Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I am a diffuse norwood 5 thinner and am considering transplants. I have two questions:

1) Does shock loss happen in the recipient area? Is it worse for diffuse thinners?

2) What is the possibility of a failed hair transplant? For instance, if I pick a top doctor like Dr Hasson from H&W (not to offend anyone), what is the possibility of a transplant failure? Has anyone experienced such failure from top surgeons?

Can someone please educate me?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I am a diffuse norwood 5 thinner and am considering transplants. I have two questions:

1) Does shock loss happen in the recipient area? Is it worse for diffuse thinners?

2) What is the possibility of a failed hair transplant? For instance, if I pick a top doctor like Dr Hasson from H&W (not to offend anyone), what is the possibility of a transplant failure? Has anyone experienced such failure from top surgeons?

Can someone please educate me?

Thanks in advance!

1. Sometimes. Yes, more likely with diffuse because you are creating trauma right next to existing hairs and those hairs are not strong to begin with and might be on the way out.

Also should note there are 2 types of shock loss = temporary and permanent

2. Anything is possible. Likely? No. And "failed" doesn't mean it doesn't work it just means low yield. H&W is probably one of the least likely to fail (I know you picked a random clinic) due to emphasis on FUT which takes a lot more work to "Fail" at than FUE nowadays.

You do see some cases of bad yield on here from almost every surgeon except for maybe 1-2 guys at this point. But how common is up for debate and generally low with the top guys.

My feeling is you go to top guys for that very reason. I think most clinics can get a great result but the % chance of great result drops when you leave the top clinics. Also the probability of bad result increases. So the top clinics have the lowest variance between bad and good IMO. So that's what you pay for. But I've seen some great results even from cheapo tech only places in Turkey - but how often that happens who knows. You take more risk with less known peeps.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

I asked the Seager clinic in Toronto this same question, and he said in 10 years he worked there he has yet to see someone who didnt grow any hair at all.

That to me was reasonably reassuring

Thanks a lot thisguy1 & Dutchie!

This is the first time i am hearing about permanent shock loss. Is there any ideas/advice/dos/donts on reducing permanent shock loss?

Hasson & Wong claim a 5% shock loss risk. And of that 5% I'd say probably less than 1% is permanent. So you're looking at a .05% chance of permanent shock loss.

In other words, its extremely rare. I wouldnt worry about it

Thanks a lot thisguy1 & Dutchie!

This is the first time i am hearing about permanent shock loss. Is there any ideas/advice/dos/donts on reducing permanent shock loss?

Probably better answered by a doctor but from what I read it's really luck (or unluck) of the draw and a body chemistry thing. Aside from placing grafts far too close to other grafts I am not sure there is any specific "why" on why it happens. But I've seen plenty of dense packing cases here where it doesnt happen. Then I have seen other people who get it even near their donor area! So no rhyme or reason to it IMO. It's a risk factor but not common.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

Permanent shock loss usually is related to how diffused the existing hair is and also how the individual responds to the level of trauma.

This is why it's best IMHO for diffused thinners to approach their restoration in smaller sessions to reduce the level of trauma. The larger the procedure, the higher level of trauma.

And yes to some degree the skill of the surgeon in as much as the selection of which type of recipient incisions (sagittal, coronal) to use and the instrumentation to make them.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY