Can I have a Transplant ?

Thanks to everyone.

1] I will grow the hair more then post the pictures but only after 1 week of growth my hair starts looking really uneven so i use a number 1 setting on my trimmer on the back and sides. I then level any longer hairs on top with a scissors. So i have an overall short even hair.

How much growth would you say is needed? The current pictures were just under 2 weeks growth.

2] The people i had consultations with i dont know if they were doctors but they just gave me a graft number and price no further explanation.

What should i ask for dont know if they would do tests as the consultations are normally free ?

I really have had many many different replies from clinics/ doctors e.g below

This is DR. Umar email reply,

Dear Mr Rahsid,

Given your hair loss status, there a 4 possibilities for restoration using my methods. Please look at them using the attached photo for reference and let me know which options suits your present goals the best:

1. We can create an expanded forelock the involves your front and middle to the exclusion of the crown with 2000 - 2500 head and nape derived grafts. The hairline would be very conservative at about the NW 3 position and the density is also conservative

2. Restore your front and middle to the exclusion of the crown with 4500 - 5000 head and nape derived grafts. The hairline would be conservative at about the NW 2 position.

3. Restore your front, middle and crown with 6500 - 7500 head, nape and beard derived grafts. The hairline would be conservative at about the NW 2-3 position. The crown is given a thinning look.

4. Restore your front, middle and crown with 9500 - 11000 head, nape, beard and other body area derived grafts. The hairline would be aggressive at about the NW 2-3 position. The crown is given a moderate density coverage.

5. Subsequent to #4, you can do successive surgeries of 3000-5000 grafts to add density and to bring your hairline to NW 2-1 and/or for density

Please note that especially for options #4 and #5 touch up surgeries may be required to attain desired densities.

Please send photos of your:

chest; stomach area; leg and thigh

FineTouch Dermatology Inc

DermHair Clinic

819 North Harbor Drive, Suite 400

Redondo Beach, California 90277

Tel (310) 318-1500 or 1877-DERMHAIR

Fax (310) 318-1590

Now many have said different things to me with around 5 or so clinics/ doctors saying i'm not suitable for a transplant.

If i had alot of money i probly would take the risks and see if it worked for me but i don't so again i'm left confused. I do think the hair industry needs to be more regulated as many say they can do this and that when others say it's impossible.

Edited by Rashid35

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Rashid,

I think there are some wonderful suggestions here. I would say grow your hair out long for at least 6 weeks,then click some pictures and post them on this thread.

I think looking at you beard the beard donor appears slightly limited as well. That is why Dr. Umar asked you to send in pictures of stomach, leg and other body hair pictures.

If you are looking for affordable scalp and BHT combination then you might have to consider European (Turkey) or Indian doctors.

Either way good luck with your research. I hope you find what you are looking for.

My Thread: 

I used to have alot, alot of body hair it was not the same as head hair but i do think it could have been used to add density but I did not know I would need it for my head hair so i had laser hair removal done many times in the past.

I still have body hair but it has become more thin now. I dont know how thick it would get if i let it grow out.

My beard hair is much more like my head hair it is dark and thick and grows quick.

I have had laser hair removal below the jaw and neck too. I still have hair under the jaw but i shaved it so you wouldn't see it in the pictures.

Where exactly are the grafts taken from the beard ? Also are these reliable in getting a big number for my case ?

Regarding different clinics / doctors i've had such different opinions from Europe many have said they can do fue alone and they have not told me anything else. From Turkey most said i was not a suitable candidate. I'm not sure about India and would I go there for treatment and it would not be cheap considering follow-up appointments etc.

The doctors / clinics who say i'm not suitable candidate have given me a few reasons why but these dont do/rely on body or beard hair.

When i ask these things to those who say i can have a transplant they don't answer me.

If i have a transplant i need to know if if i had furture hair loss would i be able to get more grafts to cover that ?

I havent even thought about the costs yet!

Any help welcome!

Edited by Rashid35

Rashid,

I can feel your pain in your posts, I hope that you can be helped in some way.

I'm not sure about body hair, from my research there are very mixed results and no guarantees.

What were the actual responses from the other clinics that you mention?

From what you say they would seem to be very different from each other.

