Message to young guys starting to lose hair!

Hey guys, I've spent a lot of time on this forum but only recently joined. Long story short I always had crazy thick hair and then back in August of 2015 it hit me I may actually be losing it. To be honest I've always been a bit unhappy with my appearance and for a while I kept thinking I just was getting really bad hair cuts and my hair was looking weird. Then it really hit me that I am losing my hair. I was really depressed for a while, then angry and bitter. I tried to tell my friends and family but my friends made fun of me for it and my family didn't believe me. It really was an awful feeling and it felt like no matter what I did nothing was going to help. All I could do was watch it fall out. Eventually my parents believed me and even said they would help pay for an FUE procedure. I got 600 grafts done about 2 weeks ago and I started using rogain foam a few days ago as well under the suggestion of my doctor. I may use propecia in the future as well but for now I'm sticking with the rogain. I'm so excited to see the results of the treatments and for the first time I'm actually looking forward to seeing what I'll look like a year from now! I guess what I want to say is while it really does suck to start losing your hair at a young age (I'm 21 started losing hair at about 19 or so) there is hope! I'm no expert but my advise is to get on some preventative treatments ASAP and save as much hair as you can. Go with the proven tried and true methods like Rogain or propecia. Hair transplants work and are pretty easy to get through if you can drop that kind of money. Also I've noticed that getting a really good haircut from a good barber or hair stylist can make a huge difference as well. I also started being smarter with the shampoos and conditioners I used and started blow drying my hair as well. This stuff might not prevent hair loss itself but it will make you look better in the mean time. I guess I'm trying to say don't be depressed about losing hair! Take it as a challenge head on and start taking action as soon as you can.

• 5 weeks later...

oxyginger8,

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your experience and heartfelt advice! I hope you'll continue to contribute and share some photos so we can follow your hair restoration journey.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 1 month later...

Oh yes...

Respect to you, this is what I love to hear,a young boy with a mature head on his shoulders.

Great advice!

Oh another thing, your so called buddies who's been making fun of you, then if there is say 10 of them, I bet you at least 4 of them wont be laughing at you in the near future because they will proberly have there deserts here soon trust me it will happen.

Good luck.

Edited by ontop
edit

• 3 months later...

Thank you so much for your advice. This is going to help my sister a lot. She started loosing her hair from a very young age. She ordered number of hair care products from an online ehairwig store. The store has variety of products starting from shampoo, conditioner, hair wigs and hair styling products. You can check for the hair beauty supply online. I am going to share your post with my sister. Again thank you for your post!!

• 7 months later...

oxygin,

Thank you for sharing your experience both with losing your hair and with Rogaine. To be honest, Rogaine is great but it does nothing to stop DHT from attacking the hair follicles. Thus, if you are only 21 years of age now, perhaps DHT is only just starting to attack hair in the crown and will hit the front later. Or maybe it's hitting the front now but at a much slower rate and you don't yet notice the damage it's doing. Besides, you don't technically notice visual signs of hair loss until you experience a 50% loss. So by the time hair loss men or women even start doing something it's because they've experienced visual signs of hair loss which is typically around or more than 50% of the hair in that area.

So to get back to the point...why wait to get on Propecia when you could be stopping DHT from doing any damage now...before you get to the point that you've lost 50% of your hair to see visual signs?

There are legitmate reasons not to use Propecia, don't get me wrong. This includes the possibility of short and even long-term side effects. But if you're going to consider trying Propecia later, it seems like a more reasonable thing to try it sooner. If you don't experience side effects, then you may have saved a lot more hair than waiting to try it later.

Best wishes,

Bill

• Like 1