I went to Dr. Diep of the MHTA Clinic in Los Gatos, CA. He had good reviews and seem to be a successful surgeon. I regretted it immediately after. I haven't worn my real hair out in 2 years, which is a horrible way to live because of a someone's mistake.

1. He focused on putting grafts where I had hair already, leaving me with a small amount for the hairline which is so transparent and doesn't cover the bumpy scars he left from leaving too much skin on the base of each graft.

2. Where he drew a line on my forehead to show where my new hairline would be looked nothing like what I walked out of there with. It is a scam. He asks before surgery that if he feels you need extra grafts will you be willing to pay and of course I choose yes because I want it to be perfect. He didn't even accomplish what he promised me so Im afraid to say I may have paid an additional $1000 for imaginary grafts.

3. I was told my head would not be shaved bald. They shaved my hairline so far back that I was not able to go out in public without looking completely crazy. And when I asked what they expected me to do to go to work, their answer was that I wear a weave, because I was advised not to wear a wig which makes no sense at all because how could I possibly put a weave on scalp?

4. They carelessly shaved into my hair and cut some length from other sections of my head because they did not comb or section apart my hair they just shaved all kinds of different directions. Here's the funny part they picked my hair up off the floor and braided it into hair that was still connected and put a rubberband around it so I wouldn't know what they had done. So after surgery I'm sore and in very much pain and needed to keep my hair braided so it would stay out of my wounds so maybe two weekend later when I take out the braids I realized just how much hair they had cut by "accident".

5. I had a question recently. I have these goosebumps in my hairline that are very noticable and I googled that it is a mistake on the surgeons part so I called with my question I was told I would be called back I never was. I had to call again and of course they'll blame there mistakes on your body and how their mistake is your bodies reaction and it's common among whatever race you are that this happens......really?

6. Lastly Dr. diep does not do his surgeries his technicians do and they are careless, probably don't really care about how successful surgeries are. Multiple different technicians do your surgery and it is noticable in the end result, because some do better than others and you will end up looking rather inconsistent, when I saw his before and after pics I thought they were great look very closely for imperfections they are easier to notice when they are on your own hairline.

7. It has been seven months and the front of my hair looks very see through. Dr. Diep likes to cover his screw ups by saying you may need more than one surgery for more density which makes him more money. Also his favorite is, is that he likes to create a hairline that isn't perfect and not too dense because it will look fake but in reality it is to cover up any mistakes or incompetence of his office. Now my hairline is shaped round on the left and square on the right.

8.DO NOT GO TO DR DIEP ONCE HE HAS YOUR MONEY HE NO LONGER CARES ABOUT YOU I COULD NOT EVEN TALK TO HIM ABOUT MY INQUIRIES AFTER MY SURGERY. I am no longer a priority as his patient, he has all the time in the world for you before your surgery he even talks to you for your consultation but after that your history.

9. I just pray whatever happens that my result are decent and don't require any corrective surgeries just to look semi-normal. I worry quite often after having this surgery. I just wanted people to know my experience.

10. Once during surgery my meds wore off because your not given anesthesia your given a cocktail of drugs in a cup. They acted as if they didn't want to sedate me again. After i paid $12,000 plus $1000 do supposedly extra grafts that I can't tell exist because my hair looks thin and he didn't even reach the marker line he drew, anyways after I pay that much you can't sedate me again so I won't feel your staff stab me repeatedly with a needle into my head!!!!! Beware people!

• Administrators

Sorry to hear about your situation, I read your review on real self before I had my surgery but you didn't post any pictures, do you mind providing some pictures?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

s1988,

Welcome to our community. I see that others are already familiar with your case. This is the first I'm hearing about your experience. As you may know, Dr. Diep is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network and has maintained a stellar reputation not only for his skill in hair transplantation but also for his excellent patient care.

You are welcome to discuss your case here but I'm confused about a couple of things. The title of your thread says that the transplant took place in 2014 yet point #7 says that it's been 7 months since your surgery and in point #9 you state that you hope your results turn out. Can you please tell us the exact date of your procedure?

