Absolutely Devastated with my hairloss

Over 10years ago I used it for about 1 year I used to get it from a hair loss clinic in London for ?50 1 month supply but at least I knew it was the proper stuff.

After taking it I used to get a strange feeling in the throat like hair growing !

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there evidence behind this? That generic doesn't work as well as original?

Also I am in the United States so aren't drugs legitimate here?

I got these because these are actually covered by insurance according to my pharmacy whereas the others are not.

Do you know of any legitimate places where I can buy the original ones?

Sorry about the many questions

No evidence, just going by the countless of user reviews on forums like this.

Could they all be lying, I suppose they could, but I rather go by their accounts than some internet news article or blog (which is probably financed by Big Pharma anyways).

Remember bro, the whole world revolves around money

No evidence, just going by the countless of user reviews on forums like this.

Could they all be lying, I suppose they could, but I rather go by their accounts than some internet news article or blog (which is probably financed by Big Pharma anyways).

Remember bro, the whole world revolves around money

So is it as easy as asking for original version?

Can I get it online for cheap?

No harm in trying out branded prescription version for few months, if ur still loosing and receding then that will be a different story.

I do see some temple recession compared to last year. But I would advise you against HT at this time. small or large session. You are telling us that your father is still receding both in his crown and frontally at age 50!. I would say no HT now because someone in trying to create aggressive hairline for you might just use up enough grafts at this time to leave you with thinned out donor when u actually start balding in crown and behind your transplanted hairline in future.

My Thread: 

So is it as easy as asking for original version?

Can I get it online for cheap?

It is worth reading this entire thread - not to scare you but to show you that there is downside risk esp for guys still with most of their hair. He is younger than you with similar small loss, and just went in for a small FUE surgery with one of the best clinics in North America and if you ask him today I am sure he would say he wish he had not done it.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/181838-fue-rahal-1431-a.html

Surely there are many people who do small HT and leave happy but when you have a ton of hair and one small spot to address your risk/reward ratio also tilts a bit.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

It is worth reading this entire thread - not to scare you but to show you that there is downside risk esp for guys still with most of their hair. He is younger than you with similar small loss, and just went in for a small FUE surgery with one of the best clinics in North America and if you ask him today I am sure he would say he wish he had not done it.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/181838-fue-rahal-1431-a.html

Surely there are many people who do small HT and leave happy but when you have a ton of hair and one small spot to address your risk/reward ratio also tilts a bit.

Thank you for this. I will look into it.

In regards to propecia I am now freaking out.

My issue is that if generic and brand are the same, then I dont want to be paying 50-70 dollars a month if I dont have to. Right now, insurance covers generic at 2 dollars per month. The reason it covers it is because there is a loophole that allows me to get it because finestaride is also used for prostate cancer or something like that.

So theres a huge spike in difference that I dont want to pay if they are just as effective.

However, Dutchie freaked me out and now its in the back of my mind that maybe thats the reason I have been balding since its not working properly.

Also, I havent been completely honest with you guys.

I do miss taking a pill from time to time. Sometimes ill go two or three days without it, and sometimes ill forget to take it even for a week or two. You might ask why, and the reason is because lately i had been allowing my hair to grow so it didnt look as bad until I got my haircut.

So in conclusion, should I fork out the extra 50-70 dollars a month or should i stick with generics?

I really feel for your situation here man, with the negative feedback from clinics regarding proceeding with surgery.

I think the best option is to try meds/minoxidil and hope to get some progress without sides, before looking into some form of HT option if there is a reputable clinic offering a genuine plan.

I'm sure you're devastated that there doesn't appear to be a surgical option at present.

Good luck.

I really feel for your situation here man, with the negative feedback from clinics regarding proceeding with surgery.

I think the best option is to try meds/minoxidil and hope to get some progress without sides, before looking into some form of HT option if there is a reputable clinic offering a genuine plan.

I'm sure you're devastated that there doesn't appear to be a surgical option at present.

Good luck.

Thank you

Do you think that I should stick to generic propecia or actually go for the name brand?

Is there a reputable clinic that will do atleast a minor FUE transplant?

