My Hair Transplant Results with Dr Hasson

I had a hair transplant with Dr Hasson about 8-9 months ago. He transplanted about 4500 grafts and placed them on my forehead and crown. Before and after pics are attached. It is hard for me to be impartial as I have obviously watched this transformation take place over a slow, gradual amount of time. I am curious what kind of objective feedback others could provide.

Only my wife is aware that I had the procedure. I work from home and was able to hide myself away during the healing process. Nobody has said anything to me about having had a procedure. Most of my family know I have been using meds for many years and I just assume they think the meds are working wonders! Needless to say, by keeping this under wraps I have had very little feedback so this is part of why I am reaching out. Also, I would like to offer any support and answer any questions others may have if they are in a similar circumstance as me.

All photos were taken with similar hair lengths and with freshly washed hair (no thickeners or products in hair at all) and under the same lighting.

before1.thumb.jpg.5a14d9727ee5676d1457572b141f258a.jpg

before2.thumb.jpg.774d554b9bd72cc41854a15cfcf5eea4.jpg

after1.thumb.jpg.08922cbdaaf011f2215888336a3b6af3.jpg

after2.thumb.jpg.07d15cfffe45545391120444c2b3ac95.jpg

welcome to the forums, I think you have a good result,big change in front,crown can eat up a lot of grafts,how was the placement of grafts,how many in front and crown, plus do you have any post op shots, enjoy your new hair ,thanks for sharing

Good questions. The lion's share of the grafts obviously went to the forehead. I believe the breakdown was roughly 3500 up front and 1000 in the crown area. The bridge of existing hair across the middle (between the forehead and crown) was left untouched.

Here is a photo from 1 week out.

1week2.thumb.jpg.e6b3f35757881feb2a8f96f150a1746b.jpg

It looks good but, in all honestly, I would have expected more density with that many grafts. Of course, we're looking at a top down view which skews it a bit.

No doubt the end result is very dependent on the "quality" of your donor hair. You may have a low number of hairs per follicle or maybe not a lot of hair shaft thickness. And, I'm sure you still have some more growing/thickening to do as the transplanted hairs mature since you're only around the 9 month mark, so it's a bit early to judge the final result right now. I didn't have much new growth after month 9 but my hairs continued to thicken up to month 12.

That said, the transformation so far from where you started is pretty dramatic and I'm sure from straight on, it looks awesome!

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Your mid-scalp looks the quite strong pre-op in pic #2. I'd be curious exactly how many grafts were placed in the crown as well. Remember, you'll still see some nice maturation over the subsequent months even if new hairs emerging will start to or have already slowed.

Spamdoozle,

Thanks for updating the forum with your photos as others have commented the front shows a significant improvement and the crown does have more hair as I can see the way the hairs are growing in the whorl pattern that Dr Hasson designed.

Two things to note about the crown firstly the growth is slower here than at the front and more patience is needed so please wait for at least 12 months before assessing this area. Secondly 1000 grafts is not going to have a big impact where no scalp would be visible. The crown is called the black hole for a reason as the surface shape requires so many more grafts to get the same level of appearance as the front. Are you able to schedule a follow up with Dr Hasson when you get to the one year mark it we would like to see you.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

It's been about 4 years and 4 months since I had my procedure with Dr Hasson. I quit taking meds about 3 years ago. Below are my current photos. All conditions are the same (hair length, freshly washed, no product) except the lighting. We have since moved and these pictures are taken in our new bathroom.  I feel like I may have lost some in the crown area but the difference in lighting makes it hard to say.

The past two years have been hands down the most stressful of my life so I was quite nervous to take these most recent photos. I thought there surely would be greater hairloss but overall I am very pleased!  When I stumble across old photos of myself I can't believe the difference. All it takes now is a few shakes of Toppik and I have the appearance of a full head of hair!

mike1.jpg

mike2.jpg

Edited by spamdoozle
  • Like 1

Amazing to see the results are still holding strong all these years later - and especially that you can get the illusion of a full head of hair with a little Toppik. The front and hairline look amazing and the hairline design in particular is perfect. Happy for you!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

It's always interesting to see threads where you can see results many years later, rather than just up until 12 months after a procedure. On the one hand the transplant still looks great, however there is obviously some noticeable loss, particularly in the crown area, but really all over all as well. Considering the procedure was only 4 years ago is this considered normal? What will it look like in another 5-6 years? You said the last 2 years was the most stressful time of your life so I'm assuming that has played a part in the loss. But how much?

To answer your questions, tofuparty:

- Is this considered normal after 4 years?

Each individual's hair loss is unique. The amount of hair lost in 4 years for one man might take 40 years for another. You can't project one's future hair loss on the experience of someone else.

- How much of a role did stress play in my subsequent hair loss?

Impossible to say exactly. Though I am certain it has advanced the hair loss beyond what it would have been. The last two years I have experience a trifecta of life-changing family issues, major business issues and major legal issues. 

- What will it look like in 5-6 years?

Who knows? Stay tuned :)  I am certain it will look better than it would had I not had the procedure. If it looks really bad in 5 years then I can always have another HT. But even if I don't have another I will be grateful for the added years of hair the procedure bought me.

Would I do it all again if I had the chance? Yes! Like I said, with a few shakes of Toppik I can have the appearance of a full head of hair. This is not something I was able to do prior to the procedure as I had lost virtually all of my hairline. I look better now in my 40s than I did in my late 20's when my hairloss was becoming very apparent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 1:31 PM, OliverAtom said:

The crown is not looking good at all, how many grafts did Hasson place on the crown? Do you have photos from 1 year after the surgery to compare?

From his comments above, only 1,000 grafts were placed in the crown. This case specifically is a great example of how important it is to manage expectations, and how each individual has their own grading scale, so to speak, when it comes to satisfactory results. For this patient, focusing primarily on the hairline and mid-scalp and then using Toppik to add the illusion of density to the crown makes him perfectly happy - and with very good reason! The crown is the most challenging part of the scalp to address (it's not often called the black hole for nothing), and for many guys, based on their hair loss, donor supply, etc. this approach is the best (sometimes only) option they have to achieve the illusion of a full/almost full head of hair. So instead of spending lots of money, time, and using grafts for the crown that could later be used to fill in the mid-scalp, this is a perfectly viable alternative. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some photos of what my hair looks like with Toppik applied. To an untrained eye, it really looks like I have a lot of hair for a middle-aged man.

And for the purposes of comparison, I cut my own hair with clippers and made sure my hair was the same length in all photos on this thread.

thumbnail_IMG_5573.jpg

3 - Copy.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5575 - Copy.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5578.jpg

Edited by spamdoozle