While even the very best hair transplant surgeons in the world will have some subpar results in their portfolio, the accusations made in your post are egregious and I've never heard any similar reports regarding Dr. Diep and his staff.

I am reaching out to Dr. Diep for his input on your case and will encourage him to contact you privately and also to respond publicly to this thread. You must agree to allow Dr. Diep to address your concerns here. I also encourage you to provide photos to support your statements.

Whatever the issues, I do hope that you are able to find the happy ending you want and deserve.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

this is the exact opposite of my experience with dr. diep. I would like to see pics also. It sounds like the o/p did go to diep because of the some of the details. I always get scared reading these, I'm three weeks post op and really hoping my results are good.

We attempted to match this description with the patients in our system and were unsuccessful in locating the patient based off of this information. The charts and surgery dates did not match with the description listed above.

If s1988 is my patient then I would like to request for you to please reach out to my clinic at (408) 356-8600 or hairdr@mhtaclinic.com. It would be the best if we could connect to thoroughly address your concerns and reach a solution to this situation.

Dr. John Diep is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Since it has been 2 years since your surgery, I would really like to see pics as well. I am planning on traveling from the East Coast (Boston) to Los Gatos to have my HT and he assured me that he would be personally performing my HT. This post is very disturbing as I have been reading and following a few people of YouTube who have had good results. Especially African American Females, which I am.

Dr. Diep,

Thank you for publicly reaching out to this patient. I understand that you are currently unable to identify this patient and, therefore, cannot address the specifics of the case, But, can you speak to some of the more outrageous claims made by this member regarding general practices and patient care?

You have many satisfied patients among our forum members but hearing it directly from you will go a long way with the members of our community.

To the community:

This forum is all about providing a platform for legitimate patients to share their true hair transplant experiences, good or bad. We pride ourselves on being patient advocates first and foremost. However, we also strive to keep these discussions fair to both the patient and the physician.

When making accusations against a clinic, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some documentation to back up those claims. It's also imperative that the physician be given the information and permission necessary to identify the patient and discuss the case publicly, with the understanding that the patient's identity remains private.

I had some initial questions about the details of s1988's statements and the OP has not yet responded. In fact, she has not logged back into the forum since starting this thread. Furthermore, it's been brought to my attention that this is essentially a copy/paste of a post made on the website realself on April 7, 2015 with no updates as to the outcome of the procedure.

Again, we want to make every effort to address legitimate concerns from real patients but we won't be host to drive-by character assignations. Thus, I once again urge s1988 to respond to my questions, provide documentation and also to contact Dr. Diep immediately to identify herself and provide him with the necessary details he needs to make a public response to these accusations. If that doesn't happen we'll be forced to archive this discussion from public view.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

s1988,

While all patients are welcome and encouraged to share their genuine experiences good or bad whether the physicians is recommended by this community or not, we aim to keep this community balanced and fair for both patients and physicians. Thus, at times, patients may need to identify themselves to their physicians (or a forum moderator) so that their physician can adequately reply to a patient's comments/concerns. Please see "Maintaining a Fair and Safe Environment on our Forum for Both Patients and Physicians" for our fair forum policies.

Dr. Diep is having trouble identifying you. Thus, I ask that you contact the clinic or send me a private message with your full name, full date of surgery with a statement of permission that Dr. Diep may respond in detail to your concerns. If you choose not to do this, we may have to archive this topic out of public view since you are preventing us from being able to run a fair and safe forum for all.

I await your response.

Best wishes,

Bill

P.S. I've also sent you a private message with the same message to ensure you are receiving this request.

