4,200 grafts FUT dr. Hasson Feb. 03, 2016

Dutchie

What do you mean by biopsies? Do you think that it didnt grow because of inflammatory under the skin?

Well ya I mean just to eliminate possibilities. I read in another thread someone said the doctor suggested that since growth had failed for that patient too.

These failures give me nightmares...only hope then is a doctor who stands behind their work.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Btw, if they perform corrective surgery or give you refund and then you start growing hair later because say you were just unlucky to see growth very late...will you come back and report and give the money back or pay for the 'corrective' surgery to H & W? Should be a two way street no?

This is why I've been saying all along, lets give it the full 2 years before I waste my money on a plane ticket to B.C.

If it still looks like crap by February 2018 I think we can safely assume its a done deal

You can congratulate yourself, it's not often that I log in to make a reply.

'With respect', I gotta say, that is one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while. First- you're thinking WAY too far ahead. The idea that his hair magically starts growing almost 2 years post op is complete non-sense. Secondly, assuming they repair him, please explain how he'd be able to differentiate between first and second transplant? Lastly, you really think dutchie cares about that money? Him sitting in limbo after have already given up a year of his life with the anticipation of a new mane is much harder than what some of you recognize. I'm willing to bet he'd pay an additional 17k to have a decent head of hair and to have this whole thing behind him

^^^^ quoted for truth.

I would pay a million dollars just to have some decent coverage.

I would sell my condo, my car, my life's savings and my piggy bank just to come up with the money, and then I would live on the streets like a homeless person for a few months before I'd find my feet again

• Administrators
With respect I don't think you can just eyeball all inflammatory conditions in a simple physical exam. Thats why people suggest biopsies and my guess is so will Dr Hasson.

Btw, if they perform corrective surgery or give you refund and then you start growing hair later because say you were just unlucky to see growth very late...will you come back and report and give the money back or pay for the 'corrective' surgery to H & W? Should be a two way street no?

With all due respect, I have NEVER seen a 12 month result go from a complete failure to a success in the next year, I consulted with nearly every elite hair transplant surgeon after my first transplant about growth, unanimously all of them told me that 12 months should be enough time to rate your result, now you may continue to see improvements until 2 years, key word is improvements.

Unfortunately, and I hate to say this but Dutchie appears to have almost zero growth, even if he had improvements up in to the two year mark I still do not think it would be a success. Now I'm not here to argue with you or have a war with words, this is just what I have personally been told by several elite surgeons. I think Dutchie has been and is being fair to the clinic, 12 months is enough time to gauge your result, from my own experience after 12 months the only changes I saw were hair texture.

In my opinion, I don't think Dutchie should rush in to another procedure, but I also don't think he should build his hopes up that he will somehow grow a majority of his grafts in the next year, and it pains me to say this but I don't want to build false hope which is much worse.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

^^^^ quoted for truth.

I would pay a million dollars just to have some decent coverage.

I would sell my condo, my car, my life's savings and my piggy bank just to come up with the money, and then I would live on the streets like a homeless person for a few months before I'd find my feet again

Kinda like Louis CK said he would happily trade his situation with a homeless man for his James Dean hair because it wouldn't take long for him to wash up and hit a comedy club lol! lets hope not you or anybody has to go through that. Bottom line is the clinic has to stand behind a failed result. No debate there. I think you willing to wait till Feb 2018 is more than enough patience and by then you will hopefully have a financial solution worked out and new clinic to consider. I would probably consider someone specializing in body hair transplant and mix it with donor hair just to be safe. I prefer a buzzed haircut so BHT may work for me but not everybody else.

With all due respect, I have NEVER seen a 12 month result go from a complete failure to a success in the next year, I consulted with nearly every elite hair transplant surgeon after my first transplant about growth, unanimously all of them told me that 12 months should be enough time to rate your result, now you may continue to see improvements until 2 years, key word is improvements.

Unfortunately, and I hate to say this but Dutchie appears to have almost zero growth, even if he had improvements up in to the two year mark I still do not think it would be a success. Now I'm not here to argue with you or have a war with words, this is just what I have personally been told by several elite surgeons. I think Dutchie has been and is being fair to the clinic, 12 months is enough time to gauge your result, from my own experience after 12 months the only changes I saw were hair texture.

