CVG Discussion

Just buzzed my hair to see what I have to look forward to in a few years and noticed I have two small ridges on both sides of my head high on the scalp towards the back. They are not noticeable unless my hair is very short, a two or three guard. After an internet search I have self diagnosed as a mild case of cutis verticis gyrata. There is not a whole lot of info out there, so I'd like to start a discussion here with personal experiences.

Here's my story:

1. I know the ridges have been present for at least ten years, I actually have a picture where my hair was extremely short and you can see the same pattern.

2. I'm 44 now and I don't think the ridges have grown or changed at all the last ten years. I bring this up because all the limited info online states that it is a progressive disease, but the few case studies I've been able to read usually mention an adolescent onset and no change for a number of years. Is it possible that the condition starts and runs its course through adolescence? Has anyone noticed changes to their condition later in life?

3. My ridges are relatively small, the longest may be 2 1/2 inches and I don't really have a furrow more like a small depression between the two probably 1/8 inch deep and wide and they seem really straight. The ridges are definitely not soft or spongy like the most websites describe, they are hard and I thought it was bone until recently. I don't really notice any difference in hair thickness between the two, in fact my hair is thickest where the ridges are. I'm thinning at the temples and frontal area.

4. Is it possible that I don't have CVG at all and just have a little extra tissue on my scalp in a couple of places? I went to see a surgeon about the condition because I want to buzz my hair short and he's the one that told me the ridges were soft tissue ( I though they were bony bumps in the skull) and that some people have them.

5. My surgeon recommended filling the depressions with a dermal filler, so I'm currently considering that option.

I started this thread because after three days of searching for info, I realize that it just isn't out there. I'm looking for personal stories and experiences.

Thanks and good luck to all those dealing with this issue.

I have cvg. Yours sounder very minor, which I think is a lot more common. Mine hasn't really changed in years either. Mine is much worse than it sounds like yours is, but not as bad as others (the really bad ones on the Internet). I consider mine moderate.

You won't find many that knows what it is. I self diagnosed myself to a dermatologist abdominal he said, I didn't have it. I told him I was sure I did. He went into 1980s mode and went to the back and pulled a book out. Read it for a minute and said that he guessed I was right.

I think you can have various degrees of it, so while you do likely have it, I doubt it will get worse or be a major issue to you.

Posting pics would help.

They say that subcision has helped some but I also found that it came with scarring. As small as yours sound, my advice is to do nothing.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for the reply Spanker. I really am just beginning to process all of this and wobble between freaking out and staying calm. My main concern is the grooves getting worse over time. I wonder if the condition can go dormant for years and then begin again? Seems strange but then most of the workings of the human body are.

Are your ridges soft or spongy like the textbooks say or are they hard to the touch?

Seems like most of the severe cases are younger, it almost seems that it occurs during puberty and that once the hormones settle down things stabilize (hopefully). Going to have my free testosterone levels checked tomorrow b/c all I've read says CVG makes them low due to the increased usage of T by peripheral tissue.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance, but thanks for the discussion it's definitely cathartic.

By the way I have been able to find a few cases where subcision with fat injection or dermal filler has made improvements in appearance so I'm hopeful.

Mine are soft if you press hard enough. But seem hard if you just touch them. You can press a dentist in them that stays for a bit.

I would not worry about them getting much worse. I agree that it usually forms during puberty and that's what you get. I think my testosterone is slightly lower. Not sure if it has anything to do with CVG. My advice is really to not stress it. I have rocked a shaved head with it and I got by. People really think a lot less about you than you think.

I understand not liking it. I don't either. But yours sounds pretty minor. I know a few people personally that have really mild cases. Mine is the worst of anyone I personally know.

My friend said it looks like I got attached by Wolverine from the streaks it puts in my short hair.

I think that it can speed up hair loss in places that you are already losing it, but I don't think it causes hairloss in mild cases.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 1 month later...

Hey Spanker,

I have what I consider a mild case of CVG - not as extreme as some on the internet, but definitely not a mild case. I have 3 ridges on each side of my scalp, for a total of 6.

I have read about the traditional excision / removal of the scap as a solution. But recently read about subcision (release) of the creases combined with fat injections.

Do you have any information on these options and the cost difference?

I have not seen a doctor yet, but with my hair continuing to bald I am getting more serious about scheduling a visit. Trying to do some homework before I do.