FUE: surgeons quoted me 3500 grafts, do I really need that many??

Hi all, I'm new here, thank you in advance for any input!

I started losing hair around the age of 20, now at 31 I am considering a FUE. I don't want to restore the youthful hairline I once had, as that won't be realistic looking. I just want to restore density in the crown and top of the head.

I have been using finasteride consistently since the hairless started; ideally after the FUE I would discontinue finasteride (though I am aware that post FUE results may take 12+ months so I shouldn't rush to make any changes, and anyway people seem to recommend sticking with finasteride)

I recently got a quote of 3400 grafts from one surgeon and 2500-3500 grafts from another, both are leading FUE surgeons often recommended on this forum. Maybe it's just my ignorance or denial of how much hair I have actually lost, but I was expecting fewer grafts would be needed! What do you all think? Again, I don't want to attempt to recover a youthful hairline, just consolidate what I have to have higher density in a look that will be more sustainable and reasonable as I age.

Is as much as 3500 grafts really needed for this?

image.thumb.jpg.4ba70c01c573ccd0b5bf55e092a2692c.jpg

You have a lot of thinning in you hairline as well as recession, so I'd say 3500 seems realistic.

Also stopping finasteride will just make your hairloss continue, which seems undesirable since you're pretty much spending $10000 or so on a surgery to get your hair back.

Thanks Transhair! Here's another photo (uploader gave issues with multiple attachments)

If I discontinue finasteride after FUE, the transplanted hairs should not be impacted right? So is the reason it is suggested to stay with finasteride is that FUE does not create high enough density and your hair would end up very thin? Or, to be able to drop finasteride you would need FUE with many many grafts to create the sufficient density and that would just be absurdly expensive?

Or is there a different reason? Thanks again!

image.thumb.jpg.780be2d1c8412eebd3372f76b9c1aa64.jpg

If you stop taking finasteride, the other non transplanted hairs may continue to miniaturize - you'll gradually lose some of it.

For the best result, you should try to keep the existing hair by taking fin, in addition to getting a ht.

I always find the word "need" to be a very generic term, when talking about the number of grafts.

Could you use that many? Yes, you could fit that many in the there. Would 2500 be a nice improvement and maybe be a option? Possibly. It depends on your age, potential for future loss, goals, donor, etc. This is why these numbers are difficult and vary.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Just my 2 cents, but if you're going to go through with a HT you should probably stay on finasteride. I mean, being on it that long, I'm guessing you've had no side effects, right?

i've been on it longer than you with no sides, and if I were to stop it I bet I'd lose my mid-scalp / remaining non-HT front third, and crown relatively quickly. :-(

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

I always find the word "need" to be a very generic term, when talking about the number of grafts.

Could you use that many? Yes, you could fit that many in the there. Would 2500 be a nice improvement and maybe be a option? Possibly. It depends on your age, potential for future loss, goals, donor, etc. This is why these numbers are difficult and vary.

This is an excellent response and the reason why I try to avoid quoting graft counts. There are just too many variables in the mix and one of those is personal goals/expectations (assuming those are realistic).

You'll see cases here where patients get an impressive result with a relatively small number of grafts and leave a lot in the bank for future hair loss. You also see the opposite where cases of minimal hair loss are loaded with a large number of grafts. Those cases are typically very impressive but only make sense when little or no future hair loss is expected.

If you have doubts, the best course of action is always more consultations. Get a diverse range of opinions and go with one you can trust and that meets your hair restoration goals.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website