In my opinion, I don't think Dutchie should rush in to another procedure, but I also don't think he should build his hopes up that he will somehow grow a majority of his grafts in the next year, and it pains me to say this but I don't want to build false hope which is much worse.

Why would we have a war of words? You have been very respectful and thoughtful in your response. I agree with pretty much everything you just said. Yes I have never seen a result this weak this late. But have seen dramatic difference between 12 month versus 2 year mark in patients who did have successful HTs. Btw, 2 years is still too much IMO to be sure about a failure. I would consider 12 month mark to be adequate...then at that point look for an amicable solution and over the next 3-4 months get ready for a second HT.

I am glad we talk about these failed results because obviously the HT surgeon community doesn't discuss this openly. Wish we knew more about failed results beyond just the obvious like poor post-op care or anecdotal reasons like scalp inflammation, under-trained technicians involved in the surgery.

Dutchie it looks from the pics that your scar is camouflaged--that is a silver lining. If no real growth at 18 or 24 mos. you should be refunded your money. It would show Dr H's integrity. This is, after all, cosmetic surgery, and if the Dr fails to produce noticeable cosmetic improvement then you haven't received the benefit of the bargain and the Dr. should shoulder some responsibility.

Guys,

For the record, I never said this was a good result nor was I trying to "defend it". When I was going through the 5,000,000 replies to this topic (exaggeration of course) and I was on a page somewhere in the 40's, I saw a particular set of photos that looked decent. My reply about not seeing anything wrong was related to those photos alone. I don't recall the exact context of the message that went along with the original post at this point so I cannot say.

I agree with everyone's assessment that it's a less than desirable result. But after 60 plus pages, the question is...what's going to be done about this?

I was away for about a week and then I got sick so I haven't been able to communicate directly with Hasson and Wong. However, they also haven't called me since I tried to reach out to the clinic several weeks ago either. But now that I'm back (though I'm still sick), I put a call into them today to discuss this.

At this point, I think we need to come to a conclusion. In my opinion, Hasson and Wong and Dutchie need to talk about coming to an amicable resolution. Perhaps everyone in the midst of their frustration can put it all down and just communicate as if you're meeting for the first time.

Dutchie, I ask that you remain open minded and consider letting Hasson and Wong make things right. They do outstanding work so in my opinion, I feel strongly that you should let them do another procedure on you, that is, if that's what they suggest. To me, that would be better than a "partial refund" that would at best, go to an equally talented surgeon or perhaps even a lesser one.

At the end of the day, I want the best results for you. So let's stop talking about it and get it done. I should be speaking with the clinic today.

Best wishes,

Bill

Guys,

For the record, I never said this was a good result nor was I trying to "defend it". When I was going through the 5,000,000 replies to this topic (exaggeration of course) and I was on a page somewhere in the 40's, I saw a particular set of photos that looked decent. My reply about not seeing anything wrong was related to those photos alone. I don't recall the exact context of the message that went along with the original post at this point so I cannot say.

I agree with everyone's assessment that it's a less than desirable result. But after 60 plus pages, the question is...what's going to be done about this?

I was away for about a week and then I got sick so I haven't been able to communicate directly with Hasson and Wong. However, they also haven't called me since I tried to reach out to the clinic several weeks ago either. But now that I'm back (though I'm still sick), I put a call into them today to discuss this.

At this point, I think we need to come to a conclusion. In my opinion, Hasson and Wong and Dutchie need to talk about coming to an amicable resolution. Perhaps everyone in the midst of their frustration can put it all down and just communicate as if you're meeting for the first time.

Dutchie, I ask that you remain open minded and consider letting Hasson and Wong make things right. They do outstanding work so in my opinion, I feel strongly that you should let them do another procedure on you, that is, if that's what they suggest. To me, that would be better than a "partial refund" that would at best, go to an equally talented surgeon or perhaps even a lesser one.

At the end of the day, I want the best results for you. So let's stop talking about it and get it done. I should be speaking with the clinic today.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill, I talked to Doug on the phone last week, the communication was excellent, I told them I will come to Vancouver at my own expense, and leave it to dr. Hasson to do what he thinks is fair.

I also texted Doug afterwards and told him I really wanna give it another 3 to 6 months to make ABSOLUTELY sure that its a subpar result before I accept any kind of refund or free procedures.

So thats where we stand right now. And I hope you feel better soon

Dutchie - there's some definite improvement and growth there from the last pic you posted! Don't lose faith! Are you trying Rogaine foam in the mornings & evenings consistently for several months to speed up the growth. Best of luck man.

