HT Feedback

HCH

Gents,

I need your help and support to decide on a suitable treatment plan for my current hair loss issue.

My local surgeon suggested a 6000 FUE grafts in 2 days consecutive sessions + Finasteride .

Do you think HT surgery is a good option in my case?

Is natural look result guaranteed after 15 years from surgery?

Any recommended doctors for advanced NW scales in the Middle East?

Appreciate your valuable feedback and suggestions :)

5b32ed31c7e22_HC.thumb.jpg.1a594935b097b080ccf85d50f6f94acf.jpg

image1.thumb.JPG.e569c89e300196eb49feabb548b145ab.JPG

image4-min.thumb.JPG.b07d71f7e911b04393f029ffd3868282.JPG

image2.thumb.JPG.5005db3d40df4b5365723a0e7608ac0f.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG.1d116f1d420497178836c5b2129f436c.JPG

IMG_2723.JPG.e6cd225929cac6b048c997fd36360614.JPG

5b32ed3297535_image3(1).thumb.JPG.fce60b36ec76827258e5e32601f60483.JPG

DSC_1344.jpg.249eae5af4ce4a4fc90846e5c725c77b.jpg

6,000 should give you a really good result in the right doctor's hands as long as you keep your expectations in check. It won't be your 16 year old hair density but should hopefully turn out pretty good and something you'll be happy with. Best advice is to chose your doctor very wisely!!!! It all comes down to how good your doctor and his/her team and their practice is.

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

I would agree with Spex. With your level of loss 6000 grafts is going to take out most/all of your donor with FUE if the meds don't work for you then you are going to loose a lot more hair in the future. If you are set on going ahead then at least give the meds a bit of time so you know you can tolerate them and don't get side effects.

I would also be cautious about the hairline design that your Doctor proposed if you don't tolerate meds and keep the hair in the mid scalp and crown and you are relying on just the transplanted hair it is going to be very thin in years to come. A hairline like that might be ok once you know the meds are working but as a starting point I don't think it is a good idea.

If you move the hairline up to similar to where it is now you can get more coverage/density in these areas and have something that looks appropriate should you loose your native hair. You ask about natural in 15 years which is why I make my comments a low full hairline with a very thin crown is not something that you see in nature.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

I hear some docs saying we will do the hair transplant in such a way that if you had future hair loss it will cover it and look more like thinning. Then it will be up to you if you want more hair transplants in future.

Is this possible ?

Hi Rashid, It is possible but long term if you have extensive loss and sides recede and drop then the front will look top heavy and there will be gaps between permanent transplanted hair and donor. Another surgery will be neccessary to reconstruct these areas.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

6,000 should give you a really good result in the right doctor's hands as long as you keep your expectations in check. It won't be your 16 year old hair density but should hopefully turn out pretty good and something you'll be happy with. Best advice is to chose your doctor very wisely!!!! It all comes down to how good your doctor and his/her team and their practice is.

Modern hair,

Thanks for your advice.

That's what exactly my doctor suggested but still i am very cautious about future hair loss and unnatural look in the long term.

Also as you know, donor hair is usually limited and i am not sure if a 2nd surgery would be possible especially that my hair loss is progressive.

What do you think if i just restored my hairline with 2000 grafts and waited till loosing the remaining hair to go for a 2nd surgery?

In my opinion and if not already I strongly consider medical therapy to help stabilise your situation initially. Get you loss under control as hair loss is progressive. Create a solid platform/ foundation to work upon via HT. Then after 12 months reassess your situation prior to embarking on any HT.

Regards

Spex

Hi Spex & David,

Actually, i have started using Proscar (1.25 Mg) for the last 3 weeks and so far i didn't notice any sides but i think it's too early to judge.

I will wait till the 4 months mark and see if it works.

I agree with you that 6000 grafts is a lot to be used at this stage specially that my native hairs are very thin.

When i discussed this point with the doctor, he suggested the use of Finasteride as a continuous treatment to delay my hair loss as much as possible.

Also, i didn't get a clear response from him regarding the natural look in the long term and that's why i am seeking your advice.

What do you think if i just restored a conservative hairline with 2000 grafts and waited till loosing the remaining hairs to go for a 2nd surgery?

Which method is best to go for FUT or FUE taking into consideration that i usually wear my hair short (Clip# 3) as shown in the pics?

I would agree with Spex. With your level of loss 6000 grafts is going to take out most/all of your donor with FUE if the meds don't work for you then you are going to loose a lot more hair in the future. If you are set on going ahead then at least give the meds a bit of time so you know you can tolerate them and don't get side effects.

I would also be cautious about the hairline design that your Doctor proposed if you don't tolerate meds and keep the hair in the mid scalp and crown and you are relying on just the transplanted hair it is going to be very thin in years to come. A hairline like that might be ok once you know the meds are working but as a starting point I don't think it is a good idea.

If you move the hairline up to similar to where it is now you can get more coverage/density in these areas and have something that looks appropriate should you loose your native hair. You ask about natural in 15 years which is why I make my comments a low full hairline with a very thin crown is not something that you see in nature.

Hi Spex & David,

Actually, i have started using Proscar (1.25 Mg) for the last 3 weeks and so far i didn't notice any sides but i think it's too early to judge.

I will wait till the 4 months mark and see if it works.

I agree with you that 6000 grafts is a lot to be used at this stage specially that my native hairs are very thin.

When i discussed this point with the doctor, he suggested the use of Finasteride as a continuous treatment to delay my hair loss as much as possible.

Also, i didn't get a clear response from him regarding the natural look in the long term and that's why i am seeking your advice.

What do you think if i just restored a conservative hairline with 2000 grafts and waited till loosing the remaining hairs to go for a 2nd surgery?

Which method is best to go for FUT or FUE taking into consideration that i usually wear my hair short (Clip# 3) as shown in the pics?

I think doing some more conservative at this stage makes a lot more sense. If you restore a mature hairline with 2000 grafts with FUE as you say then you have a back out plan. You will not have over harvested the donor area and financing it will be easier on you. If you wish to go FUT I would wait longer and make sure the meds are working, if you want to get something done sooner then FUE with a smaller session.

If the meds don't work and you loose more hair and decide to call it a day you can still buzz your hair short and have some facial framing that will look appropriate.

Thank you all for your help & support :)

I am really impressed with this forum. It looks very ethical and professional.

As you suggested, I will give a chance for medicines before embarking into HT surgeries.

It's really confusing and not an easy decision to make especially when every surgeon provide you a different treatment plan with no clear explanation or logical answer (fish market).

Do you have any recommendation for an ethical Doc in the Middle East region?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree you should go more conservative than what you have drawn out. You can always drop it at a later date if you are unhappy, but I think a 3500 to 4k session will make you pretty happy now by basically beefing up the hairline that you have. You only get 1 shot at doing a placing a hairline right that lasts you til you die. Do it cautiously.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree you should go more conservative than what you have drawn out. You can always drop it at a later date if you are unhappy, but I think a 3500 to 4k session will make you pretty happy now by basically beefing up the hairline that you have. You only get 1 shot at doing a placing a hairline right that lasts you til you die. Do it cautiously.

Thanks a lot Spanker, i really appreciate your advice :)

I am on Fin for almost a month and so far i didn't notice any side effects or any change in my hair loss condition so i will wait for another 4 to 6 months and then reassess my situation.

Meanwhile, i am still searching for a qualified surgeon in my region and checking what could be the appropriate method to go for FUT or FUE?

Some Doctors recommended a combination of both while others suggested FUE in 2 sessions

What's your opinion in this regard and do you recommend anyone in the Middle East?

Note: please see below Dr. Konior's recommendation

"2000 grafts placed at the front should make a good density improvement. Placing more would certainly increase the risk of shock as your preexisting hair population is significant. You could consider about 1000 for some coverage in the crown. It makes sense to use a much lower density in the crown so as to create a thinning look. Attempting full, high density coverage will surely deplete your donor area.

Rogaine is the only good alternative to finasteride, but it is not as effective. There is no way to predict how many surgeries you will need since I can’t fully predict how much more thinning you will have over the years and I can’t predict exactly what will make you happy in terms of final density. Some men are content with a relatively thin look while others demand high density. What you can do over the years is totally dependent on your donor supply, which unfortunately is limited. The more you keep your goals conservative, the more likely you are to achieve those goals."

• 2 weeks later...

HCH ,

You've been given excellent advice in this thread so there's not really much to add .

Just my opinion , but I certainly wouldn't be lowering the hairline to the extent marked out in the opening post , for all the reasons given .

Keep up on the Fin and see how things go . I certainly wouldn't rush into things at your age / level of hair loss . See how things turn out and take it from there .

Thanks a lot Spanker, i really appreciate your advice :)

I am on Fin for almost a month and so far i didn't notice any side effects or any change in my hair loss condition so i will wait for another 4 to 6 months and then reassess my situation.

Meanwhile, i am still searching for a qualified surgeon in my region and checking what could be the appropriate method to go for FUT or FUE?

Some Doctors recommended a combination of both while others suggested FUE in 2 sessions

What's your opinion in this regard and do you recommend anyone in the Middle East?

Note: please see below Dr. Konior's recommendation

"2000 grafts placed at the front should make a good density improvement. Placing more would certainly increase the risk of shock as your preexisting hair population is significant. You could consider about 1000 for some coverage in the crown. It makes sense to use a much lower density in the crown so as to create a thinning look. Attempting full, high density coverage will surely deplete your donor area.

Rogaine is the only good alternative to finasteride, but it is not as effective. There is no way to predict how many surgeries you will need since I can’t fully predict how much more thinning you will have over the years and I can’t predict exactly what will make you happy in terms of final density. Some men are content with a relatively thin look while others demand high density. What you can do over the years is totally dependent on your donor supply, which unfortunately is limited. The more you keep your goals conservative, the more likely you are to achieve those goals."

Ya can't get better advice than Konior

Fin, Rogaine, conservative goals

...wait a year + on fin and Rogaine

Not 6 months

Hi Chris/ Rev,

Thanks a lot for your advice and valuable feedback.

Unfortunately, after being on Fin for almost 6 weeks i started noticing some side effects (low libido & erection issues) so i have stopped using it right now and see if i will get back to normal.

My only option now is Rogaine foam, hope it will help :(

• 2 years later...
On 6/15/2016 at 3:39 AM, HCH said:

Gents,

I need your help and support to decide on a suitable treatment plan for my current hair loss issue.

My local surgeon suggested a 6000 FUE grafts in 2 days consecutive sessions + Finasteride .

IMG_5332.jpg

IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5334.jpg

IMG_5335.jpg

IMG_5336.jpg

Hello guys,

It's been almost 3 years since i joined this forum and still very hesitant to embark in the HT journey.

Now i am back to reassess my options as i think my hair loss has slightly stabilized (37 years).

I have consulted few surgeons and most of them recommended 3000 to 4000 grafts FUE or combo FUT + FUE to cover the front and mid scalp.

I have posted my recent photos and counting on your opinion to decide on a proper treatment plan.

• Do you think natural look result is guaranteed after 15 years from surgery?
  • Do you recommend FUE or FUT + FUE
  • How many grafts do you think it would give me a decent coverage ?
  • Any recommended doctors for advanced NW scales in Turkey or India?

NB: I used finasteride previously and stopped it after 1 month due to the presence of side effects.

