Poor Candidate?

My situation / My goals:

I'm a Norwood 6 going on Norwood 7. Been balding since age 16, am now 31.

I have had SMP (Micropigmentation) which works well and looks natural.

I would like to combine some FUE with the SMP, focusing on the hairline area only. Using 1000 - 2000 Grafts. Which may sound odd as you may think that it would look silly having hair at the front and SMP behind. I currently leave a tiny bit of length to my hair, say 0.4mm and you don't notice the texture of the hair compared to the SMP 2D scalp unless you go up pretty close. I have never had anyone question my SMP, only had positive comments.

Adding some hair to the front will improve things by adding subtle texture + extra darkness to match with my beard/eyebrows better and give off a better look.

I would have the hairline done at a medium density and then gradually thinning out and placement becoming more random as it goes back. I would then get another SMP done darker and blend it into the new hair.

Is this even an option for me?

With my advanced stage of baldness and a pretty rubbish donor area I may not even be able to get 1000 - 2000 FUE out of this?......

I remember when I first started balding I was obviously very pissed off. Out of frustration I regularly used to pull hairs from the back of my head, particularly behind my ears and at the bottom of my neck. You can see patches here and there where I pulled hair out. It is supposed to hurt when hair is pulled out, but I could pluck hairs easily with no pain, more than one at a time - so possibly a sign that my donor hair/follicles are weak?

On a kind of few positive things..... Please note that I would get SMP into the depleted donor area after the transplant. I guess the back of the head is not too important, as long as it doesn't look a mess after surgery + SMP - then maybe depleting it would not be too much of an issue....Can possibly combine body hair with head hair too, although my chest has barely any hair on it and my beard hair is much coarser and darker than my head hair....so would have to look at that in detail when and if it comes to it.

Here are some photos of my donor area.....Any ideas if somewhere between 1000-2000 grafts could be taken from here without causing too much issue. To me the area looks thin as hell to be honest......The fact that I have had SMP probably makes it look like there's more hair there than there actually is..........

IMG_4860.jpg

IMG_4878.jpg

IMG_4951.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg

IMG_5011.jpg

And just to show my SMP from the front, here is an image:

IMG777.jpg

Any help / advice is much appreciated, thanks.

That's a great smp result. Impossible for anyone to tell what is native hair and what is smp from those pics. You would probably need to grow it out and get a one on one consultation to assess your donor availability. There would also be the option of using body hair, depending on your body donor , although results seem variable with this. From your pics, you look to have good facial characteristics to carry off your current look.

That's a great smp result. Impossible for anyone to tell what is native hair and what is smp from those pics. You would probably need to grow it out and get a one on one consultation to assess your donor availability. There would also be the option of using body hair, depending on your body donor , although results seem variable with this. From your pics, you look to have good facial characteristics to carry off your current look.

Cheers for you comments/feedback.

I took some photos today with a bit more growth to my hair.......my hair is so screwed, that donor is so thin, and moth bitten. Jesus....

Anyway....not expecting much positive feedback in terms of me being able to do what I want, although all I want is somewhere between 1000-2000 grafts + I can get the donor area filled in with SMP.....Looks like it needs filling in anyway as it is pretty thin and patchy (which has a lot to do with me pulling hair out at the initial frustration of starting to lose my hair 15 years ago.

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5111.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

My SMP result is good, I was hugely skeptical about getting it done, and did a lot of research before getting it done. Made sure I had an experienced practitioner and made sure I got the hairline feathered and positioned correctly. Had nothing but positive comments.

Some further SMP images:

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_5024.jpg

Honestly, your scalp looks great the way it is with the SMP. Like others, I can't tell which are your natural hair is and which are the scalp tattooing. So would be difficult to advise you on how many grafts I think you might need if you decided to undergo hair transplant surgery.

Scalp micro pigmentation can be used in conjunction with hair transplant surgery to aid the appearance of density. But I don't think it's a good idea to have longer hair in the front with a bald scalp in the back showing just stubble either from hair or the tattooing. Think that would look unnatural. Consistency is what is key. I'm not sure how much hair you actually have so it's hard to advise you. But you may want to consult with a experience hair transplant surgeon to discuss these options.

Best wishes,

Bill