Dr. Wong 4377 / FUE /stage 6 - 5.5 months post-op

This patient in his 30's from Vancouver wanted maximum coverage via FUE. He had a total of 4377 grafts over 2 days. He was wearing his hair very short on his last visit and I encouraged him to let it grow a little longer. It is still quite short in these photos. I believe with a little more length it would have been even more impressive at this stage. I'll up date hopefully again with his 6.5-7 month pics.

3-up-back.jpg

3-up-top.jpg

ba-t.jpg

ba-b.jpg

ba-f.jpg

ba-f-k.jpg

ba-f-t.jpg

ba-l.jpg

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HairLostYears,

The powers that be suggest up to around 3,000 grafts left in the donor bank via FUE.

Thanks for checking into that, Doug. He's gotta be amped about the early returns, is he talking of a round 2? Too soon? (ha)

Some doctors say no matter how good the FUE result is, it would always have looked better with strip. Was graft survival rate just exceptional for this patient? Doesn't appear like there could have been much of a drop-off.

Not saying it's a watershed moment here or anything, it's just quite interesting to see arguably THE premier strip guys taking on a FUE case this large (their biggest to date?).

I'm sure a lot of people look forward to more details and updates. Gracias.

HairLostYears,

The powers that be suggest up to around 3,000 grafts left in the donor bank via FUE.

So in total around 7377 grafts available. What percentage of total grafts does this represent? I.e., 30%, 35%, 40%, etc?

Thanks

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Dutchie!

I hope all is well. I plan to update this every few months and hope to have the 1 year update as well.

HairLostyears:

He has high expectations so it wouldn’t surprise me if he considered round 2. But I have told him to wait for the full result.

For this case if we assume a total of 7,000 grafts, the patient would have very nice coverage and density and would essentially be done. If he continues to take Proscar he would not likely ever need another procedure. If he had FUT and 7,000, we can assume the result would be virtually the same. The only major differences would be with FUT he would have in theory another 3,000 or more grafts in the bank. With FUE he would be about tapped out. The factors such as medication, the scar, styling options, costs would all be considered. You can make a case for either method here.

Graft survival with our FUE technology is quite high, rivaling our strip survival. For this patient in particular, I didn’t see any drop off with regards to what his yield would have been with FUT.

You don’t need to call this a watershed moment but I would feel comfortable describing it as such.

delancy:

For the sake of this discussion let’s assume 7,000 grafts total in the donor reserves to start instead of 7377. If we assume the total number of grafts in the sides and back is 14,000 of which 7,000 can be used before it starts to look too thin, 7,000 would be left to create the normal appearance; we can then say his reserves represent 50% of the total grafts if I understand the question correctly.

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

• Administrators
Dutchie!

Graft survival with our FUE technology is quite high, rivaling our strip survival. For this patient in particular, I didn’t see any drop off with regards to what his yield would have been with FUT.

You don’t need to call this a watershed moment but I would feel comfortable describing it as such.

Wow what a statement, a couple of New York doctors won't like this statement at all lol.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Wow what a statement, a couple of New York doctors won't like this statement at all lol

It works out perfectly for me too because I dont have the laxity for a 2nd FUT, I'm forced to get an FUE. But if their FUE's are close to FUT's its not gonna be an issue at all.

The hair-gods are smiling at me :D

Wow what a statement, a couple of New York doctors won't like this statement at all lol.

The fact that HW does inspect every single graft extracted by FUE means they can be and are confident the survival rate of their grafts are high, as much as FUT. I wonder how many FUE Drs out there inspect each graft under a scope to ensure the the grafts are good...

The only thing I wonder about is how many grafts are implanted vs how many are extracted... I know you pay for what is implanted, but I wonder what the rate of actual transection/grafts that are "thrown" out because they aren't "good".

Dutchie,

It has been a pleasure to have you as a patient and we look forward to seeing you again should you decide on round two next year. You are in good hands either way, FUT or FUE.

The hair gods may be smiling on you but give yourself credit for doing your research, you helped make their job a lot easier:)

HTsoon/Spidey,

The transection rate on this patient in particular was very low. If I recall from the chart the percentage of what was planted versus what was extracted was high 90's%. I'm out of the clinic this week but when I return I'll see about getting the number.

Hassonandwong.com

• 1 month later...
Dutchie,

It has been a pleasure to have you as a patient and we look forward to seeing you again should you decide on round two next year. You are in good hands either way, FUT or FUE.

The hair gods may be smiling on you but give yourself credit for doing your research, you helped make their job a lot easier:)

HTsoon/Spidey,

The transection rate on this patient in particular was very low. If I recall from the chart the percentage of what was planted versus what was extracted was high 90's%. I'm out of the clinic this week but when I return I'll see about getting the number.

Hey Doug do you have those transaction % stats?

Also, do both Dr. Hasson and Dr. Wong have the same team of technicians to extract grafts? Or are they different?

Any updates with this patient? I think the yield is incredible and the results look great for still having so much time for thickening/growth. I was surprised to read he has 3000 FUE left in the donor. Can you give a range (low to high) of donor numbers that you see in FUE patients? Thank you!

Dutchie!

I hope all is well. I plan to update this every few months and hope to have the 1 year update as well.

HairLostyears:

He has high expectations so it wouldn’t surprise me if he considered round 2. But I have told him to wait for the full result.

For this case if we assume a total of 7,000 grafts, the patient would have very nice coverage and density and would essentially be done. If he continues to take Proscar he would not likely ever need another procedure. If he had FUT and 7,000, we can assume the result would be virtually the same. The only major differences would be with FUT he would have in theory another 3,000 or more grafts in the bank. With FUE he would be about tapped out. The factors such as medication, the scar, styling options, costs would all be considered. You can make a case for either method here.

Another 3000 grafts in the bank is avery significant number of grafts to give up. Personally I would have kept them there for a rainy day. Considering what that many grafts can mean and that the patient has such high expectations was the scar a major part in the patient decision?

TP,

The transection rate in this case looks to be about 3%.Each doctor has a different team. Not too often but in some cases one or two members of one team will assist in a surgery for the other team depending on a few factors. I hope to have an update on this patient at some point. Dr. Wong estimates the average patient’s donor bank for FUE to be 5,000 to 7,000.

Harebrained,

In this case the patient was very certain he did not want to undergo an FUT procedure which I believe to be based in large part to not wanting a linear scar

Hassonandwong.com

As an additional data point, I recently had my FUE surgery with Dr. Hasson and my transection rate was 2.2%.

That's great to hear! I am having a FUE procedure with Dr. Hasson in August. Would you mind if I contacted you privately with questions?