I'm going to say what I'm sure lot of people on here are thinking you have to sort out this hair-loss obsession man, I'm afraid obsession is the right word, you will look back when you are 40-50 and think what the hell was that all about ,you have great hair for a 28 you're wasting the best years of your life worrying about your hair ,if you need a transplant in 10 years or so cool but you don't need one now and it would probably do more harm than good, don't wanna be harsh here but someones got to say it.

I'm going to say what I'm sure lot of people on here are thinking you have to sort out this hair-loss obsession man, I'm afraid obsession is the right word, you will look back when you are 40-50 and think what the hell was that all about ,you have great hair for a 28 you're wasting the best years of your life worrying about your hair ,if you need a transplant in 10 years or so cool but you don't need one now and it would probably do more harm than good, don't wanna be harsh here but someones got to say it.

Just to play Devils advocate there are some people on here that are saying that I'm losing ground fast. I think it's a matter of perspective maybe? Where some people that are worse than me say I have good hair and people that are better than me are saying I'm definitely losing it?

I think the general consensus is for the time being you're hair is good with possibly very mild recession at the temples which noone is going to notice apart form you, look I'm aware of the psychological impact of losing one's hair and how insidious it can be ,all I'm saying in my opinion and lots of people on here you're not a candidate for a transplant at the moment, but of course it's your choice

Stick to propecia daily. No real excuse for not doing so if it's not giving you sides. Just get into the routine of taking it first thing in the morning or last thing at night (or whenever suits, naturally). I would leave it to a medical professional to categorically state that it was the case, but in my opinion if you're slacking off significantly with your regimen that could well be a reason for the drug's apparent ineffectiveness.

Best of luck to you. :)

I think the general consensus is for the time being you're hair is good with possibly very mild recession at the temples which noone is going to notice apart form you, look I'm aware of the psychological impact of losing one's hair and how insidious it can be ,all I'm saying in my opinion and lots of people on here you're not a candidate for a transplant at the moment, but of course it's your choice

Stick to propecia daily. No real excuse for not doing so if it's not giving you sides. Just get into the routine of taking it first thing in the morning or last thing at night (or whenever suits, naturally). I would leave it to a medical professional to categorically state that it was the case, but in my opinion if you're slacking off significantly with your regimen that could well be a reason for the drug's apparent ineffectiveness.

Best of luck to you. :)

What about the generic vs brand Propecia debate? What do you guys think about that?

I have been using generic finasteride for a year now and have had good results as far as I can tell (http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182496-12-months-finasteride.html). I don't claim to know categorically that there is no difference. That said, I don't buy into the sentiment that brand name propecia is somehow "better". Here in the UK they prescribe generic to people who actually need the drug for prostate trouble, I don't think they'd be doing that if they were worried about the efficacy/quality of the medication, just my opinion.

No harm in trying out branded prescription version for few months, if ur still loosing and receding then that will be a different story.

I do see some temple recession compared to last year. But I would advise you against HT at this time. small or large session. You are telling us that your father is still receding both in his crown and frontally at age 50!. I would say no HT now because someone in trying to create aggressive hairline for you might just use up enough grafts at this time to leave you with thinned out donor when u actually start balding in crown and behind your transplanted hairline in future.

Yes, but what really annoys me is why alot of these doctors /clinics don't tell you this type of info?

They want to make there money but what about the best for the person!

From my experience a lot hope you don't know anything.

Yes, but what really annoys me is why alot of these doctors /clinics don't tell you this type of info?

They want to make there money but what about the best for the person!

From my experience a lot hope you don't know anything.

Rashid35 -its an unregulated industry, therefore it is filled with all sorts of good and bad people. Sometimes it is also bad planning for future hairloss both by the patient and the doctor. This is where the experience of people who have had HT before comes in, they have done the research and have had results so that you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

but again this could go wrong too!, as you may have heard in the case of a doctor from Turkey who is/was recommended on this forum who had multiple cases of no or low yield growth and other issues.

When a patient comes to a doctor trusting him/her with his/her illness or suffering it is important and ethically binding to treat that patient to the best of your ability and not think about fleecing them of their hard earned money. But alas..not everyone is ethical in this business just like in any other.

Edited by harin

My Thread: 

I have been using generic finasteride for a year now and have had good results as far as I can tell (http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182496-12-months-finasteride.html). I don't claim to know categorically that there is no difference. That said, I don't buy into the sentiment that brand name propecia is somehow "better". Here in the UK they prescribe generic to people who actually need the drug for prostate trouble, I don't think they'd be doing that if they were worried about the efficacy/quality of the medication, just my opinion.

Indeed .

The bottom line is that the active ingredients within the medication should be the same .I would think that the UK / NA / EU will be much the same. The only caveat would be countries outside of these areas.

This is from the US FDA website :

When a generic drug product is approved, it has met rigorous standards established by the FDA with respect to identity, strength, quality, purity, and potency. However, some variability can and does occur during manufacturing, for both brand name and generic drugs. When a drug, generic or brand name, is mass-produced, very small variations in purity, size, strength, and other parameters are permitted. FDA limits how much variability is acceptable.

• Generic drugs are required to have the same active ingredient, strength, dosage form, and route of administration as the brand name product. Generic drugs do not need to contain the same inactive ingredients as the brand name product.

• The generic drug manufacturer must prove its drug is the same as (bioequivalent) the brand name drug. For example, after the patient takes the generic drug, the amount of drug in the bloodstream is measured. If the levels of the drug in the bloodstream are the same as the levels found when the brand name product is used, the generic drug will work the same.

• Through review of bioequivalence data, FDA ensures that the generic product performs the same as its respective brand name product. This standard applies to all generic drugs, whether immediate or controlled release.

• All generic manufacturing, packaging, and testing sites must pass the same quality standards as those of brand name drugs, and the generic products must meet the same exacting specifications as any brand name product. In fact, many generic drugs are made in the same manufacturing plants as brand name drug products.

So I went to a new barber yesterday and i told him how I wanted my hair cut. Needless to say we didnt understand each other so he gave me a short haircut. However, this type of haircut left me devestated because it made me see that I am seriously losing my hair.

I am 27, am taking finesteride daily so im wondering if I can finally get a hair transplant.

Obviously I have been finding ways to hide my hair loss such as letting my hair grow a little bit but it looks really bad.

What do you guys think?

Do I finally qualify for a hair transplant?

Here are my pics . The first set of pics are from last year and the second set are from this year.

1st Set

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByGkh3KXsrkmUUpMMnlEZ2FkQVE&usp=sharing

2nd Set

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByGkh3KXsrkmRGVhcEs1VDBiOTA&usp=sharing

I am losing my hair and I am losing it fast. What the hell. I really need your help guys. I am devastated. Thank you so much in advance.

I do remember when I also started to lose my locks. I was a bit younger than you and my brother made good fun of my thinning at the crown. I didn't think anything of it until I showered and looked in the mirror. I was shocked like electricity through me. It was happening to me. I really thought balding was for other guys, old guys but it was starting for me without a doubt.

Do not worry about your hair at this moment in time. It looks fine and suits you. Just think if you get a hair transplant now on the front, and the native hair behind the newly transplanted hair continues to recede, what will you look like then?

Stick to propecia and wait until you're in your mid 30s before you begin even considering a transplant. I know that might suck because you want an instant solution but use this time to improve yourself in other ways. Start working out if you don't already, do yoga, begin reading, travel to different places, have fun and stop thinking about a hair transplant.

Do not worry about your hair at this moment in time. It looks fine and suits you. Just think if you get a hair transplant now on the front, and the native hair behind the newly transplanted hair continues to recede, what will you look like then?

Stick to propecia and wait until you're in your mid 30s before you begin even considering a transplant. I know that might suck because you want an instant solution but use this time to improve yourself in other ways. Start working out if you don't already, do yoga, begin reading, travel to different places, have fun and stop thinking about a hair transplant.

So not even a small transplant of 600-800 grafts?

I also want to say that the devastation feeling goes away but you still want your hair back.

So you never got around to doing a hair transplant?

Also, Harin,

I know you say that its the thing that I should be avoiding but why is it that some people in their twenties get successful hair transplants?