Signing Bosley contract tomorrow, should I be concerned?

Tomorrow I have an appt to sign the agreement and make a deposit. However I got to thinking last night maybe I should look online for reviews and maybe alternatives. The total is 14k, and while i can afford it, I want to make sure the quality is worth the price. After searching around I found this site.

The reviews and sometime horror stories have me a bit concerned to say the least. However I know how forums and groups work. A lot times they have vested interests in advertisers and therefore biased reviews for the ones the support are given while the competition is maligned. Not saying thats the case here just I just have to sleep with one eye open if you catch my drift.

I am in Va Beach and the Dr is Sr Epstein and I did not see him on the sign up registry of this site. Is this an anti-Bosley forum or an unbiased informational site that can help me with my concerns. I have a receding hairline, I am 55 yrs and decided to fix it. Does anyone know about the Dr, his skill level and or a better Dr in the Hampton Roads Va area?

Thanks, Suprarob

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is a mistake, Bosley is a joke. Stop right where you are and do a lot more research. Luckily you found the right forum. You need to start researching who the top HT surgeons are, and do online or in person consultations with all of them. My favourite so are: Dr Ron Shapiro, Dr Victor Hasson, Dr Rahal, Dr Konior, Dr Wong, and Dr Feriduni.

Yes it is a mistake, Bosley is a joke. Stop right where you are and do a lot more research. Luckily you found the right forum. You need to start researching who the top HT surgeons are, and do online or in person consultations with all of them. My favourite so are: Dr Ron Shapiro, Dr Victor Hasson, Dr Rahal, Dr Konior, Dr Wong, and Dr Feriduni.

I respect your view. As a newbie could you provide a little more direct help? Maybe a Dr in Va or eastern Va? Thank you.

Do not go to Bosley. Consult with Dr. Lindsey, he's great and he's in Virginia. McLean? Something like that

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

I don't think anyone is going to say you are going to have a bad result from Bolsey. It is quite possible that you will have a good result and be happy. Your odds of a successful satisfactory result are a lot less than using a doctor with a good reputation. You want to take that risk that is completely up to you.

When you come on to a forum and you ask posters opinion concerning Bosley they are going to give you their opinion. I always say losing your hair is natural, having a bad transplant isn't.

Good luck whatever decision you make!

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Subject line in your post says it all---you were worried, and you were right.

Stay away.

Mav's list above is a great one. Lindsay worthy of an add. Cooley too. Not far, based in Charlotte. In general, its not a good idea to base such an important decision on location. Rather, the strategy and game plan the doctor outlines, and your rapport with that doctor.

More consults the better. GL.

I respect your view. As a newbie could you provide a little more direct help? Maybe a Dr in Va or eastern Va? Thank you.

My own extensive research led me to the conclusion not to pick a surgeon based on location. I did that for my 1st procedure where I chose a surgeon in New York near where I lived and worked. It was a mistake. For my 2nd procedure I traveled to Ottawa for who I concluded was the best surgeon for me. My 2nd choice was in Vancuover and I would have traveled there too. Hopefully this will be the single best piece of advice I can give you. From my own research, didn't find a surgeon in VA I liked, but have heard great things about Cooley in Charlotte.

OK what I have learned so far.

1) The overall consensus is avoid Bosly

2) Dr Epstein is their highest ranked Bosley Dr so I may get a decent result

3) Don't pick a Dr based on location.

4) Dr Cooley in Charlotte has a good reputation.

5) I'm getting a good feeling I picked the right forum

6) Listen to your gut feeling.

How did I do?

Good stuff man. We've all been there.

I landed at a top doc from help of guys like Mav and senior members. I was clueless when I arrived. Still am ;)

Dutchie, if I recall, almost went to a no-name then quickly pivoted. There's countless others. You're here now and asking all the right questions. Good on you. Now just remove Bosley from your mind.

The names Mav mentioned are tops in the world. I'd talk to all of them then a few guys in your backyard we mentioned. Then the good-hard part-choosing from the best. If you have 5-6 conversations with the top clinics you'll be set.

I am not going to suggest one way or the other but you should definitely research this a lot before signing the dotted line. I first went to Bosley, and it seemed pretty tempting but then stumbled on this forum, read through the reviews and visited Dr. Cooley.

I had my procedure last July and am really happy with the result. To me, the following factors were important in choosing Dr. Cooley over Bosley:

1. Bosley is well known because of their marketing. Dr. Cooley is well known because of his work.

2. Bosley gets business through marketing but you don't hear much about their docs or who was in the room doing the actual grafts. In contrast, Dr. Cooley gets all his business through word of mouth, and has more weight on his shoulders. He does most of the grafts himself, and has some technicians who help, but he's always there. To this end, one bad result is more detrimental for Dr. Cooley than for Bosley - so more on the line for him. Also, his technicians performed the HT on him so you know they're good if he trusts them.

3. My comfort level with Dr. Cooley's office was far more than Bosley. It seemed like Bosley was more interested in me having the transplant, than in me making an informed decision.

4. Bosley had dates available within a few days while Dr. Cooley was booked for a couple months out. FWIW, you can use this as a signal for quality, or perhaps this could be pent up demand, though I doubt.

Going into it, I didn't know what the outcome would be like, but I was certain I will get more attention, and a better doctor with Dr. Cooley. I wouldn't ever know what Bosley would be like, but am really happy with the outcome with Dr. Cooley and would do the same if I was to get a second HT.

Like a lot of people getting their first HT, it sounds as if you've barely done any research. You are talking about altering your appearance, and the results will be permanent. To think that you are going in blind with a doctor you know very little about is an incredibly risky move, and one that forums like this one are intended to prevent.

You only can make an informed decision after you have done the requisite level of research. You haven't. Don't choose someone based solely on how close they are to you. However, there are some good doctors near where you live, as has been mentioned. I'll assume you are doing strip, and have not researched FUE. It's a good idea to know the difference between these two types of procedures, it at least means you've done some homework before jumping into someones chair.

I think if you want higher odds of success if you are use a more reputable doctor and clinic

You may get a good result but you may not. I have never heard of this Dr. Epstein but I have heard from patients that went to other Bosley locations that were told that the doctor in that location was the highest rated and the best.

Picking a doctor based only on location and price can be a recipe for disaster.

Yes he does and so do other doctors in the area. Here is a list Hair Transplant Network - Find Hair Transplant Clinics and Doctors I recommend you consult with as many as possible.

99% of the time the posters are here to help you. Nobody gains anything by you going to any particular doctor. They only want to help you make the right decision.

Good deal I agree. Make sure you are confident on whatever decision you make. Maybe after researching you decide Bosley is your best decision.

I would call Bosley tomorrow and inform them you need more time to make this important decision. The sale rep maybe aggressive with you because he know if you start researching you probably aren't going to them. Remember they are more than likely commission based sale rep. Any deal he is offering you today will be available in the future.

Good luck!

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

How did I do?

You're doing excellent.

With Bosley you are playing Russian roulette. You might get a decent result but you most likely wont be shouting off the rooftops how happy you are with your HT by this time next year.

Go to reputable doctor and the likelihood of getting a really good HT is well over 80% I'd say. Perhaps even higher with the top docs.

EDIT: a result similar to this is what I envision you will get at Bosley. This poor guy got 6,000 hairs and it looks like total crap

Edited by Dutchie

Dutchie, if I recall, almost went to a no-name then quickly pivoted. There's countless others

I wouldnt go as far to say that Dr. Jones is a no-name, but he's definitely not top of the line either.

For me the difference was Hasson & Wong's before/after pics. Compare the two:

https://hassonandwong.com/hair-transplant-photos/

VS.

Dr. Jones before/after pics: https://www.drrobertjones.com/before-after-2/

And you tell me, who has consistently the better results??

I didnt like cancelling dr. Jones though, he's a heck of a nice guy plus I think he does do decent work, just not topnotch work

But remember, you are changing your appearance permanently for the rest of your life.

Do you want an okay job, or do you want a great job??

