11th March 2016 - Dr Tejinder Bhatti - 1,836 FUE

CSB

Hi,

Thought I should create a thread here as it's been pivotal in helping me choose to go ahead with my hair transplant, and that with Dr Tejinder Bhatti.

A bit of background about myself. I'm 26 and ever since my late teens since I decided to cut my hair I've noticed that I suffered from Sikh traction alopecia. For those who don't know what this is, it's basically tying a top knot. In my case it wasn't my choice to keep long hair but that of my parents, mainly my mom, since a young age. I wasn't particularly religious and didn't really want to keep it long anyway. It was tied quite tightly and hence why my hairline looks receded.

Over the past several years I've used finasteride to try and retain the hair that I have and slow down the thinning I am experiencing on top.

Of course like you, my main choice to choose the hair transplant was because of confidence issues. I've never had a proper hairstyle or been able to comb it in a way that I liked (big schnoz). I would try to keep it from medium to long so I could try and brush it forward and cover the areas that had no growth. I resembled Howard from the Big Bang Theory, same sort of hairstyle and I've been told I look like him (not sure if that is a compliment :/). Quite embarrassing but I used an eye liner pencil to fill up the areas on my temples when the barber cut my hair too short. This would show a patch of skin between the beard and hair which would look weird.

I emailed the doc back in about November 2015 and sent some pics over. He recommended 1,800 grafts. Since I was going to India with my grandparents to our home in Punjab I used this opportunity to get it done, coupled with the fact that I booked 3 weeks off work which would give me ample recovery time. I came to India on 3rd of March and the procedure was booked for the 11th of March. Deposit etc was all done beforehand.

I traveled to Chandigarh on the 10th by bus from our house (about 2.5 hrs) and met with the doc who drew the hairline. I was ok with it. I've never seen my normal hairline before so couldn't really comment and left it to his experience/opinion. Stayed at Hotel Ab's in sector 17. The morning after I came in and paid all the cash, got injected with antibiotics and then the part that disgruntled me: the no shave cut. Since I was going back to work near the end of the month I didn't want my head to be shaved. I've never had it shaved before but I know I wouldn't look good so I opted for the non shave technique. Before I could say anything about how I would like it cut the doc was quick to take off my hair from the neck to about half way up my head. Now obviously the damage was already done, there was no point arguing. I just knew I would look ridiculous.

Anyway the op went as usual, lots of injections to numb the area. The one thing that stood out for me was the crunching noise the tool made as the new holes for the grafts were created. Was really weird. At the end I had to wear like a shower cap net thing.

When I went back to the hotel I didn't really want to eat as I noticed pressure on my temples when I moved my jaw. I wasn't going to risk dislodging them. Stayed up till midnight as recommended with 20 min saline sprays. Didn't get a good sleep as I couldn't rest my head properly I basically was laying down on my front, with my head elevated.

The next morning I went back to the clinic and they ran me quickly through the post op procedure. A bit too quick for my liking. I wished they had washed all my hair then but instead it was a couple of dabs here and there on the new transplanted area. Paid the extra amount that was needed for the 36 grafts and went on my way back home by bus.

As I've read here by others, yes it does feel like you're on a conveyor belt but this is understandable because of the demand in business the doc has. I just wished that it had more of a personal touch, especially with regards to shaving the area. The ointment they provide is just 3 grams which lasted about one day. I had to go out and get some more, this is the same with the Gillette shaving foam which was provided.

Anyway I'm now 2 weeks post op and can see the crusting on the hair lifting up. I haven't used any aloe vera on the graft site as the aloe vera water they provided along with the instructions of not using the same finger to get more water out was a bit ludicrous. I couldn't see how I would cover the graft area with a small amount of aloe vera on a finger, even with repeating it. Would take way too much time. It wasn't going to happen. I've ordered some aloe vera gel that I will apply once I get it.

Singles - 499

Doubles - 798

Triples - 539

Hairline - 1,298

R Temple - 312

L Temple - 226

Here are pics before:

20151203_205300.jpg

20151203_205318.jpg

20151203_205346.jpg

How I normally comb my hair:

2016-03-25%2018.40.44.jpg

Evening post op. Look like something out of a horror film:

2016-03-25%2018.42.29.jpg

I didn't get a cap to wear but a bandanna:

2016-03-25%2018.47.54.jpg

2nd day post op:

20160313_103327-1.jpg

How the donor area looked:

20160315_152534-1-1.jpg

20160315_152525-1.jpg

About a week post op when I could finally wash my hair. You wouldn't believe how much dirt was washed out:

20160319_083739-1-1.jpg

2 weeks post op. Can finally comb my hair forward to look a bit more presentable and hide the graft area. Still the back of my head looks stupid:

2016-03-25%2018.51.24.jpg

I'm just hoping that my donor area hair grows back quickly so I can fade the back of the head instead of it looking like a mushroom.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome and than you for taking the time to share you experience! I'm a happy Dr. Bhatti patient and I'm certain you will be too. THe work looks excellent as expected. Looking forward to you updates.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Day 16 post op now. I was worried about the crusting mainly because it was lingering on the tips of the hair and you can see it when I washed them. When they are dry you can't really tell. After some reading, by this time post op, the crusts supposed to have fallen off. But I think I've been too light handed when washing them daily. I usually just dab instead of brushing. Even so, the jet from the saline bottle wouldn't remove them.

You can see in this day 15 pic the crusts look pretty groce. They are just sitting on the hair:

20160326_123122-1.jpg

After letting them soak in baby oil after I washed, I took a comb and gently tried to lift off the crusts. By the time I was done there was quite a bit of hair that had also come off but no bleeding so I'm hoping it's good. I've also read that if you leave the crusts on this can impede the healing process. I didn't want that happening.

With baby oil and after removing:

20160327_112351-1.jpg

After washing again. There is still a bit of crusts but it's a lot less than before. Hoping this will come off with normal washing (was first time washing the area with normal warm water and baby shampoo):

20160327_112419-1.jpg

I noticed that one of my temples has started to look a lot hairless. Should I be worried? Could it be that the hairs and crusts naturally fell out accidentally during sleep? Again I didn't notice any blood at all. For the first week I was very careful about how I slept. I only noticed it started looking a bit bald after it started to crust up.

Noticed about 3 transplanted hairs next to me on the bed when I woke up.

Can the shedding phase begin so early? :/

Yes. I also had some early shedding.

Did your doctor told you the density of your HT? I dont Think it looks so dense.

The grafts looks spread out

Noticed about 3 transplanted hairs next to me on the bed when I woke up.

Can the shedding phase begin so early? :/

Yes. I also had some early shedding.

Did your doctor told you the density of your HT? I dont Think it looks so dense.

The grafts looks spread out

But they grow fine with good density for them?

Hi CSB, congratulations on your hair transplant with Dr Bhatti.

There's really no need for you to be worried with regards to graft spacing. If you check my thread you will see that I have very similar hair quality to yours. It was said that my grafts were too far apart but when you consider the end result, the spacing was not really such an issue.

Feel free to contact me in the UK, I can send you some recent pics that will alleviate any doubts you may have. The best of luck on your future growth, not that you'll need it!

Thanks Shera. Your thread was one of others that made me decide to go with Dr Bhatti.

I'll be giving your thread another full read again.

A couple of questions:

- how many grafts did you shed and what % grew back? I've read that once you've shed your grafts, the leftovers will give an indication of what to expect.

- I noticed your thinning on top especially around the crown is a similar pattern to mine. Your pre op pics are basically what I think would happen to me in the future. What age did you notice the top getting bald and over how many years did it take you to get to that pre op pic?

Thanks

Hi CBS, I'm glad my thread contributed towards you making the decision to have your hair transplant. I did try to make it as informative as possible and you may well find many answers in there to forthcoming questions and queries you may have with regards to your progression.

As for your question on shedding, I think I was one of a small percentage that didn't really appear to shed any hairs, I don't really know the reason behind this but others have remarked that it may well explain why my growth was quicker than most. I would say that over 90% of patients' stories have indicated shedding therefore I wouldn't read too much into this process being an indicator of the final result, that's my opinion anyway.

