FUE (A few questions)

I have had scalp micropigmentation and it is pretty damn good. Had it for 2 years. Never had a negative comment or any odd reactions. Only positive.

My only gripe with it is that it doesn't stand out in all lights. Any bright light and it can disappear under the glare....

I am considering getting some FUE scattered through from my SMP hairline to the centre of my scalp (I have no hair on top). I do not need it to cover the other 50%....

I do not let my hair get any longer than 1mm. I don't feel there will be any issue with it looking odd with having hair covering the frontal half of my scalp. I have hair on the back and sides and it grows slightly through the day, but the blend between the hair and the SMP in maintained to a natural appearance all day. If I leave it over 30-35 hours then that's when there is too much of a contrast.

I believe FUE transplanted this way will lessen the glare and maintain somewhat of a hairline in brighter lighting/sunny days as well as giving it a more stand out/better appearance in more flattering lighting.

QUESTIONS:

As I would be keeping my hair razor shaved will FUE scars be an issue?....

How much do FUE scars stand out these days?

I would likely aim to get 2000 grafts done.

I am based in the UK. Any ideas what the waiting times for getting FUE done by a renowned Hair transplant surgeon are here in the UK?

How much approx would 2000 grafts cost in the UK?

Thanks.

its gonna look a little funny cause ur doing it backwards. Usually one gets FUE then SMP that way the FUE scars are now camouflaged.

I wudnt say FUE scars are terribly noticeable but if ur shaving it down and doing it over SMP then yes they will be noticeable for sure due to the contrast of the white scar vs. the surrounding SMP ink..

is your SMP temporary or permanent. if temp I would wait till it fades then do it and even if its perm it will fade over time. I would wait, get FUE then get SMP again. yes its extensive no doubt to go that route but it will look better as a result.

there are no renowned FUE HT surgeons in the UK. go to Turkey ur only a couple hours away. that way 2000 grafts won't cost an arm and a leg. 2000 grafts in Turkey from Erdogan who is one of the best will be about 4000 pounds id guess. otherwise your looking at 8000-12000 pounds in the UK.

its gonna look a little funny cause ur doing it backwards. Usually one gets FUE then SMP that way the FUE scars are now camouflaged.

I wudnt say FUE scars are terribly noticeable but if ur shaving it down and doing it over SMP then yes they will be noticeable for sure due to the contrast of the white scar vs. the surrounding SMP ink..

is your SMP temporary or permanent. if temp I would wait till it fades then do it and even if its perm it will fade over time. I would wait, get FUE then get SMP again. yes its extensive no doubt to go that route but it will look better as a result.

there are no renowned FUE HT surgeons in the UK. go to Turkey ur only a couple hours away. that way 2000 grafts won't cost an arm and a leg. 2000 grafts in Turkey from Erdogan who is one of the best will be about 4000 pounds id guess. otherwise your looking at 8000-12000 pounds in the UK.

From what you are saying it sounds like you get scaring on the scalp where the hairs are transplanted into?...

Which I didn't know was an issue. Can you confirm that?

If that is the case...I do feel I could and highly likely would get my SMP darker. As I would plan to leave the hair length at a slight longer length so the SMP would need to be darker so that it blends in. So I would more than likely get SMP once more and that would be after the FUE.

I would not let my hair get that long. I'm talking less than a millimetre. I have seen one guy who had SMP ridiculously dark and had his hair grown out to 2-3mm's in length and it looked ridiculous. I am more realistic and will never 'over-do' it.

I think I'd be ok with having it done in the UK. Luckily I have the money. Unless I'm advised strongly not to see a UK surgeon based on people's opinions about quality. I did go to see Dr Raghu Reddy 3 years ago - before I got SMP and he was happy to help me and they gave a quote which was fairly hefty - especially because it would have wiped out my savings that I had at that time.

I am umming and arring about it though. As my SMP does a very good job. SMP truly works and I could live with it how it is....

But assuming a FUE hair transplant is done properly and the hairs stay in place, (I'm not sure on success rates) then my hair situation should be very satisfying compared with the days I looked slap-head bald.

My concerns:

- Likeliness of success of FUE hairs staying in place.

- Scarring.

Scarring with FUE varies from patient to patient. Can you provide any photos? With all available donor resources, you can get good results by having FUE. Considering using PRP and Acell with FUE. Lastly, you may minimize the appearance of missing hairs by placing body hair into the donor area extractions.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

If you plan on keeping your head completely shaved just to support the crop walk, I would not consider getting any hair transplant surgery. Scarring in the back may show because even though the linear scar won't be a problem since you are undergoing FUD if you plan on keeping your head completely shaved just to sport the cropped walk, I would not consider getting any hair transplant surgery. Scarring in the back may show because even though the linear scar won't be a problem since you are undergoing FUE, FUE is not a scarless procedure and you may see little white dots on the sides and back of your scalp.

You need to understand that lighting effects everything no matter what. Even if you had a shaved head with no hair loss, harsh bright lighting may make you appear completely bald. But typically, people don't hang out under that type of lighting very long. So people who see you will most likely see you with a purposely shaved head, not a bold man and when they see you under harsh lighting, they won't bat an eyelash because they have already drawn that conclusion.

In my opinion, the only reason to get a hair transplant is if you intend on growing your hair out at least a little. I wear my hair quite short compared to some to grow it so long they can styled their hair to the side. I really can only comb my hair forward only a little because I keep my hair pretty short. But, it certainly one off to show I have hair.

This of course is just my opinion. I'm not suggesting people don't try to do what you are attempting to accomplish however, I personally don't see the point of paying exorbitant amount of money on hair if you don't intend to grow it. It also may not look as natural as you want it to be.

Best wishes,

Bill

If you plan on keeping your head completely shaved just to support the crop walk, I would not consider getting any hair transplant surgery. Scarring in the back may show because even though the linear scar won't be a problem since you are undergoing FUD if you plan on keeping your head completely shaved just to sport the cropped walk, I would not consider getting any hair transplant surgery. Scarring in the back may show because even though the linear scar won't be a problem since you are undergoing FUE, FUE is not a scarless procedure and you may see little white dots on the sides and back of your scalp.

You need to understand that lighting effects everything no matter what. Even if you had a shaved head with no hair loss, harsh bright lighting may make you appear completely bald. But typically, people don't hang out under that type of lighting very long. So people who see you will most likely see you with a purposely shaved head, not a bold man and when they see you under harsh lighting, they won't bat an eyelash because they have already drawn that conclusion.

In my opinion, the only reason to get a hair transplant is if you intend on growing your hair out at least a little. I wear my hair quite short compared to some to grow it so long they can styled their hair to the side. I really can only comb my hair forward only a little because I keep my hair pretty short. But, it certainly one off to show I have hair.

This of course is just my opinion. I'm not suggesting people don't try to do what you are attempting to accomplish however, I personally don't see the point of paying exorbitant amount of money on hair if you don't intend to grow it. It also may not look as natural as you want it to be.

Best wishes,

Bill

Cheers Bill.

- I intend to grow my hair, but just very slightly.

- I understand where you are coming from as per lighting. But I believe it will make enough of a difference to stand out better in just about all lights (apart from the harshest). I see how the hair I have left on the sides stands up to my SMP bald scalp and it does a much better job.

- I believe the added texture and darkness of the hair will make a reasonable difference. I believe that for whatever reason - when the hair on your head matches the darkness and texture of your eyebrows/eyelashes/beard - then it all works together to give men a better look. My SMP obviously doesn't have texture and is lighter than my beard/eyebrows. Getting my SMP as dark as my beard/eyebrows is not an option as SMP should replicate a razor shaved head and razor shaved heads are much lighter than the beard/eyebrows. Getting SMP to match that level of darkness would look stupid. FUE is the option.

- Scarring - I would plan to get SMP into the scarring / thinned out areas ? I understand people get this done anyway for all types of scalp scarring. I also understand it may very in how well the ink settles into the scar tissue. Though I'd expect it would be fine.

- Expense - Yes it is a lot of money for what may be a slight improvement to most. Luckily I have more than enough to pay for it. I am thinking of just getting 1000 grafts and that would be around ?6000-?7000.

I am totally 50:50 about getting it done. I think I need more advice. I need to understand what sort of coverage and at what density that 1000 or more grafts could create. I need assurances that scarring won't be overwhelming and that it would easily be obscured by adding some SMP into the scars. I also need assurances that it could be blended back nicely so that there is not a clear contrast between the SMP on the crown and the transplanted hair on the frontal 1/3rd / hairline.

If I was to get FUE done I'd then get SMP again - darker on top of the scalp and also some to fill in the scarring.

I'm glad to see that you have thought it all through. It's definitely something to consider if that's what you want to do however, you could always just consider getting more scalp micro pigmentation to make it appear denser. If you want your hair longer, then if you we would certainly work but it also depends on how much hair you already have on your head. Example, if your scalp is fully bald and SMP is the only thing that makes it look like you have hair, going to need a large hair transplant session, probably multiple sessions in order to make your hair show any kind of density by growing it out even a little.

Just some more to think about.

Best,

Bill

Bill makes some very good points. You have a lot to consider. This may or may not help, but I'm posting a picture of my donor area two years after my first surgery. I would estimate about 1,750 grafts came from the area marked. There's very little discernible scarring from a couple feet away. Hope the picture helps.

Left%2BDonor%2BPre.JPG

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Bill makes some very good points. You have a lot to consider. This may or may not help, but I'm posting a picture of my donor area two years after my first surgery. I would estimate about 1,750 grafts came from the area marked. There's very little discernible scarring from a couple feet away. Hope the picture helps.

Left%2BDonor%2BPre.JPG

Thanks.

Yes - no clear scarring/patches.

I saw Dr Raghu Reddy 3 years ago about doing this and he said he was happy to use 2000 grafts to do so. I'm not entirely sure what my donor area would look like after having 2000 grafts taken away as I don't think the density is particularly great as it is. But he said he could get 2000 grafts out of it.

I'd rather go for less grafts to start with and see what happens. Maybe max 1400. I personally feel a decent density at the front and then thinning out gradually as it goes back towards the crown will be fine. It's all about the hairline for me, but would like the frontal third covered in grafts. The crown will be left bald, but SMP will of course cover it.

Look at ex footballer (soccer player) Zinedine Zidane:

Euro%202012_Zidane-AFP_sport%20direct8.jpg

Those that don't know - Zidane is famous for his obscure balding.....he has a hairline but the crown has massively disappeared.

I'm totally bald on top (NW6). I'd just get that same sort of area of hair that Zidnae has at the front transplanted in and SMP would do the rest of the work on the crown and with density.

Zidane would look great with his crown filled in with SMP and it would look natural.

Zidane definitely has a hair transplant. That hairline doesn't look too good though, imho.

You think so?

I, and I think most people believe that he just has a rare balding pattern, with the hair disappearing mainly from the crown.

If he has had a hair transplant he must have had it in the 90's as his hair has never been receded at the front (well slightly) - his hairline is angled at the temples.

So that's a pretty good result for the 90's if it is a hair transplant.

I'm surprised he hasn't had further work done if it is a hair transplant.