Nizoral shampoo and dry scalp

Anyone else who uses this suffer from dry scalp ?

Been using for about 3 months now and always suffer a flakey scalp afterwards . Also make sure to use a conditioner , but doesn't help that much .

If I use emu oil after use , this does alleviate it , but interested in others opinions.

• 3 months later...

Don't know which one you are using or how much and how many times?

I have been using it for about 5 months twice a week...

Not had any scalp issues hair looks healthy and thick after use.

I have noticed my hair and beard hair turning white alot I was just wondering if Nizarol could have anything to do with it as it is a type of medicine?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ThemanJus

It's the ketoconazole... it reacts the same with my scalp. Try something with zinc pyrithionate in it instead. I used Pura D'or after reading this hair loss shampoo guide and it helped lots. The zinc kills bateria and fungus similar to ketoconazole.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nizoral used to cure my dermatitis, but now I cant find anything to rid it. Its slowly getting worse. I thought Nizoral was causing flakes in the end, but after switching to another shampoo for a few months, still the problem persists.

try Regenpure DR and NT - its 2 separate bottles. The DR contains the ketoconazole which is the main ingredient in Nizoral and the NT is followed immediately after using the DR with more nourishing ingredients - great combination. I use it 5 days a week.

I've had really dry/flaky scalp my entire life and honestly haven't ever been able completely fix the problem. My scalp is extremely sensitive and I've found that I'm allergic to most hair products. Through trial and error, I've found that I can only use plant based products (no harsh chemicals). It hasn't completely fixed it, but it has improved tremendously. Even still, I have random outbreaks and the only thing I've found to really help when those happen is either an overnight coconut oil treatment for my scalp and also applying raw apple cider vinegar directly to my scalp in the shower. Both of these things (particularly the ACV) work extremely fast and well when my scalp starts flaking like an avalanche.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember that more or less in 2012 I used nizoral for itchy/dry scalp. It made my scalp so dry after shower that when I was combing my hair I lost more or less 500 hairs. No kidding 500+!! it was one of the most painful view for me in my life. So I promised that I won’t use it again.

However I decided to give another try to it. Previously it was a version without ketoconazole, now I tried 2% one. And I must admit, it works good as far. I mean I am using it on Mondays and Fridays for one month, I don’t see regrowth, but I notice that hair looks thicker, and I do not experience any itchy, even dry scalp.

So yes, I am continuing of using it, with hope I will get some regrowth in near future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went to the dermatologist a couple of weeks ago to address my very dry/flaky scalp that has given me problems my entire life.... And he prescribed me generic Nizoral with very clear instructions not to use it more than twice a week so as to avoid it drying my scalp out. I wonder if maybe you're using it too frequently (or if you even need to use it to begin with), because two weeks in and it's already helped me tremendously.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56