Best options for first HT for someone around 30

So, I have been thinning for almost a decade now, and it's come to the point where it has become noticeable. I'm 29, and at this point a NIII, moving toward NIV status. I started taking topical fin after not using fin for over a year and half (previously I was on and off), but may just move to pill form soon if I don't see a slow down in the thinning (currently debating it). Either way, I'm at the point now where I think I'd like to rebuild the front of my hairline. I've been following this forum for over 3 years and have become well acquainted with the realities. I realized that I needed to after I saw a picture of myself recently and saw how much my hairline has receded. I basically feel like I look aged, and don't really feel like that age.

Cost is a factor: I am a law student, but I will have a summer associate position at a firm this summer that will net me around 30k, I expect to use a good 1/3 of it for a surgery, but not more than 1/2. I am in NYC, but I am thinking FUE and considering options in Turkey, but have been reading that for maximal growth, an FUT might still be a better idea. I am worried about FUT for one reason: I have heard that the recovery process for it is harder. I am fairly active, and enjoy quite a few sports (particularly martial arts) and am terrified of not being able to exercise for the three month period that I have heard is needed for the scar to heal.

I also keep wavering back and forth because I am worried about the tech aspect of foreign surgeries: I am somewhat scared about the fact that I have heard many of these places (even renown ones) use techs for much of the surgery. I don't know to what extent I should worry about that given the great results posted here.

In short, I was wondering about what recommendations people would have. Seems broad, but this thread is just a part of my overall research. I know that this has seemed like some kind of condensed summation of the kind of discussions that have gone on here on this forum, but I have been following this place for quite a while and am trying to do my best wrt the due diligence necessary before jumping the gun on this, so to speak.

Pursue maximal medical therapy. Explore managing the effects of hair loss (miniaturization) with treatments like PRP. What you should know is that conservatively managing your finite donor resources will dictate how likely you are to achieve your goals with surgery.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Have you had any consults yet? Do you know roughly how many grafts you'd be looking at?

Also being from NYC, I would grab a quick consult at Wesley to start who is showing nice results here as of late, both FUE and FUT. From there I would hit all the usual suspects-Rahal, H+W, Shapiro, Konior, Cooley, Gabel, and Erdogan, Bisanga, Feriduni, Lorenzo on FUE/Europe Front.

Best way to do it. Have some calls. Pick brains. Get different perspectives and game plans. See who you have the best rapport with. Posting some pics will help garner additional opinions too.

Thanks guys. It feels like such an overwhelming thing to start the research process. So much out there that seems to contradct others. I will try and book a consultation with Wesley just to talk about options. I'm looking for around 2500 grafts on the front half of my head,enough to reconstruct a conservative hairline and leave enough for future HTs.

Pursue maximal medical therapy. Explore managing the effects of hair loss (miniaturization) with treatments like PRP. What you should know is that conservatively managing your finite donor resources will dictate how likely you are to achieve your goals with surgery.

This is the first time I am hearing about PRP, strangely enough. Thanks though, I'll be sure to bring it up during consultations.

So, in terms of doing research, I was wondering how people here began? There seems to be a lot of results posted here and on the website of recommended docs and they all seem really great and varied (in terms of the type of loss). I have a sense of who the doctors that do large scale surgeries are vs. those more conservative (I have considered Erdogan, but am a bit worried by how aggressive he is with the amount). How to ascertain the doc for you, especially for those docs I can't visit (those in Canada, and those in Europe/Turkey)?

I will try and post pics here soon to get some lay opinion here, besides the consultations.

I have been trying to schedule some consultations, but was a bit disappointed with the cost of Wesley, who would be nearest to me. I cannot find any price for FUT for him anywhere, and I wouldn't like to spend $250 just to get an overly high estimate compared to, say, H&W or Feller, both of which have their graft costs available.

The list I mentioned above is basically a top 8-10 surgeons in the world. Other great ones too obviously. I encourage you to speak with as many as possible.

The Wesley fee is purely a New York thing. Speaking as a New Yorker. Most consults are free. Time is money though, I dont blame them, but $250 is aggressive.

The list I mentioned above is basically a top 8-10 surgeons in the world. Other great ones too obviously. I encourage you to speak with as many as possible.

The Wesley fee is purely a New York thing. Speaking as a New Yorker. Most consults are free. Time is money though, I dont blame them, but $250 is aggressive.

Wesley is a really good doctor but I agree 250 is aggressive. But he might apply that money to the cost of surgery if you choose to go with him like some others do.

Unlike Bauman in Boca Raton where it feels like you get charged the second you pull in the parking lot . They nickle and dime you for everything.

• Administrators

$250 is unreasonable to be honest, I consulted with Dr. Gabel in Oregon drove out there from California, he sat with me for at least 2-3 hours for free, he even encouraged me to follow up with my original doctor because the work was good. That is a sign of a top class doctor out of all the doctors i've met with he was the most honest and ethical I've encountered.

Unless, Dr. Wesley is giving you Finasteride and minoxidil with the consultation I don't feel inspecting your donor microscopically and discussing a strategy with you warrants such a fee. I get New York is expensive I know im from California but $250 will turn a lot of people off which is a shame because his work looks really good.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

We're def in agreement. $250 is a stretch.

Bernstein charged me $195, and made it clear with body language that time was basically up after 15 minutes. I had no context at the time, but it was rough. Genius of a guy, but bedside manner not the best.

SMG and Konior and H+W were also free.

Ron sat on the phone with me for an hour on a Friday night at 7pm. Konior similar amount of time spent and many more emails. Only spoke with Wong but he called me on his last day in the office before a conference. Point being OP, the top guys like Gabel and others mentioned are very generous with their time.

Set up some phone /skype calls and pick a few to visit.

Its so nice to see a young guy put so much thought & time into his choice.

he named some of the best Drs in the world my advice would be speak to these people as much as possible like one member said pick tbere brains then your choice will become somewhat clearer.

PRP/ Acell should be fine but it wont fix your hair long term unless your willing to spend between 1k / 2500 k every 12 mths or so.

Remember to research cases most similar to yours. You can find results for PRP, FUE, and FUT, but you should keep in mind that results are also found in the donor area. How you heal in the donor area is just as important as how your grafts grow.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Remember to research cases most similar to yours. You can find results for PRP, FUE, and FUT, but you should keep in mind that results are also found in the donor area. How you heal in the donor area is just as important as how your grafts grow.

That's an excellent point about the donor.

• 4 weeks later...
For those who had FUTs: how quickly after did you guys begin to be physically active again without fear that it would effect the scar healing?

10 days for me, but 'light' exercise. i.e. running/jogging ok, anything that might cause you to really stretch your donor area like weights or yoga is not good for maybe 6 weeks or more.

Thanks guys. It feels like such an overwhelming thing to start the research process. So much out there that seems to contradct others. I will try and book a consultation with Wesley just to talk about options. I'm looking for around 2500 grafts on the front half of my head,enough to reconstruct a conservative hairline and leave enough for future HTs.

I understand where you are coming from my man. I am 30 and just had my first HT, and I can honestly say I could not be happier that I did it! It takes time and I am just 5 months post op. I already have more hair than I did when I was in my early 20's. Do ALOT of research and make a choice from who you feel is best and this site as a resource. Feel free to look at my posts on here, I have a lot of pics and update photos with my progress. It is your decision and a very important one. You only get one chance to live, so do it with confidence!!! Be that bald and proud or a head of transplanted hair! Good luck!