This 27-year-old man had undergone a follicular unit extraction (FUE) procedure at another practice one year ago. He grew frustrated that a significant number of the grafts remained as stubble even a full year after the procedure.

He, therefore, had a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) series at our office. The results can be seen a few months later both in magnified form as well as globally.

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

• 2 months later...

While seemingly every clinic has their own protocol for the frequency of PRP treatments (some do every month, others every 3, and others one-and-done), I think that it makes the most sense to wait at least six months after having had surgical hair restoration before attempting to accelerate or stimulate further growth with a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) session.*

To my knowledge there is no clear data to support this, however. It has also been demonstrated that newly-transplanted hairs continue to come in for the first time even 18 months after a hair transplant. So, my preference (as was the case with this patient) is to wait over a year after a surgery before embarking on any further intervention.

I have never been convinced of PRP. Again I can only base my decision on what I have seen over the last 5 years. I agree this is a good result but is this the norm or an exception. Why is there not a lot of convincing results out there? Many doctor offer it but very few show any cosmetic result using it. Is he on meds? If so when did he start them?

In Europe many dermatologists use PRP make huge promises and make good money doing it. At the end I have not met one person out of over 30 that I have met live that were happy with their result. They do lose weight on there pocket book...

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson