Dr. Steven Gabel - Caring, compassionate, immediate personal attention

hammerhead

I had an FUT procedure from another doctor. A few weeks into the post-op healing process I became concerned about yellow crusts and scabs that didn’t look right. I was told by the office assistants multiple times that it’s all normal, no need to be concerned. The condition seemed to worsen over the next 3 months, as I contacted the office multiple times, provided two rounds of photos a month apart – and was never able to speak directly to the doctor. Finally, I pleaded that my pictures be placed in front of the doctor and asked for his response. He responded (through the office personnel, not from him) that I had Seborrheic Dermatitis and prescribed steroid shampoo and foam.

For three and a half months I suffered intense hair loss, unsightly worsening scabs and crusts, and obvious set back to the procedure – hopefully no permanent damage, but I won’t know for several months. The original physician is located 750 miles away – and at this point I was just frustrated that I got strung along for so long a period as the condition worsened. Now, instead of growing hair, I am focused on treating a scalp medical condition – that needs to be cleared up so the new transplants can grow.

I was desperate – the local dermatologists where I live were weeks / months out for getting an appointment. I finally started looking outside to larger towns where there might be a dermatologist or hair transplant surgeon who could at least take a look at it in person and advise me.

Enter Doctor Steven Gabel! I sent an email outlining my history much as I’ve done here. Expecting a response from an office person, instead I got an immediate personal response from Doctor Gabel himself! He wanted to see pics – and immediately after seeing them, wanted to see me in person ASAP. He offered to come into his office after hours on a Saturday (the next day), if I was willing to drive up.

When I arrived, Dr. Gabel himself answered the locked door and ushered me up to his office for the exam. After the exam, Dr. Gabel himself took a full set of photos. He then went to work scrapping off all the infected crusts and scabs. After that, two of his assistants took me into another room and washed my hair two times with medicated shampoos, then sprayed my scalp down with anti-bacterial spray.

Dr Gabel then did another exam – then called in a prescription for the medicated steroid shampoo to help clear up the condition and prevent further infection. This after-hours Saturday appointment lasted two hours! Other than the shampooing, all of that time was spent with Dr. Gabel! I was blown away! What an answer to prayer – Dr. Gabel is truly a patient’s advocate – it’s not just a clich? with him – he is the real deal! His personal caring and compassion was the first real comfort I’d had in three months!

My biggest regret is that I didn’t find Dr. Gabel sooner! I am absolutely convinced I would have received the highest possible quality transplant procedure, and more importantly, personal post-op care directly from the surgeon, any time I required it. Had anything gone wrong – there is no doubt he would have personally and immediately nipped it in the bud – and at this point I would be months further along in my hair growth.

Anyone considering a hair transplant procedure – I implore you to seek out Dr Gabel. Beyond the best hair transplant surgeon – he is the best doctor I have ever encountered for anything in my life! I wish I were in your shoes, and knew what I know now. Be careful out there as you search out a surgeon for your procedure. You’ll be in the best hands with Dr. Gabel – and I am not saying that lightly!

Edited by David - Moderator

hammerhead,

Thanks for taking the time to share your story. I'm sorry to hear you've had such a tough time but glad you found your way to Dr. Gabel. Aside from his world-class hair transplantation, he does have a reputation as a genuinely caring person.

I wish you the very best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 2 months later...

Great story and really nice of Dr Gabel to offer this support to you. Thanks for posting.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Hammerhead,

Thank you for the excellent write up. I agree that Dr. Gabel is very passionate about his work, very caring and overall a great guy and an excellent surgeon. I've met him in person several times and I've had a great discussion each time. He is also invited me to his clinic anytime I wanted to see examples of his work. He is very transparent and willing to put his work and results to the test. I'm impressed with him not only as a surgeon, but as a person.

I'm glad he was able to be there for you.

Best wishes,

Bill

WOW!, such a wonderful human being, wish all of us would emulate Dr. Gabel and be nice to one another.

Thank you hammerhead for sharing this wonderful story.

Thank you Dr. Gabel for being such a wonderful role model for doctors, it is people like you who keep this profession so noble.

My Thread: 

• Administrators

I will echo what others have said about Dr. Gabel, I had a consult with him I drove all the way from California to consult with him, he spoke with me for about 2 hours, he examined my recipient and donor extensively then we spoke about long term strategies future hairloss etc.

At the end of the consult he suggested I meet with my original doctor because his work was good, I was pretty blown away by the fact he would refer me back to my previous doc really shows his ethics. I can honestly say he was the most thorough Doctor I had ever consulted with and an overall really nice guy even gave me suggestions on restaurants in downtown Portland.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I will echo what others have said about Dr. Gabel, I had a consult with him I drove all the way from California to consult with him, he spoke with me for about 2 hours, he examined my recipient and donor extensively then we spoke about long term strategies future hairloss etc.

At the end of the consult he suggested I meet with my original doctor because his work was good, I was pretty blown away by the fact he would refer me back to my previous doc really shows his ethics. I can honestly say he was the most thorough Doctor I had ever consulted with and an overall really nice guy even gave me suggestions on restaurants in downtown Portland.

Strong Integrity, ethics,morals, clear conscience = ''HATS OFF Dr. Gabel''. That's one of the toughest thing to do - but most essential quality for a doctor to possess - patient first = ALWAYS.

My Thread: 

ts great to see doctor go out of their way and finally get some praise. I see it all the time without any recognition. Great story and well deserved praise for Dr. Gabel!

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I'm not surprised by this at all.

Dr Gabel personally returned my phone call ( with in 10 minutes) the day after Thanksgiving for some questions I had about the recovery process and called me in another Rx.

He is very service oriented and over delivers.

Top notch.