go see is on the ball and is the right one for my personal tastes. It s not easy finding the right one you know!

I understand. It seems its all relative and subjective I suppose. If you dont mind, could you provide a link to your pictures? I would like to see the great work done on you. Thank you!!!

Yes I think it is all relative. One guy may have a bad knee surgery and 1000's of other patients may have the same knee surgery with great results. The guy with the bad result is obviously going to be a "squeaky wheel" and also come away thinking "this sucks" because it didn't work for him....but in reality it worked well for the vast majority of patients.

I would be shocked if only 35% of hair transplant patients are happy 18 months post-op, but I will say that this surgery is certainly not for everyone. In fact I told someone recently at work that was asking about my surgery...that I think if this surgery was FREE there would still be a lot of balding guys that wouldn't do it. You have to REALLY want to do this and be able to deal with everything that comes along with it for it to work.

Here is the link you requested. I will be adding more as my 3rd journey concludes.

Hair Restoration Social Network ? Community for and by Hair Loss Patients

Natural-looking results can also be bad if the coverage is poor. What percentage can be accurate when hair loss never stops? Who are the patients and what are their goals?

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Appreciate the link. But can you include a current front pic? I didn't see any from your gallery except for a 1st week post op which of course isn't current. Thanks!!!

bencar I'm sorry but I was very reluctant to ever post any pictures, but finally did. I would think I have more pictures posted than most people that frequent this site because so many never post any pictures...so it's not all bad.

With that said I will not be posting any pictures yet of my 3rd journey. i appreciate those that document every step, but i don't do that....but I will at some point post some additional before and after pictures.

Here is one picture a few days ahead of my transplant last month. Of course this picture is not up close and is not what you requested...but it shows that for the most part my front was ok for a guy in his mid-fifties. I mainly wanted the mid and crown thickened up. We'll see how it works out...this current ugly duckling stage sucks...lol...but hey I'm on my way back!

PBCgrauation16_Hair.jpg

I think the satisfaction rate is much, much higher. Docs these days seem, at least to me, more careful about how they word things and setting realistic expectations and I see more comments about docs turning down people who are wildly unrealistic. Forums like this and others also help a lot of people to really understand what they are buying and can reasonably accomplish.

I suspect that about 80+% of pts are satisfied with their final results, recognizing that many patients undergo more than one HT to get to where they are satisfied.

bencar I'm sorry but I was very reluctant to ever post any pictures, but finally did. I would think I have more pictures posted than most people that frequent this site because so many never post any pictures...so it's not all bad.

With that said I will not be posting any pictures yet of my 3rd journey. i appreciate those that document every step, but i don't do that....but I will at some point post some additional before and after pictures.

PBCgrauation16_Hair.jpg

Hey looks great! Out of curiosity, would you consider getting another transplant done? I ask this because I've read other guys here wanted to get a 2nd or 3rd procedure done when they look like they dont need it. So would you get another transplant?

I think the satisfaction rate is much, much higher. Docs these days seem, at least to me, more careful about how they word things and setting realistic expectations and I see more comments about docs turning down people who are wildly unrealistic.

I suspect that about 80+% of pts are satisfied with their final results, recognizing that many patients undergo more than one HT to get to where they are satisfied.

80+? Hope youre right. But I wish I could see this in actual stats. Its one thing to blurt out an unknown number and quite another when its well researched.

Btw whats the next big thing in hair transplants science? Or maybe I should make this into a new thread.

Hey looks great! Out of curiosity, would you consider getting another transplant done? I ask this because I've read other guys here wanted to get a 2nd or 3rd procedure done when they look like they dont need it. So would you get another transplant?

bencar...I have already had 3 transplants...but the first one was so small and so long ago I almost think it "doesn't count". So let's start with I have had 2 "real" transplants in the last 4 years. The answer to your question is "yes" if I lost more hair I would consider another small type transplant. More of a "touch-up" transplant. Dr. Wong stated any additional transplants would have to be FUE and I have plenty of donor if needed down the road. I am hoping at 57 years old I now will have enough to "run out the clock"....but ya never know. My hair is still very important to me....that's why I try to tell the young guys that it may seem like a long time away until you are in your fifties, but you need to use the donor hair wisely, because you may want work done later.

bencar...I have already had 3 transplants...but the first one was so small and so long ago I almost think it "doesn't count". So let's start with I have had 2 "real" transplants in the last 4 years. The answer to your question is "yes" if I lost more hair I would consider another small type transplant. More of a "touch-up" transplant. Dr. Wong stated any additional transplants would have to be FUE and I have plenty of donor if needed down the road. I am hoping at 57 years old I now will have enough to "run out the clock"....but ya never know. My hair is still very important to me....that's why I try to tell the young guys that it may seem like a long time away until you are in your fifties, but you need to use the donor hair wisely, because you may want work done later.

I was wondering is theres a procedure that cuts out a large area of the back donor area to sew it in the front balding area?

I was wondering is theres a procedure that cuts out a large area of the back donor area to sew it in the front balding area?

bencar....I believe they used to do that in the early days of transplants and it was called "a flap".

I have been told that is what Donald Trump has is a old "flap type transplant".

As far as I know most the industry does not perform flap type surgery any longer.

You can read more about "flap hair transplant" surgery here:

Dangerous Hair Loss Procedures to Avoid

bencar....I believe they used to do that in the early days of transplants and it was called "a flap".

I have been told that is what Donald Trump has is a old "flap type transplant".

As far as I know most the industry does not perform flap type surgery any longer.

You can read more about "flap hair transplant" surgery here:

Dangerous Hair Loss Procedures to Avoid

Wow! At first I thought a procedure like this would be a "cure" for hair loss, depending on the amount of donor hair of course. Never did I think this would be abandoned by the doctors.

Why does god and nature work so much against us? Its like you feel like not believing in god altogether.

Hard to verify the statistics mentioned, but it wouldn't surprise me that a lot of HT patients are not happy.

Lot of people on this site want to throw money at the problem with a HT then don't even want to make the effort to use minox at night.

I'm not an expert in the HT industry, but I have a lot of experience in other businesses and marketing.

A good amount of HT's are probably being done by the big firms doing the most marketing in their area or maybe offering discount pricing. Are these the best HT firms?

Remember the post from the guy who was going to sign a contract with one of the national HT firms. Never saw so much screaming "DON'T DO IT".

I did a consult with one firm doing a lot of marketing in my area. They had the Artis system and I wanted FUE, they tried to switch me to FUT and told me they would only do 1500 grafts and i would need to come back in about 1 year if I wanted more.

I had seen the before/after pictures they showed me during the presentation on other websites but they where not posted on their page.

Plenty of shady operators in this industry, thus the strong need for a forum like HRN.

• 2 weeks later...
Hard to verify the statistics mentioned, but it wouldn't surprise me that a lot of HT patients are not happy.

Lot of people on this site want to throw money at the problem with a HT then don't even want to make the effort to use minox at night.

Well the problem is that with some patients, minox may carry unwanted side effects. Not every one responds to meds the same way.