Topical Propecia - Does it even work?

MM94941

I had a consultation with Dr. Carlos Wesley, and he advised not to do the surgery but start taking Propecia. When I said I will not do that because of side effects, he advised to take topical Propecia, which works the same, even better actually, and doesn't have those side effects.

Now, the thing is quite expensive. And I liked the dr. very much. However, based on experience, I know I should not always jump to medications that doctors prescribe, and since it's quite pricey, I wanted to ask here, if topical Propecia even works?

Please let me know as I am on a crossroads, as to which road to take, I've been advised not to take surgery, but I also don't wanna waste money on something that doesn't work, OR WORSE, TAKE IT AND REALISE THAT IT DOES HAVE SIDE EFFECTS.

THANKS!

I would have some questions about it.

What does topical do to the dht in your blood. If it drops you dht in three blood by 65 percent like the pill, why would your chances of sides be any different?

Also, are you around anyone that could become pregnant? That is a concern that I have. That people will take this and they are laying on their pillows that their girlfriends use or their girlfriend or wife rubs their fingers through your head, etc.

I just don't know that it is that much more safe or even that effective. I'd love to see more data on this.

Btw, what is the price of the topical finasteride and whyou did he say you were not a candidateam at this time?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Because I have enough hair and that I basically just should do work to thicken the ones that I already have, and the results will be basically the same - I would not benefit from it at this point.

But I was clear that I will not start taking any pills that have side effects (and libido isn't even the worst, it's the mind numbing thing that freaks me out).

It was explained to me that basically it prevents the DHT to affect the root of the hair and since it's not entering the blood stream, thus no side effects, just affects the root of the hair, or something along those lines.

And no, my wife is on her own pregnancy prevention stuff.

If I recall, around $240 for three months supply, or something like that, I have the pamphlet somewhere in my bag.

Well, a quick Google study says the .25 percent topical fin dose lowers the dht in the blood stream the same as oral. This was on a non affiliated hair surgeon's site. I didn't take the time to look for a study but it mentioned that there is one out there, so I would do a little more digging. If that is the case, besides the psychological factor, I am not sure why you would be less prone to sides on a topical.

I am looking forward to seeing some results on this board from topical fin, but I don't think it is an end all for those worriedays about sides.

My understanding is that there are quite a few docs that are skeptical that it is any safer than oral and that it could be dangerous due to others due to its topical nature.

The topic is an interesting one.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

My guess is if it can effect pregnant woman by just touching it then it can be absorbed through the skin. Which means it would reach the blood system and have the same effect as if taken orally. Which means you would only need a little bit because you are now bypassing the liver. So I would say yea, you would still be vulnerable to side effects if you were sensitive to the drug. An endocrinologist would definitely know.

Jury is still out on effectiveness.

The premise, at least in theory, is that topical fin can be localized to the scalp, differing from oral fin in pill form which effects DHT levels throughout the entire body. Again, this is the theory. Another key variable is absorption rate and carrier method.

Do a quick search on topical fin and you'll see another member or two are tracking results. In addition to Dr. Wesley, I would contact SMG and Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Hasson at H+W as they are both top doctors who are now offering topical fin. Would be interesting to hear what their feedback is so far as well.

Hot topic for sure. Keep us posted.

Jury is still out on effectiveness.

The premise, at least in theory, is that topical fin can be localized to the scalp, differing from oral fin in pill form which effects DHT levels throughout the entire body. Again, this is the theory. Another key variable is absorption rate and carrier method.

Do a quick search on topical fin and you'll see another member or two are tracking results. In addition to Dr. Wesley, I would contact SMG and Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Hasson at H+W as they are both top doctors who are now offering topical fin. Would be interesting to hear what their feedback is so far as well.

Hot topic for sure. Keep us posted.

I don't know that the jury is out on what it does to your dht levels. I think that has been establishe .

The jury is out on its effectiveness. I think it will be as effective, bit that is just a guess.

View Spanker's Website

• Administrators

The previously mentioned study was using 0.25% finasteride, most HT doctors use 0.01% finasteride, a much lower dose. My opinion is that I don't think topical will work as well as oral finasteride, but I also think the chances of side effects will be reduced. It's a catch 22, in a way you get less sides but it's also less effective. In my opinion you should get your blood levels checked before inhibiting any hormone in your body. If you have already low levels of DHT and you decimate the remaining levels you may really mess your hormones up for a while.

Personally, I think a drug like finasteride should be used just as anabolic steroids are used by professional athletes with constant supervision of a physician that's monitoring your DHT levels to make sure they don't drop dangerously low. Remember DHT has a primary function in men not only for your libido but mental state as well. Before doing anything I highly suggest going to a physician before purchasing or applying any hormone altering substances.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The previously mentioned study was using 0.25% finasteride, most HT doctors use 0.01% finasteride, a much lower dose. My opinion is that I don't think topical will work as well as oral finasteride, but I also think the chances of side effects will be reduced. It's a catch 22, in a way you get less sides but it's also less effective. In my opinion you should get your blood levels checked before inhibiting any hormone in your body. If you have already low levels of DHT and you decimate the remaining levels you may really mess your hormones up for a while.

Personally, I think a drug like finasteride should be used just as anabolic steroids are used by professional athletes with constant supervision of a physician that's monitoring your DHT levels to make sure they don't drop dangerously low. Remember DHT has a primary function in men not only for your libido but mental state as well. Before doing anything I highly suggest going to a physician before purchasing or applying any hormone altering substances.

agree completely. powerful stuff that is often taken too lightly imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive spoken to a few (more than 3) clinics recently. I'll refrain from mentioning names. Early returns seems to be promising. But when I pressed on sample size, how long they had been on topical vs oral, what % reported sides before vs now, the answers became cloudier.

I just dont think there's a large enough sample or reporting by clinics yet. A bit early in the game. Also, the formulations and even some ingredients differ by clinic

But if you can truly localize DHT reduction to the scalp and let DHT behave naturally in the rest of the male body, this could be exciting stuff.