There are so many hair loss myths. This forum is helpful in sifting through them to help get us closer to the facts. We've started a series of fun hair-related findings (and never been founds!) on Instagram and Twitter.

Here's the first in the series. Can you guess which is true?

WIT1.jpg

That's an easy one...Dr. Robert True of course!...:D

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I always like these kinds of threads. Reminds me of the stuff I'd read on other hair loss forums that aren't centered around transplants. Entertainment value.

Never heard of the pork thing, just seems false.

Exercise might help slow hair loss because it's just good for your overall well-being in general. Seems like it could help stress-related hair loss at a minimum. Like most things, maybe moderation is key? I've read large doses of creatine might not be the best idea.

Is the wind myth like the hair-pulling thing? Christopher Walken says he keeps his scalp loose and blood flowing by pulling on his hair 5 minutes a day. He's 70-something now and still has good hair.

62837c30-29d8-4bfe-b57c-25581ba0769c-large.jpeg

Hi everyone!!!

A 2012 study of 98 identical twin sisters showed the twin with a lack of exercise had increased likelihood of vertex (top of the head) hair loss! Exercise included an element of cardio! Interestingly, the same did not exactly hold true for men...

FemaleTwinsHairLoss.pdf

I have worked with 26 different hair restoration doctors throughout my career. I have now been a nurse with Dr. Wesley for more than a decade.

Dr. Carlos Wesley is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

1050 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10028

Ph (844) 745-6362

www.drcarloswesley.com

• Administrators

I know this might just be correlation and not causation but when I began lifting in my early 20's that's when I began to notice my hair loss. Lifting heavy weights especially doing deadlifts and squats etc. has been shown to increase testosterone production which could in turn increase DHT as byproduct. It's also been shown that endurance type training could actually decrease testosterone so I guess it depends on what type of excercize you're doing. Ultimately, genetics are genetics and little you can do to stop that other than take a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor which has a host of other problems.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

During intense boxing training and not having a good diet i think affected my hair loss too. My doctor once gave me iron tablets.

So there are other things which Can contribute to hair loss.

Do you know when the body is under extreme stress it shuts down processes which it regards as non essential and from them is hair growth.

So if hair loss is due to other reasons maybe it can be reversed if the underlying causes are changed.

MPB - Genetics is probably the main one and the meds etc can only do so much which one has to decide if it would be worth it.

Nice to see ladies on here too!

There seems to be a delicate balance with exercise: on the extreme end of the spectrum, cortisol levels may be elevated. Cortisol is a "stress hormone" that is often associated with hair loss.

I'm not sure if the archives still exist, but we tried to hash out the facts regarding exercise and hair a bit more a few months ago on Sirius' "Doctor Radio" broadcast.