Sunlight after procedure

I am 2 weeks post op and with it being summer, wondering about the effects of sunlight. At what point is it safe to let some sun on your head? I also tend to burn easy...would even a slight burn damage anything to the new hair sites and prevent growth? I haven't shed anything yet, but know it is coming, and want to know how long I have to obsessively protect my head.

Hi Jr,

Make sure to discuss this with your clinic. Many differ in their opinions, and it's always best to follow your clinic's post-op instructions "to a T." Having said that, I don't think many disagree that direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time can affect the new grafts. Anything that could potentially burn the skin -- as you described -- could damage the grafts.

Here is what I tell patients:

Be careful in the sun for the first 3-6 months (and I like putting more emphasis on the 6 month part, just to be extra cautious). Things like walking to your car, walking to a restaurant, etc doesn't allow enough direct sunlight to damage anything. However, if you KNOW you are going to be in the sun for prolonged periods of time (IE one of those great post-transplant Caribbean vacations), just wear a hat. Much better safe than sorry. And prolonged periods of direct sunlight is one of the only things that can honestly "goof up" the grafts after they have anchored in.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 6 years later...

Bump, I sat in direct strong sunlight for about 4 minutes today before realising that my donor area (which had grafts put in) was not being fully protected by the cap I was wearing and thus exposed to the sun.. is it sunburn i should be worried about or the effect of the sunlight on the grafts? ARghhh

Edited by RTC

Sunburn is the biggest concern.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 5/3/2016 at 9:44 PM, jrsmith28 said:

I am 2 weeks post op and with it being summer, wondering about the effects of sunlight. At what point is it safe to let some sun on your head? I also tend to burn easy...would even a slight burn damage anything to the new hair sites and prevent growth? I haven't shed anything yet, but know it is coming, and want to know how long I have to obsessively protect my head.

I used to walk around in the sun two weeks after my hair transplant procedure. You can use a sunscreen to protect your scalp. You can try to minimise time out in harsh heat.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