I personally want THE BEST hair transplant in the world, and I'm willing to pay for it plus I'm willing to travel the 4 corners of the world for it

I am not going to suggest one way or the other but you should definitely research this a lot before signing the dotted line. I first went to Bosley, and it seemed pretty tempting but then stumbled on this forum, read through the reviews and visited Dr. Cooley.

I had my procedure last July and am really happy with the result. To me, the following factors were important in choosing Dr. Cooley over Bosley:

1. Bosley is well known because of their marketing. Dr. Cooley is well known because of his work.

2. Bosley gets business through marketing but you don't hear much about their docs or who was in the room doing the actual grafts. In contrast, Dr. Cooley gets all his business through word of mouth, and has more weight on his shoulders. He does most of the grafts himself, and has some technicians who help, but he's always there. To this end, one bad result is more detrimental for Dr. Cooley than for Bosley - so more on the line for him. Also, his technicians performed the HT on him so you know they're good if he trusts them.

3. My comfort level with Dr. Cooley's office was far more than Bosley. It seemed like Bosley was more interested in me having the transplant, than in me making an informed decision.

4. Bosley had dates available within a few days while Dr. Cooley was booked for a couple months out. FWIW, you can use this as a signal for quality, or perhaps this could be pent up demand, though I doubt.

Going into it, I didn't know what the outcome would be like, but I was certain I will get more attention, and a better doctor with Dr. Cooley. I wouldn't ever know what Bosley would be like, but am really happy with the outcome with Dr. Cooley and would do the same if I was to get a second HT.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

You're doing excellent.

With Bosley you are playing Russian roulette. You might get a decent result but you most likely wont be shouting off the rooftops how happy you are with your HT by this time next year.

Go to reputable doctor and the likelihood of getting a really good HT is well over 80% I'd say. Perhaps even higher with the top docs.

EDIT: a result similar to this is what I envision you will get at Bosley. This poor guy got 6,000 hairs and it looks like total crap

Watched the video. That was 6000? Seems like with that many he would have had a better look. Seems like he had more donor hair on sides to offer. Should I post a pic of my head and track my progress? I don't see why some want to be so private. Its not like boob implants. Do people really care if a man gets hair moved from spot to another?

^^^^^^ good idea. Post pics from all angles of your head.

And yeah, there still is some stigma associated with men getting cosmetic surgery

Ok. Should I start a new thread or just use this one Dutchie?

Ok. Should I start a new thread or just use this one Dutchie?

Just use this thread.

Take pics of all 5 angle, please. The 2 sides, the front, back, and top of the head. Try to use good lighting against a white wall if possible, and get your wife or a friend to take the pics

Suprarob, this is YOUR thread. Post some pics and you'll get some good feedback. That's what I did and I bailed on Ziering as a result...

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

How did I do?

In the words of Michelle from Full House - "You got it dude"

OK here are my pics. I noticed my hair is still a little wet as I was headed to work. But you can see the weak areas. Looks rough. So much so I feel like just shaving my head. But transplanting will be more rewarding. If it yields great results and Im a good candidate. If not Ill shave and just cry lol.

FullSizeRender%206.jpg

FullSizeRender%204.jpg

FullSizeRender%205.jpg

If you're gonna shave down you might want to try Scalp Micropigmentation like the kind my clinic offers :) ... you look like a great candidate for it.

If you go the HT route you definitely averted a potential HT rookie mistake by forgoing the surgery with Bosley. Tough to tell from the pictures but it appears you have good donor. A qualified HT surgeon will confirm if you have a consultation. I saw the names Cooley and Lindsey brought up and they are both excellent surgeons. Keep in mind with your level of loss (about a diffuse NW5) you're likely going to need more than 1 surgery to achieve front to crown coverage.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

You'll need to post a better pic of your rearhead, but my hunch is you're an excellent candidate for a transplant.

You should be happy too because Dr. Hasson said he has to turn away approximately 10% of all people who walk into his office, and there's very little those people can do other then perhaps get a hair system or wig.

Also if you're not on finasteride and/or minoxidil go on it right away, it will let you keep what you got for a very long time