I'm 5 days post-op from FUT ~3000 grafts with no pain or discomfort in the recipient site, and have cared for my recipient/donor areas as directed. Is it normal to have dried/scabbed blood like I do and yellowish crusts around the hairs?

5dayspostfront.thumb.jpg.868321e4d4906acc932ee6fc29945aed.jpg

5dayspostright.thumb.jpg.3474ab4d6c1f07f9f0e831d63a01a1d8.jpg

5dayspostleft.thumb.jpg.85099e081511ca95cf4705d0aae11e91.jpg

Another 2-3 days and those scabs and crusts will quickly fall off when you start shampooing gently and regularly.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Blue,

Congratulations on the procedure. It all looks very normal for this stage. Did the clinic provide you with post-operative washing instructions? Most have slightly different orders for when to start gently scrubbing the recipient area and breaking up the scabbing.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Just echoing what the others have said. It looks totally normal, and the best thing you can do from here on out is to follow your doctor's instructions for cleaning your scalp. The cleaner you keep it, the better/faster it will heal.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

It looks fine. Don't see anything to worry about there. Happy growing!

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

I agree that it all looks normal, no swelling, no issues.

BTW, some very nice hair characteristics with the wave...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks Dr. Bloxham and everyone else for your input! Haha thanks for the hair compliment gillenator. Yes I was given post op instructions which I've followed, and in terms of getting rid of scabs, I started ramping up cleaning of the recipient site today (Day 6) by gently massaging recipient site instead of patting while using the prescribed shampoo. It was hard to find many post op pictures from 2-6 days out (and the ones I found had less scabbing/dried blood than I had), and the office I had my procedure done through was closed for extended weekend so I was a bit nervous! Thanks again guys!