Terrified of getting hair cut

Hey guys,

I'm well overdue a haircut - only problem is I moved a month overseas a month ago, and I've also been extra conscious of my hair over the last few months, due to it gradually getting worse.

I need to get it cut, because I don't think I am employable the way it is right now, but I'm terrified to go to get it cut. it took me so long to get used to the person who cuts my hair back home, and even with her, i'm afraid to go, and put it off for weeks, even months.

I have a process when getting my haircut, i will apply a small amount of dermmatch so the loss is less obvious, and often straighten it, as I do most days anyway (I have pretty curly hair once its dried)

I spent this evening looking at instagram for local barber shops, and i found one that i was ready to take the plunge with, but then i read a local magazine review on them saying how you get your hairwashed, and scalp massaged with every standard cut. This instantly put me off, for reasons i'm sure you can all work out. everything of my preritual will go out the window.

Any guidance guys?

thanks

Maybe you could have a chat to them before getting it cut? you don't have to have a wash/massage if you choose not to.

I know exactly what you mean I face the same issues every time I think about getting it cut. But hairdressers are very good at being sensitive to your needs.

I have been upfront and honest and go with their advice on what sort of cut I should get.

I just had my first haircut, it was a nerve-racking experience even at 4 months. I went in prepared to over-communicate and keep the barber on a tight leash. I flat out told them I just had surgery on my head and I pointed to the area (currently covered by hair) and told him how delicate it remained. I put just enough fear in him to not f it up. I opted for a clean up rather than a full cut-easier to go back and take off more than bring it back.

In the end, I didnt let him touch the hairline or the recipient, and we did a light trim around the sides and back of my neck. The top my my head is more easy to manipulate with product than the top.

Bottom line, if you need to be a little crazy the first time, do it. You dont need to a shampoo, head massage if you decline one. You're the one paying here. Good luck.

Wait.... are you post-op?

Rich,

Are you mostly concerned about getting a haircut because you're afraid they won't cut it right or are you afraid because you're concerned it might look thinner after it's cut?

The good news is, hair actually typically looks thicker when it's freshly caught because hair is at an even links and looks healthier. But be careful not to cut it too short because any of the layering the fact that you might have now could be eliminated making certain areas look thinner. But, in my opinion I would rather an area look sooner then having my hair too long and risk looking like I have the comb-over a fact which doesn't fool anyone and frankly, people can be quite critical of people who are trying to do the comb-over look.

You could also start trying to cut your hair yourself. Frankly, I've been getting myself a haircut for a long time now, probably since 2005. I just use clippers for the sides and back and blend it into the top. I then use scissors on the top and cut it all one relatively short length but long enough to have some layering. I also comb my hair forward.

Of course, it helps that I've had for hair transplants and my hair looks a lot sicker now than it used to. But I do still have some thinner looking areas, but she is finding a hairstyle that suits you best and make sure hair look perfec of course, it helps that I've had for hair transplants and my hair looks a lot sicker now than it used to. But I do still have some thinner looking areas, but the key is finding a hairstyle that suits you best and making sure your hair looks the thickest.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate it.

Maybe you could have a chat to them before getting it cut? you don't have to have a wash/massage if you choose not to.

I know what you mean. Well I have to book in via an online web form, and i can choose my stylist and time, which is good as If i become a repeat customer, Im guaranteed the same person which would make me comfortable.

I guess I could use my excuse as i had to straighten my hair and if you wash it, its gonna take another 30 minutes on top of the cut to get it straight again. Haircut slots are 30 minutes, so an hour would cost a lot more.

Wait.... are you post-op?

I'm completely pre-op, and will be for a little bit longer unfortunately. I just have always had a lot of anxiety around hair cuts, and now that im in a new location, its made it even harder.

Rich,

Are you mostly concerned about getting a haircut because you're afraid they won't cut it right or are you afraid because you're concerned it might look thinner after it's cut?

The good news is, hair actually typically looks thicker when it's freshly caught because hair is at an even links and looks healthier.

It's more of a collective fear. Truth be told, I've had bad experiences with haircuts as a teen, so ive never really enjoyed going, but since worrying about hair loss its just gotten worse. i think i just hate people being able to look at my hair, my hairline, have full access to play with it and potentially see it without concealers.

