How Hair Transplants "Grow," "Mature," and "Pop!" - Dr Blake Bloxham, Feller/Bloxham

Hello Dr. Bloxham.  Thank you for your very informative post!  I had a couple of questions based on what you wrote...

First, if all hair would normally go through catagen and telogen phases even when they're not extracted/disturbed, as part of the normal growth cycle, why does only transplanted hair grow back at a smaller caliber initially after it has shed (and thus needs to "mature")?

Second, on average, how thick (in terms of diameter of the follicular unit) would you say the hair is when it first starts growing back compared to its final thickness (e.g., 50%)?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, LordBaldwin said:

First, if all hair would normally go through catagen and telogen phases even when they're not extracted/disturbed, as part of the normal growth cycle, why does only transplanted hair grow back at a smaller caliber initially after it has shed (and thus needs to "mature")?

All hair- not just transplanted hair- grows back at smaller caliber initially and needs to mature.

10 minutes ago, Spaceman said:

All hair- not just transplanted hair- grows back at smaller caliber initially and needs to mature.

Ah, that would make sense.  Thanks!  Guess that just leaves the second question, then...

1 hour ago, LordBaldwin said:

Hello Dr. Bloxham.  Thank you for your very informative post!  I had a couple of questions based on what you wrote...

Second, on average, how thick (in terms of diameter of the follicular unit) would you say the hair is when it first starts growing back compared to its final thickness (e.g., 50%)?

Thanks!

I’m no doctor but from what I’ve read I would assume it’s due to the time needed for new nerves to form for the grafts blood supply, for your 1st question.

For your 2nd question, I believe I’ve seen posted that at maturity hairs from grafts should double in diameter , so yeah, 50% of initially.

Edited by CosmoKramer

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This thread has very good information. Would be nice to see the pictures....