Top 5 Doctors specializing in African American Men Hair Transplant

Evening,

I'm african american male age 40. I'm have MPB, there is thining in the horse shoe area on top of my head, its not completely bald, but when hair grows a bit you can see my thinning area. I'm interested in getting hair transplant and I will only do FUE, not FUT, since I wear my hair low. Live on the east coast near Virginia, and i'm willing to travel as far as west coast to do the surgey, I would prefer not to, incase something goes wrong and I need to consult with Dr.

So, my question is who would you say are the top 5 Doctors that specialize in African American men FUE procedure or atleast give a suggestion.

I'm looking at Dr Diep (San Jose) and Dr. Yates (Illinois). One concern I have with Dr Diep is that isn't a member of iahrs would you say its a must for Dr. to be member of this IAHRS Diep, seems to have the most experience with african american FUE and understands our hair.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for all your guidance on my journey..

• Administrators

IAHRS is not a necessity, in fact there are some doctors who are IAHRS recommended who are no longer recommended on here due to poor results yet IAHRS never stopped recommending them Dr. Diep did my surgery I believe he specializes in curly hair, very few doctors I know specialize in curly hair I think Umar also does but I could be wrong.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Consider expanding your search criteria to Belgium, the capital of Europe. The effort will be worth your time. If there are any doctors who can say that they specialize in Black hair, look in Belgium. Search for the top results of experienced FUE doctors who can perform low-transection extraction of very curly, wiry, or Black African hair. The most consistent of doctors will be in your best interests.

Thanks for sharing.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I know Dr Vories in SC has a lot of AA cases on his site so I think he has some focus. He does strictly does FUE .

His top Tech person is an AA lady been with him 11 plus years, just FYI. Obviously check out a number of Dr's with online consult and see what you think.

The IAHRS is a membership site, similar to this one but ran by a different person named Spencer Kobren and with different standards than we have. Unfortunately, there has been some bad blood between their site and ours and thus, we don't discuss or reference them here on our site. That said, I will just simply say that I do not know what standards they use at this point to recommend surgeons. But I do know that the surgeons we recommend must meet our demanding standards and if we have removed surgeons from our list due to concerns which has happened many times, then I would be leery of any other website that continues to recommend them.

That said, not every doctor that has been removed from the site has been removed because of concerns we've had. Some have chosen to part ways and others have been mutual decisions. If anyone has questions about a particular doctor that is no longer recommended here, you are welcome to send me a private message and I will share with you what I can. It is not our goal to harm anyone's reputation which is usually why recommendations are often discontinued quietly. If there was a serious issue that we felt patients needed to be informed about, we would certainly tell them in the interest of protecting patients. But in most cases, a quiet dismissal is typically best for everyone.

That said, Dr. Diep is recommended by this community and in my opinion he is certainly worth considering. He has been prescreened by the patients and physicians of this community and has been approved and I personally have faith in his ability and results.

I hope this helps.

Bill

I had no idea the IAHRS was part of the spencer kobren website. Ok, so where does this site keep a list of its recommended HT surgeons? I'll take a look around, but send me link if you can. I'll try and setup an online consultation with Dr Vorie in SC, Dr. Diep and Dr. Yates and see what they say.

Thanks for all your valuable info, hoping things go smooth for me, HT seems to be the only option.

If you look up in the top right portion of this page you will see a box that says multimedia center. Just below it is a box that says find a great surgeon in your area. That is where the doctors recommended on this site are. There are lots of great doctors listed here but there are also lots of really great doctors not listed here. You need to make this your decision not let anyone else make it for you. Diep does a great job on African American hair. I like Yates too I actually talked with both of them. I am not African American but Yates is not far from me.

I had no idea that site was run by Spencer kobren. I know this might be an awkward question but what ones the better certificate to have up on the wall if you was a physician? sorry to divert the actually thread.

I don't think you'll get that answer on here . Plenty of surgeons are members of both ( and more besides ) .

• Administrators
I had no idea that site was run by Spencer kobren. I know this might be an awkward question but what ones the better certificate to have up on the wall if you was a physician? sorry to divert the actually thread.

The fact that physician disputes have to be filed in a "private" section of the IAHRS forum, and the fact that some Turkish doctors with a string of terrible results are still IAHRS certified kind of answers that question to me haha.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...