You could also start trying to cut your hair yourself. l

I wish I had the skills to do that hahah. i guess it would be easier if i were to use clippers, but ive always been a longer hair kinda guy. maybe ill get into that style in the near future though, if i can keep the sides and back shorter, it might make life a lot easier, at least with styles.

Edited by MyNameIsRich

• 1 month later...

I recently had my first hair cut at the barbers in 16 years after 2 ht ops i thought my hair looked good and thick in the mirror at home but when i looked in the mirror at the barbers with sunlight shinning on it it looked really thin and see through so as soon as i got home i shaved it and will continue shaving the whole thing has been a waste of time and money,

To be honest its more my mental state than the HT i have a full head of hair and its only five months and it will get better but it really doesnt matter my problems are way bigger than hair which i knew before hand but i thought maybe it would be a catalyst to healing my mind. But it hasnt been thats why i said its a waste of time and money and focusing on the wrong things which im clearly still doing im sure for people with lives a result like mine would make them very satisfied but if your path is too dark to see hair wont light your way.

• 2 months later...

Having an open and honest conversation with the barber is going to be the best way to ensure that you get the results you want. The truth is that they deal with men and hair loss on a regular basis, so this is most likely something they're very familiar with. I would also start small for your first haircut with a new barber. In my experience, barbers often get a little ambitious and can cut off more than you want them to. To offset this, I would go in and request something along the lines of a trim or a "touch up" of sorts. This, combined with being very clear about your concerns, should greatly increase the odds of you getting satisfactory results. If so, you can return to this same barber in the future and eventually develop a solid relationship/trust so that you know you'll be getting what you ask for.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 2 weeks later...

You've received some great advice here. This is a mental hurdle you're going to have to tackle. Those people don't know you and, frankly, hairstylists have seen it all. They're not judging your hair. Five minutes after you leave they won't give it a second thought.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Bill,

ive been like you also for years cutting my own hair not the greatest I must say but its been getting harder & harder to be honest & here lately I have really been messing it up where I just let it grow out for 3 4 months & looks & feels like crap & your right it looks so obvious tooother people, that it looks like a comb over.

so today my son 13 with a thick head of hair, hairline down to his eyebrows, tbe luky so & so me think back to them days, well saying that my hair was nowhere near what my boy has been gifted at again the lucky bugger.

So he wanted me to take him to this sports cut hair salon & he said they gave him a voucher for a free haircut for family or friends, so me being the cheap charlie I am thought okay this could work out well after ducking these types of places for many, many years, so there was my boy showing his phone to the girl of what super dooper hairstyle he wanted you know what these teens are wearing today & there is me saying short back & sides please lmao

she said wow you haven't cut your hair in a while no? I said nah D.I.Y she said I can tell joking with me...kinda broke the ice as she must of thought I was a bit nervous, ridiculous anit it? Anyways she shaved the back & sides ask me how short I want my top, said about a inch & then she took me to this other room for a shampoo, face message, while twashing my hair was sitting in this message chair it was the bomb I tell you lol.

So guys I do get it us guys whos very sensitive in strangers messing with something which is very emotionally personal to us, unless your not loosing your hair its hard to describe right?

Anyways it all worked out, I was kinda nervous myself but it ended up a pleasantly surprising advent especially it was a FREE B lol

My boy said its good there rights? I said yep its okay, he said you take me next month? I said nah your mum can take you as she can pay next time? I wait till you get another Voucher LOL.

ontop, I totally get what you're feeling.

We cover up our imperfections so much that hiding them becomes a part of our life. Getting a haircut was tough for me because everytime I tried a new barber, he would screw up my comb over because he wouldn't understand how "my combover" worked. I finally found someone who would listen to how I wanted my hair cut and sticked with this guy for 4 years. I moved a few kilometers away from this place and still, I'd call him up, make sure the guys around and head out to get a haircut, in my car. This was a big red flag for me because a few years ago, I used to go to the nearest barber shop, get a haircut and walk out happy and mind my own business. Getting a haircut had suddenly become a PITA. Even with this regular barber, getting a haircut would make me nervous wondering if I would look like a fool the next day.

Last week, I took the plunge and got an HT done so I have a shaved head now. No more barber shops for a while. Such a relief.

• 4 months later...