Splitting Proscar tablets in advance

Masato

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there's any issue with splitting Proscar tablets ahead of time. Suppose I split and get ready an entire box of Proscar tablets for convenience, would it still be potent? How does everyone do it?

Thank you!

I split mine one at a time (at the most two, if I'm feeling ambitious and am afraid I'll forget later in the week) - but one at a time is ideal so as to avoid the medication potentially losing its potency once it's been exposed to air.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Hmmm, makes sense I guess. It would be so convenient to get more tablets ready, though. I'll pick up my very first box of Proscar tomorrow. Bought a small box cutter. Hope that will do the trick.

Does anyone else have some input on this?

I have a pill splitter that I brought nearly 10 years ago and is still cutting my proscar. I do cut into quarters and take daily as splitting it into 5 pieces is too difficult. You will loose some in the cut but works out much more cost effective than buying Propecia.

This is similar to what I have.

5b32eb142a547_pillcutter.jpg.7bbd8f378cd093fece9301686f287d85.jpg

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Just opened the box and they're actually round-shaped so I could split them into quarters. Isn't 1.25 mg too high though? Or would it be better to split them into eights and get 0.625 mg to start off?

I don't believe exposure to air does them damage. I cut many pieces in advance and keep them in a pill box. I find using a knife to cut them is best and cut them into four pieces and discard any significantly smaller ones. Cutting the pills into smaller than four is too difficult without a lot of crumbling.

I thought they would be round initially, but when I took out an actual tablet, turns out they are the odd shape. Split 3 pieces. Indeed, it is very difficult to split them into fifths. Too much crumbling. Hard enough to split them into four.

I cut them into 4ths and I will cut up 3 to 4 at a time. So, I will have anywhere 12 and 16 days before I have to cut again. I have not seen any issues with it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

My generic 5 mg finasteride is round also. I cut up a week's worth in advance. My personal feeling is that cutting up too many in advance could affect their potency but I don't have any data to support that.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

My dosage is 1 mg everyday and is available in 1 mg dosage so no need to open them up before to make pieces and expose to atmosphere. I assume they come in blister packaging for a purpose. Else they would have put numerous ones in an air tight small box.

I get the 5 mg generic round Fin and into quarters. I figure by the time you are done you end up with about 1 gram pieces.

By far the best way for me to cut is just by hand using a small replacement razor blades used for scraping paint of windows from the Hardware or Home depot. That big knife is crazy;

Was a popular tool for chopping all kinds of drugs back in the 70's and 80's :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but i was wondering if anyone had any updated studies/information on the potential issue of splitting proscar into 4s.

Potential issues as in moisture and oxygen affecting the split pill and ultimately affecting its efficacy.

I find someone brought this up 10 years ago in the following thread: 

• Like 1