This 48-year-old was left with severe scarring alopecia on the caudal region of his scalp for over a decade. The cause was an aggressive scalp condition called folliculitis decalvans. He had undergone various antibiotic therapies to control the condition and stabilize it for about 11 years. Finally, because of the significant cosmetic impact it had on his day-to-day life, he reached out to our team to treat the area with surgical hair restoration.

There were numerous aspects of this 2074-graft follicular unit transplantation (FUT) case that made it memorable. Scalp thickness and health in the recipient area is often compromised from this condition. Platelet rich plasma (PRP) coupled with an extracellular matrix may have helped graft viability in the recipient area.. However, within a few months, he could already see improvement and one year later, his confidence was back as his scalp coverage was as seen in the images below.

While not all instances of cicatricial alopecia result in this type of transformation, it is certainly treatable. For those interested, I co-authored a chapter on this condition years ago in the textbook, Dermatologic Therapy. I believe the full text is available for free.

Slide03.jpg

Slide04.jpg

Slide05.jpg

Slide06.jpg

Slide02.jpg

Life-changing result. Bravo Dr. Wesley.

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Wow...very good coverage with a small number of grafts!

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Woah! These results are outstanding. I can't even imagine how thrilled he must be.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments! Another interesting aspect of his surgery was that his scalp was markedly thinner than a healthy scalp. This forced graft site creation and placement to occur at a much more acute angle than normal in order for the graft to be fully embedded within the thin scalp.

It's exciting to see this type of healthy growth as it's an indicator that other patients with scalp conditions akin to his may also benefit from surgical hair restoration.

• 9 months later...

Slide128.jpg

Slide129.jpg

I have worked with 26 different hair restoration doctors throughout my career. I have now been a nurse with Dr. Wesley for more than a decade.

Dr. Carlos Wesley is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

1050 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10028

Ph (844) 745-6362

www.drcarloswesley.com