Everything the original poster said it's completely true for me. the only thing he didn't mention was that my hairs that did grow came out very coily and stick out every which way. Dr Diep says that when you go to other HT doctors. they don't care about the way they put your hair in so it grows all kinds of crazy ways and it doesn't flow. But that's exactly what Dr diep did. all the hairs are going in different directions plus there is minimal growth. His technicians do all the work and he doesn't really do much. He may be an expert but I doubt all his technicians are from seeing my results. I guess they damage the hair follicles when they implanted or whatever they do. The bottom line is how my supposed to wear my hair out like this. The growth and density is not even that good but let's forget about that for now and just look at the quality of the hairs that actually grew. These hairs are always coily. He talks about hair transplant is artistry on the hairline. Well check out this pic of my hairline. He he told me before the procedure I can't get mad at him if it doesn't come out the way I want. I understand he's not God. But I do regret going to him and wish I spent a little more time researching. I have two hair transplants from him and both were horrible. I went in to question him about the bad growth on my first transplant. Then he convinced me to get a second one because sometimes people need more than one he said.which I can understand. But both were horrible experiences and I wish I didn't do it with him. When you pay for a hair transplant with him you're actually paying for his technicians to do the hair transplant for him. so you're not getting his skill you're getting their skills. And they all look like young girls. So yes in the YouTube videos he does seem like an expert but he's not the one that actually performing the surgery on your head it's the little young girls who do. They are damaging the hair follicles. If I were to go and question him a second time about this. I doubt he will make me feel at ease about the situation. Whether you believe the original poster or not. I know myself he's telling the truth because everything he described is exactly on point to how my situation is. I too cannot leave the house without wearing a hat. Big mistake. Please do more research. It's easy to watch all of his YouTube videos and think wow these are great results. That's exactly the reason why I chose him to do my HT. I don't know how to explain those videos. But what I do know is the facts about my horrible results. I read on one of these other posts that's the hair restoration Network backs him up as one of the doctors that they recommend. That does not mean you are going to have a good experience with him. I recommend you do not archive the original poster because that would defeat the whole purpose of a site like this that is supposed to be honest and help people find out real info about doctors. If you take away his post I'm going to think that this website is bought and sold by the doctors and it's not a legitimate forum. People need to read reviews like this.

20150801_183652.thumb.jpg.efa775606abfda33592a18a9ed2a7b8b.jpg

bigwilly1234, That hairline does not look right. So sorry for your pain. Yea when the techs do the job there is no telling what can happen. Its a bad trend in the industry.

No doctor is perfect and all have some home runs and some bad days but if people are getting bad results like yours from a doctor it is important that it is known so others can avoid him or the doctor can get his stuff together and get back on track. New techs? better quality control?

wow this is really upsetting to me. I wish I would have read this a month ago. I am almost 30 days post op with dr. diep. fml. I kinda have the same hair texture and quality like big willy and now I am really depressed. I saw dr. Diep one day post op and he said that I was going to have a "good Result" and "its going to be a good result".

I feel for all your guys pain and I hope we get the results we all want. I saw a few killer results from Diep like ht soon, MOdthis and x-chris so I thought I'd be ok. now I'm :(

my opinion is that Dr's that are on this site should be mandated to put up all their results. These guys are booked months in advance and yet I only see a handful of transplant results. There should be hundreds of cases from each dr so we potential clients can better evaluate.

my opinion is that Dr's that are on this site should be mandated to put up all their results. These guys are booked months in advance and yet I only see a handful of transplant results. There should be hundreds of cases from each dr so we potential clients can better evaluate.

Even if patients do not consent to that? I think there are a lot of patients who would not consent to having their pictures, even with faces blacked out, plastered on the Internet.

Even if patients do not consent to that? I think there are a lot of patients who would not consent to having their pictures, even with faces blacked out, plastered on the Internet.

I'm all for patient privacy but there has to be a way to protect the client and still post results. I don't want my face plastered online but I wouldn't mind it if my face was totally blocked from sight.

• Administrators
wow this is really upsetting to me. I wish I would have read this a month ago. I am almost 30 days post op with dr. diep. fml. I kinda have the same hair texture and quality like big willy and now I am really depressed. I saw dr. Diep one day post op and he said that I was going to have a "good Result" and "its going to be a good result".