• Administrators

hmm your hair loss has gotten worse since 2016, I don't think it's stabilized, but truthfully you barely have hair left so it's not going to make a difference anyways. At this point I really think your best option is to start with a large strip procedure and finish with FUE. You are going to need a lot of grafts. As for will the results look natural after 15 years, check out our YouTube video. Hair transplants definitely last more than 15 years.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I honestly think u look fine the way U are. It looks natural to me .. I never looked twice at someone with natural hair loss .. it’s when they start covering it up with some weird combover or hairstyle , that puts attention to their hair , that’s when people notice .. 

ur hairloss seems quite extensive ,. N ur donor doesn’t look plenty . I’m not sure what kind of result u are looking for.. fut will provide u with the most hair overall, but I don’t think u have enough hair on the back to cover the scar in the future after 2-3 transplants..

u really need to find a top doc , that can give u masterplan n provide u with some realistic expectations ,. Best wishes .. 

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

hmm your hair loss has gotten worse since 2016, I don't think it's stabilized, but truthfully you barely have hair left so it's not going to make a difference anyways. At this point I really think your best option is to start with a large strip procedure and finish with FUE. You are going to need a lot of grafts. As for will the results look natural after 15 years, check out our YouTube video. Hair transplants definitely last more than 15 years.

Thanks Melvin, i get your point but i don't think my hair loss was too progressive for the last 3 years.

If you noticed my hair style is very short now that's why you see the difference. 

Going for FUT is a real concern for me as i am looking to keep an option for buzz or shaved head.

If i can have a well designed hairline with decent coverage in the middle that would be fine for me. Definitely i wouldn't touch my crown for now as i need to manage the use of my donor hair efficiently. 

Previously, Dr. Erdogan (top surgeon in Turkey) suggested 6000 grafts FUE but i am not really convinced with his plan.

Do you think going for 3000 to 3500 grafts is wise at this stage and doesn't make a significant change cosmetically?

3 hours ago, Legend007 said:

I honestly think u look fine the way U are. It looks natural to me .. I never looked twice at someone with natural hair loss .. it’s when they start covering it up with some weird combover or hairstyle , that puts attention to their hair , that’s when people notice .. 

ur hairloss seems quite extensive ,. N ur donor doesn’t look plenty . I’m not sure what kind of result u are looking for.. fut will provide u with the most hair overall, but I don’t think u have enough hair on the back to cover the scar in the future after 2-3 transplants..

u really need to find a top doc , that can give u masterplan n provide u with some realistic expectations ,. Best wishes .. 

Hi Legend, many thanks for your feedback.

I am just looking to build my hairline and have some coverage in the middle.

As i quoted to Melvin, i am not comfortable going with FUT as i want to keep an option for buzz or shave head in future.

Do you think going for 3000 to 3500 grafts is wise at this stage and doesn't make a significant change cosmetically?

Any recommendation for an experienced Doc in Asia?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, HCH said:

Thanks Melvin, i get your point but i don't think my hair loss was too progressive for the last 3 years.

If you noticed my hair style is very short now that's why you see the difference. 

Going for FUT is a real concern for me as i am looking to keep an option for buzz or shaved head.

If i can have a well designed hairline with decent coverage in the middle that would be fine for me. Definitely i wouldn't touch my crown for now as i need to manage the use of my donor hair efficiently. 

Previously, Dr. Erdogan (top surgeon in Turkey) suggested 6000 grafts FUE but i am not really convinced with his plan.

Do you think going for 3000 to 3500 grafts is wise at this stage and doesn't make a significant change cosmetically?

3000 grafts will give you a change, but not a huge change. You will look less bald, but still balding. If you're okay with that than you can start to move forward. It really comes down to expectations. Your donor doesn't look that dense, so I don't see you getting 6,000 grafts. Maybe 4,500 tops before it starts looking depleted. I mean you can definitely restore the hairline with light coverage in the middle.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 6/15/2016 at 3:39 AM, HCH said:

Gents,

Edited by HCH