Shave vs no-shave experiences - what do you recommend ?

I have been considering the no-shave technique at Dr. Bhatti's, but I've been reading others' experiences on the forum and it looks like a few are not happy with the "mushroom" look that the no-shave results in. Is it not possible to get a crew cut hairstyle prior to the procedure so that the hair won't look as uneven as it otherwise would after the no-shave procedure ?

Even if the no-shave technique can be carried out without making your head look too weird, are these valid reasons to avoid the no-shave technique ? :

1. Doctors say high density at recipient area is going to be tough.

2. More dirt gets accumulated in the hair over time can potentially cause infections.

3. Styling surrounding hair to cover up recipient are during the early days may be harmful to the grafts.

I would like to hear first hand experiences from those who have already gone through this.

Would you recommend the no-shave technique to others ?

I have been considering the no-shave technique at Dr. Bhatti's, but I've been reading others' experiences on the forum and it looks like a few are not happy with the "mushroom" look that the no-shave results in. Is it not possible to get a crew cut hairstyle prior to the procedure so that the hair won't look as uneven as it otherwise would after the no-shave procedure ?

Even if the no-shave technique can be carried out without making your head look too weird, are these valid reasons to avoid the no-shave technique ? :

2. More dirt gets accumulated in the hair over time can potentially cause infections.

3. Styling surrounding hair to cover up recipient are during the early days may be harmful to the grafts.

I would like to hear first hand experiences from those who have already gone through this.

Would you recommend the no-shave technique to others ?

Hi Starscream,

Here is a link to a "no shave FUE by Dr. Bhatti" YouTube video. This might help to provide more insight into how the "no shave" technique is executed.

Please note that the "no shave" method might be possible only for "smaller" HT procedures (2000 grafts or less).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

From all ive read its better to shave it. Your going to look weird either way for 5 months. Just go for it. Shaved will probably look less weird and you can just wear a hat. Better odds.

100% agree with you. Before getting my HT, I also did not want to shave my head. But after you realize what you need to do to heal, and spray the grafts, put antibiotic creme on your strip scar or FUE donor site - you want it to be free and easy.

Shaving is not only better for the surgeons and techs who have to work on you, but in the end its better for you as well. Just from my experience.

What do you mean by mushroom effect? I imagine a surgeon could probably work around a 2 or 3 buzz cut on top which gives you a bit of growth on top even though the back and sides are shaved.

Interesting to hear comments from a surgeon on this.

Regarding the haircut that looks like a mushroom, check out these posts:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182426-hair-transplant-dr-tejinder-bhatti-1500-grafts-fue-restore-hairline-3.html#post2461765

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182967-11th-march-2016-dr-tejinder-bhatti-1-836-fue.html#post2466975

What do you mean by mushroom effect? I imagine a surgeon could probably work around a 2 or 3 buzz cut on top which gives you a bit of growth on top even though the back and sides are shaved.

Interesting to hear comments from a surgeon on this.

Personally, I found it much easier to just have the whole thing shaved. I ended up concocting a story that would allow me to wear a hat for a couple months after my procedure anyway, so I didn't feel the need to try and salvage a hairstyle once it was all said and done.

I imagine it makes the job of the surgeon and the techs much more difficult as well if they're having to carefully work around longer native hairs, and I wanted to give myself the best odds possible for a solid result.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I wouldn't bother doing the "NO SHAVE" thing regardless of how many grafts you are getting, whether it be 700 or 4000, besides cutting your hair to look like 12 year old school boy with bowl cut from the 1930s, you subject your hair to a 14day period of gently splashing mineral water on it, thus your hair and scalp look worse than if you just shaved it. My personal experience is that I got a very nasty scalp infection and bad case of dandruff, something that has never happened before. I ended up carefully shaving off the rest around day 20. The No shave thing is just a sales pitch to compete with FUT transplants & nothing else. What people are unaware of is that by the time 14days is up, the overall hairs have grown enough to look quite presentable, during this 14day period you really should be avoiding contact with people, the outdoors anyway, so if you are thinking of the no shave, take my advice don't bother.

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

I am leaning towards the no-shave option for my 2nd HT (likely FUE), considering that the FUT scar from my 1st procedure.

Still weighing the pros and cons.

Perhaps another option for me would be to see if the grafts can be placed on the FUT scar during the 2nd procedure.

Yeah, I'm due to have my 3rd HT in June with Dr. Bisanga and my preference is the non-shave option. In the recipient area that is, I have no issues in shaving the donor.

My first HT over 3 years ago involved 2,100 grafts (FUE) to my hairline and I had my head completely shaved for that. My 2nd HT in May-14 involved 1,200 grafts (FUE again) and I only shaved the donor area. 700 of the grafts were placed into my temple points while 500 were placed into an area just behind the hairline that was missed first time round. Recovery the 2nd time was so much easier. I had a bit of a nightmare first time round with bad shock loss in the donor and very slow growth in the recipient! After the 2nd HT I was out with friends after day 8 and nobody noticed a thing (luckily I keep my sides very short anyway).

So with the 3rd HT im just looking to strengthen the area behind the hairline. Its not too bad and I've been quoted 500 - 750 grafts. I prefer the idea of maintaining a HT with smaller FUE sessions rather than waiting another few years and going for a bigger op. Plus smaller ops allow the recipient to be non-shaven which makes recovery so much easier (not to mention keeping it hidden from others!). I realise shock loss is a concern but I'm willing to take that risk (plus any hairs that are permanently lost are on their way out anyway).

The "no shave" technique is definitely very appealing for those who want to look as natural as possible immediately after surgery. That said, the technique is definitely more difficult as it makes extraction and implantation more difficult. The more difficult the procedure, the higher the risk of damage to the follicles and thus, the higher the risk that you won't achieve maximum growth yield. To compensate for the increased risks, experience must also be higher.

While I know Dr. Bhatti does exceptional work, I don't see the point of undergoing a procedure that makes it more difficult for the doctor because the risks are then increased that you won't get the results you ultinately want. In my opinion, I would rather look a bit silly immediately after surgery and have superior results for the rest of my life then look normal after surgery and have potentially not as good of a result permanently. Note that I am not saying that you will definitely receive a lesser result if you choose to undergo long haired FUE but, the risks are greater and thus, I would shave.

That's just my opinion.

Bill

Shaving definitely makes a procedure easier for the doctor and in many cases it can be easier for the patient with regards to the after care (applying topical for recovery) but many patients simply cannot be in a position where their heads are shaved in any way shape or form.

1. It can be more difficult but only if a really high density is being attempted but of course if a very high density is being attempted this means that there is probably not much hair in the recipient area to begin with so it is kind of a contradictory situation.

2. No. Quite the opposite. With the direct exposure a shaved head gets it is more likely for "dirt" to fall directly on the recipient area. With hair unshaven this can potentially deflect this dirt that you speak of from causing infection in the first place. If the recipient sites are made properly (small enough) then they will close and start to heal very fast and once a clot has formed on the incision then infection has a really hard time taking hold. In fact, most post surgery infections can trace the point of infection back to the surgery itself because of relaxed contamination protocols.

3. True but this is usually not an issue if the recipient area is cleaned properly after your surgery. Besides, you likely won't be mingling with friends and family for the first few days after your surgery anyway so it doesn't really matter. When a few days have passed it is safe to carefully style your hair.

The debate about shaving or not shaving is pretty old and there are many points pro and con on both sides but ultimately it comes down to the experience of the doctor you choose.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

I think hair buzzed to a number 3 or so would give enough room for a surgeon to place grafts and give your a bit of a head start with growth on top. Sides grow back pretty quick, so you could probably salvage a half decent haircut in a few weeks post surgery.

The standard to any surgery is shaving the donor. As no two patients are the same, zero-shave FUE and partial-shave FUE is practiced on a daily basis.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Well, sit down everybody --- I shaved.!! yes the entire recipient area was buzzed and I am glad I caved for the reasons Bill above gave, I did not want to play the 'what if' game in 8 months. Give yourself every opportunity to succeed now and then there is no second guessing.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Well, sit down everybody --- I shaved.!! yes the entire recipient area was buzzed and I am glad I caved for the reasons Bill above gave, I did not want to play the 'what if' game in 8 months. Give yourself every opportunity to succeed now and then there is no second guessing

You're a wise man.

I'm gonna shave as well for my 2nd HT. I'm not taking any chances

There's obviously two camps to this. My reason for no shave was that I've never buzzed my hair ever before and I would be returning to work pretty soonish. If I had the comfort of staying at home and recovering for a couple of months then yes maybe I would opt for shave.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182967-11th-march-2016-dr-tejinder-bhatti-1-836-fue.html

In my HT I would say that I had a partial shave. I was expecting a no shave but in hindsight I think Dr Bhatti did the best thing. No hair was shaved on top. And there was frankly no need to as I just had to do my hairline and temples. On the donor area however, the doc shaved from the neck to about half way up my head and hair clipped clipped the rest of the hair facing up. Initially this was not to my liking as it would result in me having a mushroom haircut but I think his reasons were that he could extract the hairs easily and it allows a more clean area for recovery, reducing the chance of infection if you have long hair sprawling around in the donor area.

It took about two weeks for the donor area to recover and then about I got a haircut to blend the hair at the back. The pic is in my thread after the cut and I don't think it looks major bad. I've gotten used to it and no one has commented.

For those who are considering a HT I would recommend a partial shave. Give it 2 weeks to recover and you'll be fine to go about your business. No one would suspect a thing. The doc did the best thing with regards to that.

I agree that non-shaven is a little more difficult for the doctor to perform the surgery and certainly more time consuming. Hence, it's only really viable for a small(ish) number of grafts and the skill of the doctor is paramount. I actually had a small top up of 500 grafts a year after my HT to address a small area that was missed and the recipient was not shaved down for that. Recovery was so much easier and it was undetectable by day 7! I had zero issues with aftercare and had an excellent result from the small number of grafts.

Any yep plotholes, ill be getting my hair cut with a blade 2 on the sides on the day before surgery so when the donor is shaved it should blend fairly well with the top.

Here is a case that is considered to almost be taboo when it comes to shaving vs. not shaving. Dr. Arocha performed a very larger procedure, 5900 grafts in one session, and this diffused thinner did not have to shave his recipient zone. The final outcome speaks for itself.

http://vimeo.com/117635650

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!