Sammi

Yes, I got the worse of things,

first i thought it was the cost i saved a little and hoped i could get a transplant

(i did expect to have another one but after some years)

However i was told i was not a suitable candidate which i had to accept.

Then all these other and i mean many clinics and doctors were saying i can have treatment telling me different graft numbers from 2000 to 8500+

They were not considering or telling me about any future hair loss and donor area is not enough to cover the loss as doctor Lorenzo and Farjo clinic London truthfully told me.

Many palces are offering me grafts which are totally impossible and all are saying different number of grafts. One clinic then told me it was not possible to get another 1000 which another clinic said they could. I asked if this is the case now disputing between a 1000 grafts what about the future. They then said we will look at other treatments!

One clinic said we have to quickly get the hairs from the donor area before they fall out. I said if they can fall out there will they not have more of a chance of falling out when transplanted ? They have not replied.

Then i heard about the body hair and beard but like you say they are not reliable and even these can be limited and not many do them and they are expensive too with no guarantee.

I would advise not to rely on free consultations but have a proper check of the hair and check with others as well as ask for before and after pictures not only that ask for pictures or to see results after 5+ years. Also go with a well known and relaibale doctor even if it costs more than be sorry in addition to spending/wasting money on cheaper offers.

Now the thing is i'm in a time in life 35years old when this was the last thing i thought would concern me but it does, not having / loosing hair does make me feel older etc and a shaven head just does not suit me.

Gone are the days i had so much hair i used to always wear a beanie hat for some reason.

Now within 5 to 7 years nearly bald looking at norwood scale7 with limited donor area too.

If i had the money i think i would still risk it and try a transplant with beard and body hair from a good doctor, i don't know.

Edited by Rashid35

I used to have alot, alot of body hair it was not the same as head hair but i do think it could have been used to add density but I did not know I would need it for my head hair so i had laser hair removal done many times in the past.

I still have body hair but it has become more thin now. I dont know how thick it would get if i let it grow out.

My beard hair is much more like my head hair it is dark and thick and grows quick.

I have had laser hair removal below the jaw and neck too. I still have hair under the jaw but i shaved it so you wouldn't see it in the pictures.

Where exactly are the grafts taken from the beard ? Also are these reliable in getting a big number for my case ?

Regarding different clinics / doctors i've had such different opinions from Europe many have said they can do fue alone and they have not told me anything else. From Turkey most said i was not a suitable candidate. I'm not sure about India and would I go there for treatment and it would not be cheap considering follow-up appointments etc.

The doctors / clinics who say i'm not suitable candidate have given me a few reasons why but these dont do/rely on body or beard hair.

When i ask these things to those who say i can have a transplant they don't answer me.

If i have a transplant i need to know if if i had furture hair loss would i be able to get more grafts to cover that ?

I havent even thought about the costs yet!

Any help welcome!

Lorenzo sounded like he gave you realistic advice. Was that an in person consult? It sounds like no. If yes I think then you got a realistic answer from one of the best in the world and didn't want to accept his answer. It strikes me as a bit strange you got advice from one of the best doctors in the world and then come here to ask our advice and most of us are not doctors. :)

If you did not visit Lorenzo in person take a day off, make a consult in person with one of the recommended Belgium doctors, and GO DO AN IN CLINIC visit. Even if Lorenzo was in person and you want a 2nd opinion to try to refute him then go to Belgium. You have some of the top doctors in the world just a train ride away from UK. They can see things in person that we will never see in a photo online. Lighting, hair length, angles, all changes perception online.

We can dance in circles all day here but most people here looking at you are former HT clients looking at photos - not world class surgeons who look at thousands of heads in their career. You have multiple ones in Belgium, go visit one. Some things you can only judge under a microscope.

You repeatedly ask why UK clinics give you a number or grafts and a curt response and "all is well just come in and we'll take care of you". I think you are well aware why - its what makes the world go around. $$$$$$

Also be realistic of your finances. What Dr Umar is suggesting will cost tens upon tens of thousands of dollars esp for options like 4, 5. And many visits. Are you willing to fly to CA repeatedly? Will you make this investment ? Do you have the funds? If not there is 1 recommended person in India here who specializes in these body hair/beard/ - will be much cheaper but again you probably would be best served to go and visit that doctor first as you have a probably complex case and needs a game plan beforehand you both agree to.

But at minimum before you think about all that go the cheap route and buy a train ticket and go to Belgium and get an in person consult w/ one of the best in the business. The more times you ask here the more responses you get here and you will get even more confused as you will get even more varied responses. You have an advanced case with potential limited donor supply - its the bottom line. How to attack it, will require in person input IMO.

As an aside from the beard you might get 600-800 grafts or something like that - you wont get 2000+ or anything like that unless you want pockets of white scars in your bottom of face. Which defeats the purpose.

Good luck.

Edited by thisguy1

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

I have accepted the advice from dr lorenzo but then I came on here and saw people having similar cases and used donor and beard hair and they were able to restore there hair.

NW 6/7 HT New Delhi/NCR region - Page 5 - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients

It gave me some hope but i admit I'm bit confused between different opinions most of which were by email but the ones that said I was not a suitable candidate were sure they did not even say come in to have it checked.

If I were to go somewhere in person please send me some links/ addresses of good places.

I was surprised how unregulated the industry is...

Yes that's true i don't have that much saved and like you say and travel etc would become very costly and at $8 per grafts plus with other hair $2 per graft in addition would be too much.

Please give me the details of doctor in India.

So how did harin in the above link get so many grafts?

Thanks

I have accepted the advice from dr lorenzo but then I came on here and saw people having similar cases and used donor and beard hair and they were able to restore there hair.

It gave me some hope but i admit I'm bit confused between different opinions most of which were by email but the ones that said I was not a suitable candidate were sure they did not even say come in to have it checked.

If I were to go somewhere in person please send me some links/ addresses of good places.

Yes that's true i don't have that much saved and like you say and travel etc would become very costly and at $8 per grafts plus with other hair $2 per graft in addition would be too much.

Thanks

Consult with Bisanga and Feriduni in Belgium. The Indian surgeon is Bhatti

Belgium is the leading center of hair transplant clinics in Europe. FUE, repair, BHT, and hairline work, it's all done in Brussels.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks

Bisanga is free for consult in Belgium; I think I read recently Feriduni might charge now for consult but double check. In India Bhatti as someone else said. In top right of website there is "Recommended physicians" - you can find each doctor by country or name and then a webpage shows their contact info where you can email / phone / and their address.

Yes this is an expensive game unless you go to India or Turkey. And there are limited people in those 2 countries to trust. So when you start talking about all these steps, # of visits, travel across world, you have to add that on top of the actual surgery.

But if you go to say Bisanga and Lorenzo and they both tell you the same story I'd consider you got recommendations from 2 of the top 10-15 surgeons in world and it's probably worth heeding. Remember to take much of what you read on internet with grains of salt. And anyone looking at photos via email will not be able to tell you exactly what a good doctor will with your head under a microscope.

Good luck man.

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

• Administrators
When your retrograde alopecia dips any further, lord have mercy

I don't think it will, even in the most extreme baldness there is always hair on the back of the head, the worst case ive seen the sides had completely receded and a thin little strip of hair remained at the back, of course a miniaturization test should be done to check his donor but I don't anticipate the retrograde alopecia going much higher. I think what makes it look worse is that half of the hair that looks like its nape hair is actually back hair that he just squares off, if you see where the line is drawn, that is where his nape begins, everything below is actually back hair you can actually see where he shaves.

WicOn6p.jpg?1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks

@Rashid35 - my HT surgeon was NOT Dr. Bhatti, I did consult with Dr. Bhatti initially who told me not to have the HT. (I think I was little unrealistic in my expectation when I mailed him which may have skewed him in rejecting my case). Again Dr. Bhatti also thought I had retrograde alopecia. This analysis proved wrong when I went for in-person consultation after growing my hair for 6weeks. (again goes to say that pics by themselves can be deceptive to even an expert's eye!)

Please check your PM, I do not think posting links here is allowed so I sent you the details of Dr. Arika Bansal M.D who did my surgery to your inbox. Good luck.

Edited by harin

My Thread: 

I don't think it will, even in the most extreme baldness there is always hair on the back of the head, the worst case ive seen the sides had completely receded and a thin little strip of hair remained at the back, of course a miniaturization test should be done to check his donor but I don't anticipate the retrograde alopecia going much higher. I think what makes it look worse is that half of the hair that looks like its nape hair is actually back hair that he just squares off, if you see where the line is drawn, that is where his nape begins, everything below is actually back hair you can actually see where he shaves.

WicOn6p.jpg?1

@HTsoon - I agree with ur opinion, I also think he is doable with some combo BHT. But has to really plan well and dig in deep (research) before he lets anyone touch his precious grafts!.

My Thread: 

Pattern of loss can be aggressive . This is a worst case scenario but at least patient

was happy with what little could be done. Drugs are the most important thing can strengthen donor hair. If you are to do anything need to be careful as you can be.

Approach to Surgical Hair Restoration of Advanced Stage Male Patterned Hair Loss | Hair Loss Q & A

Pictures can be deceiving, HOWEVER, if these pictures tell the truth, you are not a candidate. Listen, when a Doctor rejects you, he is doing it because he knows that a procedure won't meet your long-term interests.

I strongly disagree with those recommending a body hair transplant on a Norwood 6 with severe retrograde alopecia (if the pics are telling the truth). 20,000 pubic hairs will look like 20,000 pubic hairs growing in the wrong place. 10,000 beard grafts will look like 10,000 beard grafts, and so on. I am convinced that in 20 years from now, we will look back at the industry state of today in complete shock that body hair was still being used as a stand alone procedure in 2016. Don't do it! Right now you look natural. Don't mess with that!

Why don't you catch a train to Brussels and meet with Dr. Bisanga in person. He's very ethical and will tell it to you the way it is.

Good luck.

Edit. One more thing to consider: A hair system. Many results today just blow me away.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I've discussed your pictures that you've resend with Dr. Bisanga.

If you are ready to go through with a hair transplant, the Doctor says he could

try to take a maximum amount of grafts by FUE and a maximum amount by BHT.

But he wants you to keep the option of doing a smp also.

He will have to see you before he can give you an estimation of the number of grafts.

He will need to see your donor area, and see what is safe to take.

And for the beard probably around 1000 grafts first, and if you have chest hair, he might

take some of that also, but again he will need to see you first to be able to give you a more precise

amount of grafts that he will need.

The beard hair will be mixed with the FUE, but can't be put in the hairline as it is too coarse

compared to your hair, but the Doctor will do a mix, so it will look more natural.

We charge for the FUE 5€/graft for the first 1000 grafts and 3€/graft for the additional grafts.

For the BHT we charge 6€/graft.

----------------------------------------

Dr Tejinder Bhatti

Thank you for the mail and for the attached pictures.

For your type 6 pattern you ideally need around 5500 grafts (not hair/ follicles).

However, due to the extensive nature of the baldness, the donor scalp area is compromised.

Therefore, I will be able to harvest no more than 3200-3500 grafts from the scalp.

The remaining grafts to complete the procedure shall need to come from the body- chest, beard.

I will need pictures of these regions for a complete assessment.

However, since the cost of body hair is double that of scalp hair, you may choose to split your procedure into 2 sessions, 6 months apart.

This way we can harvest 1500-2000 grafts from the scalp after the above time period.

Now, you would ofcourse like to ask why in the first sitting itself we cannot harvest that many grafts!

If we harvest too close ( overharvesting), adjacent harvesting punches may merge leading to visible scarring. This is the reason why, to maintain esthesis, we advise a 2 session procedure to optimally utilise scalp donor site.

To sum up, you have extensive baldness and a low donor area.

This leaves very little room for error.

I look forward to treating you.

The beard shall allow 600 grafts t be harvested. Regards,

Dr Tejinder Bhatti

---------------------------------------------

Thanks to everyone but it seems i have the same happening here, one side saying i can have a transplant and the other saying dont.

Both with strong reasons.

The same with all the different clinic and doctors.

I agree the best is in person check but the ones that say i'm not suitable sound very sure without the need for in person.

Even the ones that have requested in person donor hair check have said it seems you have a large area and low donor.