I probably started thinning in my early to mid thirties and it took about 10 years to get to the pre op pic stage. At your age I had a great mop of hair much like yourself apart from the regions affected by Sikh Alopecia, I fully understand what you went through there as well, having been there many a year ago up to the age of 11. I do see a lot of similarities so hopefully once you have grown your transplanted hair out you will be OK for another 10 years or so.

You may also want to consider going on the meds (Fin/Minoxodil) for longer than the suggested 6 months if you want to delay any future loss. Personally, I would do the 6 months and just monitor future loss initially, there may well be none so no need for any more meds for the time being.

Edited by Shera

Yeah I've been taking fin for a while now and still continue to take it. Also going to start taking 10 mg biotin a day once that arrives.

What's your opinion on castor oil as a topical?

I'm just hoping my ht pulls through as I'm most probably going to get married in September this year.

When you washed your hair and rubbed the area during the crust phase did some hair drop off with the crust attached?

Hi CSB,

Yes, castor oil, now there's a blast from the past. My parents had way too many medicinal uses for it, yuk! Never really given it a thought since to be honest, just googled it and it seems that my parents obsession with it was somewhat justified. Probably worth giving it a go as opposed to your standard baby oil, can't see it doing any harm and may just do some good.

Hopefully by September you will have had some good growth and enough to get away without being noticed. There's always a plan B at the wedding, you can always just keep your head covered. The best of luck for your big day, I hope it all goes as well as could be.

I do remember just a few hairs coming off with the crusts but this is quite normal and nothing to worry about, the grafts are firmly embedded by now and will in time start producing the new hairs.

Edited by Shera

Thank you for sharing, I usually read without posting but your post caught my attention as I am looking into a non-shave procedure with Dr Bhatti also.

He mentioned that my hairline would be the priority.

I'm surprised at the extent of shaving done at the donor side, kind of defeats the idea of disguising the procedure.

Hope to see more updates from you and wish you a speedy recovery.

Thank you for sharing, I usually read without posting but your post caught my attention as I am looking into a non-shave procedure with Dr Bhatti also.

He mentioned that my hairline would be the priority.

I'm surprised at the extent of shaving done at the donor side, kind of defeats the idea of disguising the procedure.

Hope to see more updates from you and wish you a speedy recovery.

Hi plotholes,

Here is a link to a YouTube video of Dr. Bhatti's no-shave technique. As you can see, the donor area is covered pretty well.

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hi plotholes,

Here is a link to a YouTube video of Dr. Bhatti's no-shave technique. As you can see, the donor area is covered pretty well.

Best regards,

California

Thanks for the video, I've also seen some pictures from his website, which was why I expressed surprise that CSB's donor area were shaved in what I felt was a rather unacceptable manner.

Thanks for the video, I've also seen some pictures from his website, which was why I expressed surprise that CSB's donor area were shaved in what I felt was a rather unacceptable manner.

Yeah I was surprised as well. My hair was not short so I thought he would leave the bottom part as he did in the video. But what's done is done.

I went to the barber on Monday to tidy up my hair in an effort to look more presentable for work. He tried to blend the back in as much as possible but it looks like I have a mushroom haircut. Couldn't really do a crew cut as my temples are hairless.

Here is a pic I just took now. Donor area is pretty much healed.

20160330_180615-1.jpg

Many op to buzz their hair short, so that it looks even for at-least four months! If you can conceal it well with your long hair then its good. Because soon you will enter Ugly duckling phase where you gonna look much bad or possibly worst than pre op.

So be prepared

I really do not appreciate if the Doctor and the clinic "RUSH" , its a Hair Transplant and it can make or break a guy's confidence and Life , its ok if a clinic charges a Premium over other clinics , BUT charging a Premium and above that restoring to a Conveyor belt like treatment leaves a bad taste .

I also had the dilemma of trying to hide mine with longer hair or buzz it all around... it sucks waiting for the whole head of hair to grow out, but it will look more even .. If you are one of the lucky ones where the redness fades pretty early, no one will really notice you did anything, unless you are self conscious of the receded hairline.. Either way you will have to live with a funky mushroom cut or a buzz cut for a few months.. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Either way you will have to live with a funky mushroom cut or a buzz cut for a few months.. :)

Spidey,

Do you know where I might find some pics of people who opted to go with the funky mushroom cut after their fue surgery?