4069 grafts, Dr Koray Erdogan at Asmed clinic 31/05/16 - 01/06/16

I had a hair transplant with dr koray Erdogan at the asmed clinic last week over 2 days 31/5-1/6, thought i'd share my experience and results incase it helps anyone make a decision about getting a hair transplant in he future like reading other peoples experiences did with me, i'm 38 years old and have been losing my hair for the best part of 10 years, being on propecia for the last 5 years. I took the decision to get a ht a couple of years ago and started saving, in the meantime I started reviewing cinics here in the uk and abroad, after a lot of reasearch I decided to go to the asmed clinic and Dr Koray Erdogan mainly due to reading the reviews of the excellent results and cleanliness of his clinic.

I arrived in Istanbul Monday may 30th and after meeting my driver and being taken to the hotel I was told to meet back in the lobby later that day to go to the surgery for the pre procedure checks, the hotel by the way is a lovely radisson blu hotel that the clinic make all the reservations for you, after getting picked up on time I was taken a short 5 minute ride to the clinic, the first thing your greeted with is this snazzy machine which shrink wraps your shoes for cleanliness, then I waited for my co-ordinator Sevinc, I had been in contact with her throughout the last year by email sending pics for my consultation and answering all the questions I had, what I never realised was she would stay right by my side the whole time I was at the clinic which was very reassuring. We went downstairs to get photos taken and head shaved, I then met the man himself Dr Koray, after agreeing on a hairline and having the medical checks and paying for the procedure I was taken back to the hotel. I must point out everyone at the clinic is so nice, from the receptionist, to the girl who takes your pics, the girl who washes your hair, to my op team who intruduced themselves too. Everyone is so kind and friendly.

The next morning after a buffet breakfast I was met in the hotel Lobby at 7.10, Sevinc was waiting for me on arrival at the clinic and I was taken straight downstairs to get on my op clothes which they provide, then you get your head reshaved and then put in a room where you can choose your dvd's that you can watch during the op. Then its showtime, Sevinc took me to my op room, a Dr came in to check my heart rate before we began, I think his name was Dr Umut, he's a pretty cool guy, it took my op team 2 hours 45 mins to extract the donar hair, during that time Sevinc was on hand incase I needed anything and the other girls in the room constantly asked if I was ok too. Once the extractions were over I was taken out for a bathroom break and food. Waiting for me was a lovely steak with mash and rice, soup and small bowls of salad and turkish food too. Dr Umut sat with me and gave me some pills to take and asked if I was in any pain which I wasnt. Then a lady walks in and gives you a neck and back massage. After thats over I was taken back into my op room where Dr Koray did his thing and the op team did the rest, I was all finished at 2.45. I was then taken back to the hotel. The worst part of the whole process is trying to sleep, the clinic give you a bag of all the stuff you need which includes a flight pillow that you have to sleep in for 5 days, as its a 2 day op i've just had the six worst nights sleep of my life and i pleased to say the pillow is now well and truely in the bin.

Day 2 of the op was pretty much the same as day 1 although I also got a foot massage to go along with my back massage.

Day 3, I was picked up a bit later today 8.20 and taken to the clinic to be shown how to wash my hair and have final pictures taken, dr koray came in to check on everything too. After saying goodbye and sharing hugs with everyone who looked after me I was taken back to the airport for the journey home.

A bit of technical informaton about my surgery, even though I paid for 4000 grafts they actually took 4069 at no extra cost at a ratio of 2.36 per graft. Tempral 501 grafts at 2.20 hairs per graft, parietal 1313 grafts at 2.27 hairs per graft, occipital 2255 grafts at 2.45 hairs per graft. It breaks down at 440 singles, 1931 doubles, 1489 triples, 198 quadrouples, and 11 quintpules.

I thoughly recommed this clinic, they are brilliant and take care of everything, I will update this thread with my 10 day pics and then monthly after that. If anyone is reading this who are thinking about getting a hair transplant and has any questions I will be happy to answer them if I can.

_20160608_141138.thumb.jpg.4128ee2182bf576f263174fb0b7add5d.jpg

_20160608_141025.thumb.jpg.5dff5b3f4aeda1dbd6e6a10440841813.jpg

_20160608_141002.thumb.jpg.62ebb5127a44ef769b6091a660f3f406.jpg

_20160608_141056.thumb.jpg.09d809a407798d2a6f13c3db42b557f0.jpg

_20160608_141850.thumb.JPG.e637645ef23f947bb0718bc30be44b83.JPG

_20160608_141921.thumb.JPG.86ca2a8e9e2f485562ccf3068b74b2e1.JPG

DSC_0800.thumb.jpg.a19c9596b10d6f73bd75f5ff0da5a65d.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent write and as a fellow potential uk asmed fan I look forward to following this thread , I too have been qoute a very similar number of grafts by dr Koray .

Just a couple of questions please ,

Did dr erdogan give you your total donor capacity ?

Have you have you had any other live consultations and what were the quotes or available graft numbers ?

What did your hair measure in microns / thickness of shaft ?

Did you have any grafts in the vertex ?

What were dr korays thoughts on your future loss ?

Did he or do you think the finasteride has stopped your hair loss progression ?

How much control did you have of designing your own hairline ?

What was your initial virtual consultation qoute from asmed ?

Did you feel any unrest in Istanbul especially with recent bomb attacks etc ?

Did you venture out into Istanbul , is the clinch near to any local shopping or attractions etc ?

Did you consider any other clinicsin turkey or was is asmed from the start ?

If the clinic have provided you with the pictures taken by them it would be great for everyone to see your starting point .

Cheers

Hi, i'll answer all your questions in order.

Total donar capacity 8900

Had 2 consultations in England one said 2200 another said 2500 either way both more expensive than in Turkey.

Cant remember what my hair measured in microns, i'll be emailing them my 10 day pics over the weekend so I could always ask then.

I didnt have any grafts in the vertex as that would have been another 800 grafts, my vertex is not too bad and I could always pop back in years to come if I wanted to. He said it may not get any worse if I keep taking propecia.

He draws the hairline on you what he thinks looks good and then asks if you want to change that, I met him a few weeks ago when they were doing London consultations and he drew a hairline which I loved, when in Turkey he drew another in me which I thought was a bit high so he redrew it similar to what he drew on me in London.

4800 was the online quote, 3300 front, 700 mid, 800 vertex but choose to do front and mid.

Obviously going to Istanbul is not ideal, and was a bit of a worry especially for my family, I promised them I wouldnt go walking around, but the clinic and hotel is the aisa side of the city not near the touristy european side where the trouble has been, and to be honest I litteraly went straight from airport to hotel, hotel to clinic and the same again so your never really out of a car or in a building.

I did have a think about going to dr doganay, but after several bad reviews over the last 6 months it was only ever going to be the asmed clinic.

The clinic give you a dongle thingy for the computer with the pics on, I'll get them on the laptop later an put them on.

Hope this helps you, do you have any other clinics in mind? How long have you been researching clinics?

Thanks for your prompt informative reply , all in all it seems like have had a had a very positive experience and I'm sure you will be another success from this clinic , I don't think I've ever seen any bad results . The only other surgeon I am considering now is dr Lorenzo in Madrid but his prices are much more expensive . I too went to London and had a hairline drawn in that was very pleasing but I felt it was a little too aggressive as it was lower than my hairline as ever been . My only concern is that dr Koray won't adjust the hairline to how I would like it , I've emailed to ask about adjusting the hairline and I'm waiting to see if it's possible before I book a date in January. Look forward to watching this thread progress

Hi Richie, great post and very encouraging to see yet another positive review for Asmed.

A few questions...

1. Did you experience much swelling and if so which days were the worst and how long before it subsided? Did it swell up again or a lot on the flight home?
  2. How many days did you stay in Istanbul after the surgery?
  3. Did you book a 'single' room with Asmed at the Radisson Blu? I'm still confused whether the single room comes with a double bed?
  4. I know you said sleeping with the neck pillow was terrible but was it actually painful or just really uncomfortable to sleep with the pillow itself?

I will be eagerly following your results over the coming months, particularly as booked in for surgery with Dr Erdogan on Oct 11th. :cool:

Thanks Nav, not much I can do but wait and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

JustJax to answer your questions.

1) I had a bit of swelling on the forehead after the transplant, then on the plane on the way home it felt like I had a sore eye, when I got home I saw I had 2 black eyes 1 of which was quite swollen, that lasted a couple of days, then my shoulders started ao ache, that was for a few days too. All in all the worst days were 4-6 post op. Its day 7 today and feel alot better, the back of my neck was sore where the hair was taken from but definitely feel i'm past the worst of it now as although its still a bit tingly its nowhere near as badcas the last few days.

2. I went home in the evening the day after surgery,I arrived on the monday, op was tuesday and wednesday home on thursday, the day after your surgery you go back to the clinic to be shown how to wash your hair, then after a couple of other bits your back in the hotel by 10am, so I was pleased to go home, no real reason to stay any longer unless its just a precaution thing to stay an extra day.

3. The clinic book everything for you but my room was lovely, it had a big bed, king size I think. A desk, and a nice shower room, the only fault was the crap tv channels. Justva couple of english ones, bbc entertainment, bbc news and sky news. So if you have a dvd player i'd suggest bring that.

4. For me it was painful and uncomfortable but its just one of those things you gotta do. Maybe someone else reading this will be able to give you some tips on using it comfortably, I've had some terrible nights sleep with it but its only for a few days and like I said earlier its well and truely in the bin now.

Hi Ritchie. Congrats on the transplant. Your age, your level of baldness and the fact you have been on fin 5 years; I am sure this will be a awesome result.

I agree with the tv channels in the hotel! They were crap! I spend my time just walking around the area which was tiring and I found the drivers are not pedestrian friendly. Even the traffic lights confused me.

Day 10 and the scabs are dropping off lovely today, didnt want to overrub my head so will get the remainder off either later this evening or tomorrow. I'll put pics up once they are all gone.

A quick couple of question's for anyone who's been to asmed, should I continue to use the foam now my head is clear of scabs? And also once my shampoo they gave me is empty can anyone recommend a shampoo to use after that. Thanks.

I used baby shampoo which is probably advised by most guys here. Get the big bottle..once you finish it you should be able to switch to your normal shampoo. I shampooed twice a day to speed up the process.

Once the scabs have been fully removed, you don't need the foam anymore. I also have been using baby shampoo. I think I will stick to baby shampoo as it is gentle on the scalp and has less chemicals

Yep, Johnson's is alright. That is what I am using. I found using Asmed's shampoo or any other branded shampoo such as Head and Shoulders leave scalp flaky and dried up. Johnson's baby shampoo doesn't do this to my scalp

10 day update pics.

Looking great Ritchie! You can hardly see anything has been done to the donor area. Looks like little or no redness either? Only hope I'm as lucky!

So are you back at work now? How are you finding it 10 days on?

Thanks, I actually just deleted the pics as I couldnt seem to get them to facevthe right way up, so will put them back on later, yeah I worked tuesday, thursday and friday last week so was back in the swing pretty quickly, 10 days in I still have a bit of soreness in the donar area at the back of my neck but nothing too bad, I just take an ibuprofen if needed. I guess i've got lucky with the redness. Fingers crossed it'll be the same for you.

Thanks, I actually just deleted the pics as I couldnt seem to get them to facevthe right way up, so will put them back on later, yeah I worked tuesday, thursday and friday last week so was back in the swing pretty quickly, 10 days in I still have a bit of soreness in the donar area at the back of my neck but nothing too bad, I just take an ibuprofen if needed. I guess i've got lucky with the redness. Fingers crossed it'll be the same for you.

I was wondering why the post kept disappearing. :confused: :D I wouldn't worry about the pic orientation if your struggling with it, most people are just happen to see the pics.

BTW, did you have the optional PRP treatment?

No didnt do the prp treatment, they said it has no effect on your hair regrowth only healing time so thought it was an expense I could do without, some of the guys having their transplant the same time as me had it and some didnt, I think its just a personal choice.

Hey Ritchie, great post and thanks for sharing your experience. I have a quote of 4500 grafts from Dr Koray and it's really helpful to know what you've gone through.

You're looking great in your 10 day pics - no wonder you're smiling! :)

Thanks for all the nice responces,

MrOne are you all booked up with Dr Koray or are you still going through consultations with other surgeons?

Thought i'd put a few more pics up taken at the surgery to show what my hair was like before the transplant.

022.thumb.jpg.ba6d08ffefffec5035983d826b7b5f93.jpg

033.thumb.jpg.b45f0a0d4790c4b8fe6501773da0083d.jpg

044.thumb.jpg.31be97d2107f0008d75169629179135f.jpg

065.thumb.jpg.fe62139338f481253bea13bfb0d72e18.jpg

073.thumb.jpg.6c0a537a4bebb2cf2ed8cf01e1b19616.jpg

074.thumb.jpg.303153d1ec7dff3cf802b1bcf862533e.jpg

Thanks for all the nice responces,

MrOne are you all booked up with Dr Koray or are you still going through consultations with other surgeons?

I'm trying to figure out dates and stuff right now, so really just considering my options. I haven't booked any other consultations yet. I suppose I should... just to make a comparison but I think Asmed is the clinic for me tbh. I think the result would be worth the travel to Turkey.

I've only just started taking fin again recently due to Asmed's advice.

I was taking 1mg daily last year but came off it due to side effects. I'm taking half 1mg daily at the moment to see how it goes.

Have you always taken the full dosage and have you suffered any side effects?