Suggestions Please! grafts# ? Doc ?

Hi there!

Been closely watching the forums last few months understanding things. I have now seriously decided to get a transplant, so I thought i'd interact a bit and find some support for my preparation.

I'm 29 and I began noticing thinning about 5 years ago. I have used Rogaine on and off and completely stopped once I started seeing white flaky patches on the scalp. The only supplement I am on right now is Biotin(5000mcg). I haven't considered propecia/Finasteride with all the side effects associated with them (which i think i need to re-consider after the transplant)

My expectations from the transplant are to get a hairline with good density which could frame my face and also cover up till mid scalp. Not really thinking about the crown at this point, may be i'd like to get to it after 5-6 years. My hair on the back looks fine and healthy. Though the thinning at crown started getting lower since last year, i'm still hoping i have a good donor hair left in me.

I've consulted Dr Bhatti who recommended 3500 grafts and Dr Erdogan who recommended 5000 grafts and asked me to use Finasteride for next 6 months before he could perform the surgery. Also sent photos to Dr Lorenzo and waiting on his response.

I've decided to get operated this year, So I really appreciate any suggestions/advice with my preparations.

i've attached photos with both buzz cut and normal hair.

IMG_5521.JPG.54ff77108790a7a7dfcb70c9987f0a24.JPG

IMG_5520.JPG.c520fe42998205d60cac3aca295f8d1f.JPG

IMG_5519.JPG.d14baddb3ded45ed74a2ec9b87956028.JPG

IMG_5518.JPG.557c70bedbf9eedf7ca816e21bd62a56.JPG

IMG_5517.thumb.JPG.f508a4ee7b5bb4e60484ac96ad80d774.JPG

IMG_5516.JPG.8dff93cc582c92a93da99e220385eb40.JPG

IMG_5514.thumb.JPG.0553834497837a950d7203e678c6fa90.JPG

IMG_0577.thumb.JPG.ccd2e467f6d5584d020cf21bf7d122bd.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG.6cd763a21a804cf8eb3a52c06ff21db7.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG.0a18a9f32b4387d6bb4b235ca3dbca2b.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG.8ef7a8dba4047239e322b26e1a5c872c.JPG

IMG_0561.thumb.JPG.e4942482007dfccc30accea021d8cd74.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG.d16733a49e3519af9daf6ce350694fc8.JPG

IMG_5515.JPG.75a9f89bf5c64355f7172b2e301b258d.JPG

Edited by pavan2232
attached photos and edited the message

Hi Pavan,

I think anything between 3500 and 5000 will give you good coverage. I think if I compare my pre-op pics to yours, then there is a just a slight difference with perhaps you needing more grafts.

If you consider that I had 3305 grafts, then perhaps you will understand why Dr Bhatti has recommended 3500 for you. I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is whether you would be happy with a similar result to mine.

If the answer is Yes, then maybe there is no need for you to travel abroad if you are based in India.

Another thing you need to take into account is your age; at 29, it is possible that you will continue receding therefore if you have exhausted most of your grafts in this procedure then what will you do then?

5000 grafts in one go will probably produce a great result, definitely one for the advertising and marketing campaigns to get all silly over, but what will happen a few years down the line when you may well want to get your crown done.

I hope that gives you something to think about, please feel free to PM me if you wish to converse privately.

Whatever decision you make, I hope its the right one for you.

Pavan,

Thank you for posting your questions. I agree that somewhere between 3500 and 5000 grafts will provide you with both good coverage and density, assuming you don't lose any additional natural hair. That's where hair loss medication such as Propecia and Rogaine will come in. Thus, I suggest that you begin using it if you aren't already. You may also want to give it a solid 6 months or so prior to surgery to give the medication a chance to work. Both Dr. Bhatti and Dr. Erdogan are good selections so I'm convinced that you will be in the best of hands whichever one you pick.

Best wishes,

Bill

Yep, propecia. Don;t waste time considering shall i use it? You will lose valuable time otherwise. Most people are fine on it, only way to know is to take it, you may get temp siode effects, watery semen, slight ball ache in one of your testicles, i got these, they went away and 13 years later i'm still on the drug. Without propecia my HT's would have been a waste of time imo

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Pavan-

You are headed for a good degree of loss as your MPHL progresses; Propecia and Rogaine are good choices to address this issue. The reality of any procedure is that the artwork must respect the amount of grafts your donor will provide in the hands of a conservative, forward (looking toward and considering the future) thinking surgeon. The ultimate question of "how many grafts do I need?" must be tempered with the realities of working with tissue in a manner that reproduces consistent, reproducible natural looking results. Numbers are important, and more hair is always good, yet numbers need to take a back seat (IMHO) to the overall goals of good and appropriate tissue management plan geared to the ultimate goal of judicious use of the patients precious and limited donor supply. That said, your donor appears average, and most patients (assuming average density, head size, and tissue laxity) in your situation have anywhere from 2500-3000 FU available at any one time. I hope this is helpful.

Dr Carman

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Pavan, with some docs, it may take 3500 grafts to produce a satisfactory result on you while with some other docs, it may take 5000 grafts. Analyze the surgical protocol of the surgery, including on who will do surgical parts of tge surgery, will the doctor leave the room to work on another patient while technicians work on you, the tools doc would use, there is so many things to evaluate for your safety. Good luck.

I have more or less the same degree of loss as you. What prices did Erdogan and Bhatti quote you...?

Hi Jacareca,

Dr. Bhatti's pricing details are on his website:

Hair Transplant Cost in India, FUE Cost, Price

Prices quoted are in INR (Indian Rupees).

For scalp donor, comes to INR 89 per graft which would translate to USD 1.31 per graft (based upon the current exchange rate)

For BHT, comes to INR 169 per graft which would be around USD 2.49 per graft.

As you might know, Dr. Bhatti performs FUE procedures exclusively.

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.