PRP Therapy: Hair loss treatment

Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP)

Treatment of hair loss or hair thinning. It is an injectable treatment which uses the patient’s own blood. It can promote hair growth, fuller, healthier looking head of hair.

While PRP is in the early stages of scientific research in hair restoration, PRP is not meant to replace current FDA approved therapies such as DHT blockers and Minoxidil. But it is a promising non-surgical therapeutic option for those patients with hair loss.

Anyone had this treatment and have they seen results? Pictures?

Do you think it would help / worth a try in my case ? Rashid35

There was a good deal of hype surrounding PRP for hair loss treatment when it first came out. Since that time some doctors have incorporated it as an adjunct to transplant surgery, others as a standalone treatment, and some have stopped offering it altogether. I've never heard a doctor say it had an adverse effect on either surgery results or as a standalone, and it's not terribly expensive, so I would say it's worth a shot. Seems like there is more science backing it up than many other hair loss treatments.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP)

Treatment of hair loss or hair thinning. It is an injectable treatment which uses the patient’s own blood. It can promote hair growth, fuller, healthier looking head of hair.

While PRP is in the early stages of scientific research in hair restoration, PRP is not meant to replace current FDA approved therapies such as DHT blockers and Minoxidil. But it is a promising non-surgical therapeutic option for those patients with hair loss.

Anyone had this treatment and have they seen results? Pictures?

Do you think it would help / worth a try in my case ? Rashid35

PRP with ACell is the preferred treatment but not all PRP treatments are the same. There are a number of different centrifuges that are on the market and they all have their own advantages and disadvantages. Dr. Cooley has used several centrifuges and has settled on one that he feels helps to get the best results. With the use of ACell we're seeing good results on a good percentage of patients.

You need to understand however that PRP is only an adjunct treatment for most patients in that it can help with the quality of results from surgery and it can be combined with other traditional treatments such as finasteride and minoxidil. In cases of advanced hair loss the benefits are only seen when combined with surgery as PRP is not effective enough to expect measurable improvements for those with advanced loss alone. In other words, if you have areas of loss that are fairly devoid of hair and you have shiny scalp visible then PRP on it's own probably won't do anything worthwhile for you.

PRP is especially effective in patients with diffused loss. This is because sufferers with diffused loss tend to have a lot of miniaturized hair and these hairs respond best to PRP/ACell treatments. This is why PRP/ACell is recommended for many women with visible improvements expected as female hair loss almost always involves diffused hair loss.

As I mentioned, PRP is not a standardized procedure. There is no established industry wide standard for how PRP is derived or delivered as a treatment. Simply spinning viles of blood in a centrifuge and injecting the platelets back into the patient's tissue is not PRP on it's own. Dr. Cooley has been experimenting with PRP for years and is recognized has having one of the most effective treatments in the industry. He is recognized as not only being a world class hair transplant surgeon, he is also recognized as being a world class researcher in the field of hair loss and PRP, combined with Acell, is one of the innovations that he leads in.

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com

it's not terribly expensive, so I would say it's worth a shot. Seems like there is more science backing it up than many other hair loss treatments.

Yes i've seen different prices and some say results may not be seen up until a year others say 3 injection a few months apart and then see if any results.

PRP is especially effective in patients with diffused loss. This is because sufferers with diffused loss tend to have a lot of miniaturized hair and these hairs respond best to PRP/ACell treatments.

This is what i'm hoping for in addition to a miracle while using Regain monoxidil !

Thanks for that info i will loook into PRP with ACell

Does anyone know if this treatment is done in London, England (UK) ?

Edited by Rashid35

Some clinics are charging a ridiculous amount of money for stand alone PRP treatments so buyer beware...:rolleyes:

One individual in this community was quoted as much as $7500.00 for one treatment and no surgery was involved.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY