My experience with Dr. Steven Gabel, Seattle/ Portland

I am a physician and I have had hair loss for a couple decades. I did my research and finally got a FUT with Dr Steven Gabel in Oregon. He is a very respectful physician and a caring person. He is board certified and knows his work. He has done an incredible job with my surgery. I got a total of 2803 grafts for a Norwood IV baldness. His aseptic technique was state of the art and he was very meticulous about surgical technique. He gave me local anesthesia with SQ lidocaine and made the incision himself and extracted the donor site. I've not seen many transplant surgeons implant the grafts themselves. He is there implanting every graft himself along with his assistants watching them carefully and mindfully. From the moment I walked into his office, his staff have been phenomenal through out my journey through this process. Dr Gabel and his office personnel were very easy to reach, affable and professional. I've had world class care with no problems at all. They were the best of all the doctor's offices I have been to. He even came in on a memorial day weekend for me to remove my sutures at the 10 day time point.

I have had great results and I am now 17 months since my implants and I have had a great result. I look younger than I ever did and am extremely satisfied with the results. This is an art, especially drawing the frontal line and he does an incredible job making it look as much natural as possible.

With no reservations, I strongly recommend Dr Steven Gabel and his team to anyone looking to get a hair transplant in the Pacific Northwest. Being a physician, I know what to look for in your surgeon and every aspect of the surgery. He will exceed your expectations.

• 9 months later...

Dr. Gabel is worth traveling for, he's that good, I flew in from Texas on two separate occasions just to book appointments with him.

Hair restoration is too big a deal to not go to a quality surgeon the first time, take your time and get it right.

That said, Gabel should be near the top of the list for anybody considering surgical restoration for their hair.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I agree with Speegs 100%. If you are going to do it, don't look for cheap and/or local. If that means you have to fly somewhere, then do it. From what I have seen and heard about Dr. Gabel from some very highly regarded surgeons as well as patients, he would be in my top 3 list in the USA.

• 4 weeks later...
I am a physician and I have had hair loss for a couple decades. I did my research and finally got a FUT with Dr Steven Gabel in Oregon.

Thank you! If you get a chance, please show us some pics of how things turn out, always nice to see.

• 8 months later...
Isn't it recommended to use FUE over FUT? That's what my local clinics said
Do these clinics offer both? A quality practice will offer both, a questionable one will only offer FUE exclusively.

There's a lot of misinformation out there surrounding FUE such as calling it scarless, it isn't.

Reputable doctors tend to lean toward FUT for large cases and FUE for smaller cases or for touch up work or even scar revision, it's always going to be case by case for every patient.

I'd also be wary of a doctor using a robot instead of doing it manually as a proven surgeon, there are a lot of people jumping into the industry and relying on robots to appear cutting-edge in order to compensate for their lack of experience, and such practices only offer FUE and not FUT.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016