Anyone here used oral minoxodil (Loniten)?

FM1

There was a thread on oral minox back in 2011. Just wondering if there have been any updated reports of usage, side affects, etc. I'm very seriously considering jumping on it as I have little to nothing left in my donor area.

Also looking for a trustworthy source to purchase it online as my doctor is not willing to prescribe it for me.

FM,

Did we talk about this before? I know I've discussed using oral minoxidil online with a few members before, but I don't remember if it was you specifically.

Regardless, I'll give you an abridged version of my previous posts:

Minoxidil in oral form is a VERY potent blood pressure medication and can have very serious side effects for those who don't use it for this purpose (and it's indications for blood pressure control are even pretty limited; it's usually only used in a few serious circumstances). Because of this, I don't think many would recommend it AT ALL for hair loss. In fact, I think most doctors would probably caution against using it.

This is probably why your doctor wasn't willing to prescribe it.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for your feedback doc. I have decided to go for it as I don't have any other options available to me (can't get a transplant done as I have severe thinning of the sides and back). Are you able to tell me if I should bundle a diuretic with this to balance out the water and salt retention?

Thanks.

FM1,

I have to agree with Dr. Bloxham. Even if oral minoxidil was proven as a treatment or hair loss, due to its potency and how it affects the heart I wouldn't recommend it. Frankly, it seems too risky and dangerous. In my opinion, you are better off using oral finasteride and topical minoxidil.

Best wishes,

ill

Had to stop taking propecia due to severe sides some of which are still lingering even though I stopped two years ago. It's definitely not an option for me.

I take 5 drops (from the 5% solution) orally every other day. I calculated the mass to be consumed. I put the drops in a gelatin capsule before swallowing as direct consumption in the buccal cavity increases oral mucus production and throat inflammation.

Good luck.

take care...