Dutchie - there's some definite improvement and growth there from the last pic you posted! Don't lose faith! Are you trying Rogaine foam in the mornings & evenings consistently for several months to speed up the growth. Best of luck man

I am using MX, but I only put it on once a day

Dutchie and all,

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this topic over its very long course. However, I recently made several changes to this topic. You may notice that it's a lot shorter and you may be wondering where the last 3 months of comments went. While our community enables patients to share their genuine opinions, experiences and concerns, we also aim to maintain a fair and balanced environment on our forum for both patients and physicians.

In speaking with Dr. Hasson earlier today and in going through this topic again, Dutchie had stated that he would patiently wait for 3 months before evaluating whether the result was a success or failure (or fell somewhere in between). The problem is however, the topic continued with a plethora of negative comments about failed results when the patient himself agreed to wait 3 more months before determining whether or not the hair transplant was a success or failure.

Dr. Hasson and I have been playing phone tag on and off for several months due to conflicting schedules. Had I known that there was an agreement to wait 3 months before evaluating the result, I would have made a statement at that point and/or temporarily locked the topic until the appointed time when all parties agreed to assess the result.

While everyone enjoyed the freedom of being able to say what they wanted during those three months, we've concluded that ongoing statements that a result was a "failed one" was unfair when Dr. Hasson's hands were tied and couldn't do anything since the agreement was to wait.

This community prides itself on free speech. But there comes to a point when free speech is no longer "free" and is just plain unfairly damaging to an excellent physician's hard earned reputation.

While I'm not suggesting Dutchie didn't have the right to be concerned and upset while he waited things out, I can empathize also with Dr. Hasson who could do nothing but watch commends unfold that could adversely affect his excellent reputation.

The truth is, Dr. Hasson is one of the good guys and I have full faith in his ability to perform world-class results. All surgeons have unhappy patients and cases of poor growth. But in my experience both personally and professionally from being involved with this community for almost 10 years, Dr. Hasson has always stood by his patients. Dr. Hasson is also an advocate of discussion forums and free speech. But he wants things to be fair. As do I and I'm sure most members of this community would agree that they'd like to be treated fairly as well.

Now that 3 months have passed, an accurate assessment of Dutchie's results can be made and a solution can be reached.

I trust that Dr. Hasson will stand by his work and results like he always does and it's my hope that Dutchie will give him the chance to make things right.

While removing forum posts isn't overly popular and it's not something we do very often, we felt in this unique situation, that it was the only way to be fair to all parties, who agreed to wait 3 months before assessing Dutchie's hair transplant.

I will allow both Dutchie and Dr. Hasson to post a couple more times to share any last words regarding how this situation is going to be resolved. After that, it's time to move on and give other members the attention they deserve for sharing their results.

Hair transplant surgery is not an exact science however, it's 95% plus effective in the right surgeon's hands. I heard that a comment was made that hair transplant surgery is only 70% effective. This might be true in an inexperienced surgeon's hands, but Dr. Hasson and other Coalition members have a 95% success rate. It's truly unfortunate when someone falls in the bottom 5%. But reputable surgeons like Dr. Hasson, Dr. Wong and other recommended physicians have a very high success rate. God forbid something goes wrong, they stand behind their patients.

Best wishes,

Bill

Dutchie,

I also texted Doug afterwards and told him I really wanna give it another 3 to 6 months to make ABSOLUTELY sure that its a subpar result before I accept any kind of refund or free procedures.

If you are truly waiting 3 to 6 more months before giving Dr. Hasson the opportunity to review your case, then please let me know. If this is the agreed upon decision, then I ask that you don't post anything related to your feelings related to the procedure until that time passes. That includes comments on this and other topics.

Understand that while I'm sure it's not your intention, you are almost literally tying Dr. Hasson's hands behind his back from doing anything to help you, much like the last 3 months. Thus, if you are not going to let him assess your result by flying to Vancouver now as you said you would, please refrain from posting anything related to a final assessment. Making statements like "I had a hair transplant with Dr. Hasson and I'm waiting for 3 to 6 months before making a final judgment" would be ok. Posting a new picture every month to update the community would be ok as well. But ongoing discussion of how upset you are and calling the hair transplant a failure when you've chosen to wait would not be fair.

I hope you understand what I'm saying here.