I feel for all your guys pain and I hope we get the results we all want. I saw a few killer results from Diep like ht soon, MOdthis and x-chris so I thought I'd be ok. now I'm :(

Matt there is absolutely no reason you should feel bad or worry if you're only one month post op. I do empathize with Bigwilly, I hope Dr. Diep will make things right with him, I would encourage him to make his own thread so David could reach out to Dr. Diep for his input on what happened with his case. If you dig deep enough you will find poor results from any doctor.

While I feel that Dr. Diep's post op care and overall bedside manner could use improvement. I really do feel that overall he's a consistent doctor that gets good results. When I compare his work to my first surgeons work its like day and night, not saying that my first surgeon was bad but the work is no where near as refined and good as Dr. Diep's. Try not to worry too much especially so soon after your procedure. I recommend you document your journey on here like I did, if for any reason you're not satisfied at 12 months I would imagine and hope that Dr. Diep would do everything possible to make you happy. I will say this I've seen more good results from Dr. Diep than bad results. I can only think of two people so far that i've seen photos of with bad results, Bigwilly and hair1978, aside from that m0dthispny, myself, Orwell, Xtian230k,jkm3,unit40186 have good results. Don't be discouraged man be hopeful I am sure you will have a good result.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I saw dr. Diep one day post op and he said that I was going to have a "good Result" and "its going to be a good result"

That tells me Dr. Diep is a BS artist because no doctor can predict who's gonna have a good result and who isnt.

Unless he's psychic

That tells me Dr. Diep is a BS artist because no doctor can predict who's gonna have a good result and who isnt.

Unless he's psychic

Let's be real, it's customary to be positive and encouraging throughout the ordeal. I remember Dr. Hasson telling me that not another doctor could pack the grafts in any tighter and that what's been done will fix me up no problem.

@ matt1164 - Just be optimistic. What's done is done and there's no going back now. Also, theres a guy participating int his thread that had a great result from Dr. Diep. Usually its the people with complaints that will make themselves loud and clear.

• 4 weeks later...
Matt there is absolutely no reason you should feel bad or worry if you're only one month post op. I do empathize with Bigwilly, I hope Dr. Diep will make things right with him, I would encourage him to make his own thread so David could reach out to Dr. Diep for his input on what happened with his case. If you dig deep enough you will find poor results from any doctor.

While I feel that Dr. Diep's post op care and overall bedside manner could use improvement. I really do feel that overall he's a consistent doctor that gets good results. When I compare his work to my first surgeons work its like day and night, not saying that my first surgeon was bad but the work is no where near as refined and good as Dr. Diep's. Try not to worry too much especially so soon after your procedure. I recommend you document your journey on here like I did, if for any reason you're not satisfied at 12 months I would imagine and hope that Dr. Diep would do everything possible to make you happy. I will say this I've seen more good results from Dr. Diep than bad results. I can only think of two people so far that i've seen photos of with bad results, Bigwilly and hair1978, aside from that m0dthispny, myself, Orwell, Xtian230k,jkm3,unit40186 have good results. Don't be discouraged man be hopeful I am sure you will have a good result.

HTSoon, I was curious to read in a different thread that, while you are very happy with your results, that you would not go to Dr. Diep for future procedures. I think your results are great and to me Diep seems to produce the best FUE results around. Is there a particular reason why you wouldn't use him again? Are there any other FUE specialists in North America you would recommend?

• Administrators
HTSoon, I was curious to read in a different thread that, while you are very happy with your results, that you would not go to Dr. Diep for future procedures. I think your results are great and to me Diep seems to produce the best FUE results around. Is there a particular reason why you wouldn't use him again? Are there any other FUE specialists in North America you would recommend?

Initially I had some criticisms, mainly on the post op care, it was a misunderstanding. After speaking with Dr. Diep I do feel that he's taken these issues to heart. I agree personally I think he's one of the best at FUE period, if I have a third procedure I'll probably go to him. After consulting with Dr. Gabel another top notch doc he did tell me Dr. Dieps work was really good and I should consult with him again. Both Dr. Diep and Dr. Gabel perform the extractions themselves so that's a big plus for me you can't go wrong with either.

View my thread

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...