immediately after surgery: wearing a hat Vs sun damage

Hi guys,

I have dilema regarding immediately after surgery. I've read many threads on this site about sun damage, and that the odd 5 minutes doesn't matter. But what about strong sunlight, immediately post op? Say just 5 minutes?

Also, to avoid sun light and wear a hat is an obvious solution, but I've also read many threads on this site regarding hat wearing, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus regarding immediate post op hat wearing.

I will be leaving the clinic the day after surgery (so less than 24 hours after surgery), walking to a car, and then from the car to the airport. Without a hat, this will give sun exposure, and strong sunlight too. But it shouldn't be for more than 5 minutes each time. Once I arrive at my destination, again, there will be sunlight exposure through a car window for about 60 minutes. Again, I've read threads on this, and that sun exposure through a car window could also be damaging as the glass still enables UVA to penatrate through.

Alternatively, if I wore a hat, I would have to remove it a couple of times at passport check (I think it has to be done twice departing and once landing), so this is something that concerns me. But at least it would prevent sun damage.

Could anyone tell me, on balance, which is the best option?

Many thanks :D

The day after surgery I would wear a hat without doubt it will protect your head from any sunlight and stop any odd stares that you will get with a red scalp. For the two occasions going through security and passport control that you will most likely have to take you hat off for a few seconds you will be saving yourself a lot of anguish.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Not if the hat is worn loosely and you are careful it isn't. They should show you at your clinic how to wear it when you leave. Good luck with your surgery.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I would actually invest in a surgical hat to wear. They are very loose fitting and easy to remove and put on without touching the new grafts.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=mens+surgical+scrub+cap&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=47411772530&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15901162966835504967&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_67t18hyla_b

As long as you are wearing a loosefitting hat, you can wear it immediately after surgery and the day after and so on. In fact, after my first hair transplant I ended up going to the beach two days later and just wore a loosefitting hat all day. Mind you, the hat looked a little funny because it was a little puffy compared to what I usually wear but it worked and none of the hairs were damaged... Neither by the hat nor by the sun.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for all your replies guys!

To be honest I think a surgical hat would draw more attention to me (besides not quite sure why they are beneficial over a non-surgical hat?).

So guys, a baseball hat, as long as loose, will be fine?

Thanks very much.

A large fitted hat that loosely fits would suffice to protect the grafts.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

My clinic gave me a few surgical caps. I wore those when I was in public for the first couple days. Even with those I was still very careful, in fact I even lost a graft with one of those on the day after. I was shocked I lost it to be honest because I was being very delicate. I guess anything can happen. I didnt wear a normal hat until day 9. My doctor said I could wear a loose fitting hat 2 days after but I personally didnt want to risk it. I paid a lot of money for the procedure and wouldnt want to take on any extra risk.

I dont think a few minutes of sun should do much (though im no doctor). 30+ minutes at high noon? I wouldnt recommend that but walking from the car to the terminal shouldnt do much. as AlexieJ said an umbrella would work if you dont want or get surgical caps. I flew on day 2 post op and wore a surgical cap. A few people looked at me but who cares? Never going to see them again. My face also got very swollen and had a bit of a black eye so that didnt help. Most people didnt look or stare if youre worried. I did not have to take it off going through security.

Hi guys,

I have dilema regarding immediately after surgery. I've read many threads on this site about sun damage, and that the odd 5 minutes doesn't matter. But what about strong sunlight, immediately post op? Say just 5 minutes?

Also, to avoid sun light and wear a hat is an obvious solution, but I've also read many threads on this site regarding hat wearing, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus regarding immediate post op hat wearing.

I will be leaving the clinic the day after surgery (so less than 24 hours after surgery), walking to a car, and then from the car to the airport. Without a hat, this will give sun exposure, and strong sunlight too. But it shouldn't be for more than 5 minutes each time. Once I arrive at my destination, again, there will be sunlight exposure through a car window for about 60 minutes. Again, I've read threads on this, and that sun exposure through a car window could also be damaging as the glass still enables UVA to penatrate through.

Alternatively, if I wore a hat, I would have to remove it a couple of times at passport check (I think it has to be done twice departing and once landing), so this is something that concerns me. But at least it would prevent sun damage.

Could anyone tell me, on balance, which is the best option?

Many thanks :D

For airport security problem,I asked my clinic to give me a letter stating that I've had a surgery and need to cover my head for protection.

it worked and when airport security asked me to remove the head covering I just told them its for medical reasons and showed them the letter,they let me go without any problems both at departure and arrival.

my surgeon actually put a loose fit,bandana on my head,which I kept on untill I arrived home.it worked better than hats and more acceptable for airport security as a medical head covering.

I'd be very careful with sun exposure after ht,personally I wont go out in sun even for short time with a operated head.