4424 grafts FUT dr.Hasson Feb24, 2016

n00b

Hi all,

I am a 25 year old norwood 5 diffuse thinner. I've been loosing hair for the past 10 years. Though my hairline has been relatively same for the past 10 years, I've lost a lot on the top. I consulted with Dr.Hasson about a month ago. He suggested to increase the density by 3000 grafts and leave the hairline untouched.

I had below average laxity. On shaving the donor area, Dr.Hasson found that the density of grafts in a particular region was way higher than the rest. The doctor thought that the particular region was average density while the rest were below average. But it turned out that the region had above average density while the rest had average density. Thus 4424 grafts were harvested while targeting 3000 grafts.

Here is my grafts breakdown:

1559 single hair grafts

2608 double

257 3-4 hair grafts

I've attached the preop and graft placement pics...

Please share your thoughts

DSCF7242.thumb.jpg.83a737cb48f88d1df6692870e9c87603.jpg

DSCF7246.thumb.jpg.75d57de9874098fa83a123bfa18fa1d4.jpg

DSCF7248.thumb.jpg.012d435413227df40a4727430e21ac51.jpg

DSCF7251.thumb.jpg.6cda7fc97f154fb927eefd5ae2bb6042.jpg

DSCF7256.thumb.jpg.dfbf0affb98334de9fe605bbc0aa80e4.jpg

DSCF7260.thumb.jpg.e86fc7c8cf391e8418361e33b48e3b16.jpg

DSCF7262.thumb.jpg.34e6949d2f74ad6fcac33026fb8c78ec.jpg

DSCF7265.thumb.jpg.1b507e59c1f702d66ecbfe191885c50a.jpg

DSCF7658.thumb.jpg.d7442a3c0f85491ceb786824c5497c55.jpg

DSCF7659.thumb.jpg.48a19150e0432177260b79eafbd5b987.jpg

DSCF7660.thumb.jpg.48b2b4cef08ac69dec056ec597b2508d.jpg

Here are the pics of the recipient and the scar on day 9.

I don't like that the scar is so long that it is almost into the temple area. I wish Dr.Hasson restricted the cut behind my ears even though it would have give less grafts.

IMG_20160303_112039.thumb.jpg.a381ed2c8d25d3cd0163cbf31b8ad64d.jpg

IMG_20160303_112056.thumb.jpg.a5c9b433bd69eb79e012d4abadf6a3d9.jpg

IMG_20160303_221952.thumb.jpg.df1bc0a627f03ef88bdb38bf30772e2d.jpg

IMG_20160303_234528.thumb.jpg.5640d3615e26d66027bb329a2b07122a.jpg

IMG_20160303_234735.thumb.jpg.2680e83fe48b5f1b9b1a273ad614c5fb.jpg

IMG_20160303_235130.thumb.jpg.bc73e0274ee943101b2df246ec9effb0.jpg

IMG_20160303_235139.thumb.jpg.4d70b55d85c4f1cf01deffaf5b2ad933.jpg

IMG_20160304_000244.thumb.jpg.1c128853ef3bddbfad97e8d54523ec83.jpg

IMG_20160304_000444.thumb.jpg.814639639795894ed486bb71417f4cf3.jpg

First I want to say Hasson and Wong are elite doctors. They produce some of the best results there are. However I have also pointed out that I do not like how far up they take the strips. I was attacked for this and I do understand why you are concerned. But you should get a really decent result from this procedure by the way it looks.

But it turned out that the region had above average density while the rest had average density. Thus 4424 grafts were harvested while targeting 3000 grafts.

Here is my grafts breakdown:

1559 single hair grafts

2608 double

257 3-4 hair grafts

Please share your thoughts

Your average was 1.73 hairs per graft. Still think that is low density for hairs at least. Not sure when you heard "low" or "average" density they are speaking to you FUs per sq cm on your scalp or actual hairs. If hairs the ave I see here is about 1.9-2.2 so you came in a bit below the bottom end of that range.

So reverse engineering that and saying you were an average guy who gets 2 hairs per graft your equivalent on 7675 hairs would be 3837 grafts. So in plain english with your hair density you had to get about 600 more grafts to generate the same hairs as "John Doe".

As for the scar yeah man I had a bit of the same reaction in that it sort of shocks you at first how far forward it goes. I think mine might not be quite so "high" up the scalp as yours on the sides but the "end to end" scar is a bit jarring when you first look at it!

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

@thisguy1, I believe that by low/average density the doctor was referring to the number of FU per sq. cm. Thanks for pointing out that my average hairs per graft is below average. I didn't realize it until you pointed it out. Need to be careful with the grafts in the future.

@ifanyonecan, No, i did not ask the doctor to extract as many grafts as possible. The target was 3000 grafts. I am worried that the extra ~1500 grafts might put a dent in future transplants if necessary.

@JON86, thank you for sharing your thoughts...

Your average was 1.73 hairs per graft. Still think that is low density for hairs at least. Not sure when you heard "low" or "average" density they are speaking to you FUs per sq cm on your scalp or actual hairs. If hairs the ave I see here is about 1.9-2.2 so you came in a bit below the bottom end of that range.