HTsoon well pointed out, i always cut/ trim my hair myself and never really knew how far up to shave the neck line.

I used to have alot of hairs on my neck and have had laser hair removal many times in the past this reduced the amount of hair so over time i think i included the hair from my back neck into my head hair so i dont need to keep shaving those back of neck hairs which irritated me!

I've discussed your pictures that you've resend with Dr. Bisanga.

If you are ready to go through with a hair transplant, the Doctor says he could

try to take a maximum amount of grafts by FUE and a maximum amount by BHT.

But he wants you to keep the option of doing a smp also.

He will have to see you before he can give you an estimation of the number of grafts.

He will need to see your donor area, and see what is safe to take.

And for the beard probably around 1000 grafts first, and if you have chest hair, he might

take some of that also, but again he will need to see you first to be able to give you a more precise

amount of grafts that he will need.

The beard hair will be mixed with the FUE, but can't be put in the hairline as it is too coarse

compared to your hair, but the Doctor will do a mix, so it will look more natural.

We charge for the FUE 5€/graft for the first 1000 grafts and 3€/graft for the additional grafts.

For the BHT we charge 6€/graft.

----------------------------------------

Dr Tejinder Bhatti

Thank you for the mail and for the attached pictures.

For your type 6 pattern you ideally need around 5500 grafts (not hair/ follicles).

However, due to the extensive nature of the baldness, the donor scalp area is compromised.

Therefore, I will be able to harvest no more than 3200-3500 grafts from the scalp.

The remaining grafts to complete the procedure shall need to come from the body- chest, beard.

I will need pictures of these regions for a complete assessment.

However, since the cost of body hair is double that of scalp hair, you may choose to split your procedure into 2 sessions, 6 months apart.

This way we can harvest 1500-2000 grafts from the scalp after the above time period.

Now, you would ofcourse like to ask why in the first sitting itself we cannot harvest that many grafts!

If we harvest too close ( overharvesting), adjacent harvesting punches may merge leading to visible scarring. This is the reason why, to maintain esthesis, we advise a 2 session procedure to optimally utilise scalp donor site.

To sum up, you have extensive baldness and a low donor area.

This leaves very little room for error.

I look forward to treating you.

The beard shall allow 600 grafts t be harvested. Regards,

Dr Tejinder Bhatti

---------------------------------------------

If Bhatti could get you >3000 from the scalp I'd find that a miracle myself. :) I think Bisanga had the right answer - your case really needs to see your scalp in person to make an estimate. Bhatti as well - once he sees it up close he can make an adjustment to his estimate if need be.

But at least these are relatively positive answers. Again, you can go see one of these guys in a short train ride away. I think both doctors sort of said what we were telling you in forum - lots of bare area and not a lot of donor area. But like I said, if you somehow got 3k from just scalp alone you should be thankful - that strikes me as aggressive as it could compromise your donor area.

I think upon closer inspection you will hear something closer to 2000-2200 from scalp + 800 beard. So that gets you to 3K - now you need to find the other 2500. ;)

NW 5A to 6.

• Administrators
Thanks to everyone but it seems i have the same happening here, one side saying i can have a transplant and the other saying dont.

Both with strong reasons.

The same with all the different clinic and doctors.

I agree the best is in person check but the ones that say i'm not suitable sound very sure without the need for in person.

Even the ones that have requested in person donor hair check have said it seems you have a large area and low donor.

HTsoon well pointed out, i always cut/ trim my hair myself and never really knew how far up to shave the neck line.

I used to have alot of hairs on my neck and have had laser hair removal many times in the past this reduced the amount of hair so over time i think i included the hair from my back neck into my head hair so i dont need to keep shaving those back of neck hairs which irritated me!

It could be that your nape hairs may have been damaged during the laser hair removal, what needs to happen is the doctor needs to check the rest of your donor for microscopic miniaturization, if the rest of the donor does not have miniaturization it would be OK to proceed with a conservative procedure, I'm a proponent for BHT when it's combined with scalp grafts, Dr. Bisanga has a patient who was Norwood 6 he had over a thousand beard grafts, his results were quite amazing. I think if I were you I would get on a train and go to Belgium for a consult.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.