Bill

Hair transplant surgery is not an exact science however, it's 95% plus effective in the right surgeon's hands. I heard that a comment was made that hair transplant surgery is only 70% effective. This might be true in an inexperienced surgeon's hands, but Dr. Hasson and other Coalition members have a 95% success rate. It's truly unfortunate when someone falls in the bottom 5%. But reputable surgeons like Dr. Hasson, Dr. Wong and other recommended physicians have a very high success rate. God forbid something goes wrong, they stand behind their patients.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill, couple of things from my end:

1) I actually find myself agreeing with you somewhat, but the whole point of this forum is for posters to document their journey. Nothing wrong with Dutchie expressing his dissatisfaction with service being given, although he himself by admission can be too quick to the trigger at times, so makes sense for him to just reign it in for the next few months until the Dr is given a fair opportunity to evaluate what's wrong or what went wrong, if anything. Dutchie more than anything is just looking to us to support him, and it's prudent to let him to continue to document his progress here, whilst at the same time exercising a degree of restraint in his tone.

2) Even though Dutchie has agreed to fly out to Vancouver, I disagree that this is a necessity. At the 12 months mark, which is now, I don't see anything wrong with Dutchie calling it like it is. Furthermore, HD pictures should suffice for Dr Hasson to do an evaluation. He has Ferko touring the US, and I believe a rep in Toronto. Either can go to Dutchie and take his pictures or a video. I think Dutchie is just being extra diligent by waiting a few more months, and kudos to him, but I hardly think it's fair to handcuff him with restrictions. Like I said, he should reign it in a bit for now, but I think the restrictions are unfair. It's your castle though.

3) how did you get to 95% success rate? Do you have anything to substantiate that claim?

I think you would benefit greatly if you grew out your hair a bit longer. With any HT, you aren't going to get the density as your native hair, and HT only provides enough coverage per cm2 to create an illusion of a full head of hair.

Your hair at that length will obviously show more scalp than if it was a bit longer and the strands of hair can layer. Even with my results, I believe it would like more sparse if I had it the same length as yours.

Dutchie,

If you are truly waiting 3 to 6 more months before giving Dr. Hasson the opportunity to review your case, then please let me know. If this is the agreed upon decision, then I ask that you don't post anything related to your feelings related to the procedure until that time passes. That includes comments on this and other topics.

Understand that while I'm sure it's not your intention, you are almost literally tying Dr. Hasson's hands behind his back from doing anything to help you, much like the last 3 months. Thus, if you are not going to let him assess your result by flying to Vancouver now as you said you would, please refrain from posting anything related to a final assessment. Making statements like "I had a hair transplant with Dr. Hasson and I'm waiting for 3 to 6 months before making a final judgment" would be ok. Posting a new picture every month to update the community would be ok as well. But ongoing discussion of how upset you are and calling the hair transplant a failure when you've chosen to wait would not be fair.

I hope you understand what I'm saying here.

Bill

Thats fair. I will only post my monthly updates from now, and no more bitching.

To be fair though, I havent bitched in the last 30 days or so.

I'm also undergoing what seems like a late growth spurt, so I have at least some optimism back :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Dutchie,

I agree with the previous poster who suggested growing your hair longer on top...maybe scissor cut the top to 2.5 -3" and shorter 3 or 4 guard on the sides.

That said, I understand to being happy with the yield although very natural looking.

95% of my growth was done by 6-7 months, so IDK about more growth after 1 year.

What happened to the last series of posts?

I deleted them because I've been in contact with H&W and I've agreed with them to hold off any further comments until we both sit down and have dr. Hasson have a look at this whole thing.

Sometime in March is when I'll fly out to B.C.

Dutchie anad Stig,

Thanks for posting and asking what's going on. Stig, Dutchie removed his last posts because he agreed not to comment until Dr. Hasson has a chance to look at him in person. I removed your last post because it referenced the post from Dutchie that he had already removed.

Let's respect the decision for Dutchie to wait by holding off discussion of his hair transplant any further until he has a chance to visit Dr. Hasson in person.

Thanks for cooperating.

Bill

• 1 month later...

So guess what you filthy freaks, I changed shampoos and I'm actually starting to grow a lot more hair.

I'll explain later what happened, I just wanna give it a few more months. But so far so good :)

(there's an ingredient in some shampoos & conditioners that can stunt growth. I'll explain later)