Actually, this is an interesting matter. When I was extensively researching H&W, I calculated the average hairs per graft for all the results posted by David, and noticed that 1.7 to 1.8 hairs per graft seems to be the average for the results I took into account, which was low when compared with the hairs per graft for other clinics which were closer to 2 - 2.10. Not sure if its the manner in which the strips are taken which result in more singles or not, but I did find it very interesting. Therefore I wouldn't worry too much about that being low density. Sounds about average for this clinic.

Looks like this is going to be another home run from the bad man Dr Hasson.

Edited by mav23100gunther

Actually, this is an interesting matter. When I was extensively researching H&W, I calculated the average hairs per graft for all the results posted by David, and noticed that 1.7 to 1.8 hairs per graft seems to be the average for the results I took into account, which was low when compared with the hairs per graft for other clinics which were closer to 2 - 2.10. Not sure if its the manner in which the strips are taken which result in more singles or not, but I did find it very interesting. Therefore I wouldn't worry too much about that being low density. Sounds about average for this clinic.

Looks like this is going to be another home run from the bad man Dr Hasson.

You also cannot compare every surgery as its not apples to apples. A massive FUT case of 4000 grafts you can compare to another similar case. If someone is going in for 1800 grafts to rebuild a hairline they will get a lower # because that doctor is looking for single grafts to build a soft hairline. So it's not an apt comparison if your goals are different. Granted with strip you are more at the mercy of nature.

You can also be more picky with FUE - I often see 2.6 to 2.7 in FUE because doctors can pick and choose the exact grafts they want.

Also with this OP he has hair loss more like a female than a male on the top of his head, so he does not have a typical male pattern - his hair loss is on top and sort of narrow down the middle - even 4K in that area is going to make a huge difference. The crown is obviously typical of a guy.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

I've seen several H&W cases with unbelievable graft counts and they all seem to have the same high strip from above the ear (temple) to above the ear (temple) - seems a bit extreme to me especially if you recede beyond that point, the graft counts tend to be high in all these case but I too wonder how safe it is to extract grafts beyond the safe zone?

• 2 weeks later...

Its been about 3 weeks since the surgery and i am experiencing lot of hair fall in the donor region. I think it is donor shock loss. Any ideas when I can expect the donor hair fall to stop? Also when can I expect the hair lost to shock loss to recover?

N00b,

Sorry to hear this but as Spidey says shock loss around the donor area is quite common and you may loose more hair up to the 1 month post op stage. It can take 4-6 months to fully recover.

If you have concerns you can contact me on david@hassonandwong.com

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Thanks for the info Spidey & Garageland. I didn't know it would take 4-6 months to fully recover. I guess i'll have to wait and see how my donor area recovers. I'll post frequent updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my 1 month update. I think all transplanted hairs have shed. I can't say for certain as the transplanted hairs are placed in a diffused manner and I can't distinguish between my native and transplanted hairs.

1) What do u think of the pics?

2) I am still losing hairs in the donor region. Should be shock loss. Is it normal to still lose hair at 1 month post op?

3) When can i expect shock loss to cease?

top.thumb.jpg.40c0202810801e5984b650ee5bb184de.jpg

scar1.thumb.jpg.ff295499f86f3e794180c069fd10367a.jpg

scar2.thumb.jpg.73a93b1f25bb02b4272d86a02df60193.jpg

You shouldn't experience much shock-out after a month but don't worry, that hair will begin growing with its normal cycle in 4-5 month after the dormant stage ends. Just continue to be patient. Take a look at my pictures after 30 days and beyond. I've chronicled my entire 3 year experience at MyFUEhairtransplant.com You will see lots of pictures and expectations. Thanks for sharing on this website which is an excellent resource for dialogue like this. Best of luck.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Guys, I am freaking out right now whether I might get a keloid scar. Though I have no solid reason to believe that I might get one, googling the internet about scars have made me panic. I was not properly informed about the risks of the scars, especially keloid ones, by the clinic. If I had knew about it, i was have never ventured in a strip surgery.

Guys, please help me... Am about to have a panic attack

What do you expect any of us to say? . For one you need to stop browsing the net for worst case scenario. Keloid scars can happen even with fue. If you're gonna get one you're gonna get one. People get it from getting their ears pierced too. Just relax, especially since like you said, you have no reason to believe you are gonna get one. You're pretty late in the healing anyways.

Hi Spidey,

You are right. I need to stop searching the net. I just wish I was informed about the worst case scenarios too by the clinic even though they are very rare.

You mentioned "You're pretty late in the healing anyways". I am confused what you are trying to communicate here. Can you please elaborate?

I wouldn't be concerned, keloid scars are uncommon, although there is a small risk. It's usually due to the persons individual healing / scar forming abilities. Stop thinking about it and focus on the fact you went to one of the best strip surgeons in the world.

I've chronicled my entire 3 year experience at MyFUEhairtransplant.com

Unbelievable results. You look like a completely different person.

And who's the award winning poodle next to you??

Noob,

I am sorry that you are suffering from some shock loss and that it is continuing but it can continue to get worse before it gets much better. That should however stop very soon, normally by 1 month on occasions up to 6 weeks before it stops. The scar looks to have healed well and I see no issues that it might be keloid. Try not to panic as that will not help, easier said than done of course but it will grow back over the coming months and take 6 months maybe a little longer before it comes back.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson