4,200 grafts FUT dr. Hasson Feb. 03, 2016

Dutchie

Have you tried growing the top longer? at that length to have good visual density you would need like 9,000 grafts. Remember hair transplantation is all about blocking light from hitting the scalp, maybe try the slicked back look.

Any top down and crown shots you could share?

Growing the top longer than the sides doesnt work on people with naturally curly hair, it looks very strange and uneven.

And 9,000 grafts I dont have, I have maybe 3,000 left in the bank.

The most disturbing part is the midscalp and crown just arent coming through at all.

Only very sparse hairgrowth

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You didn't get any hairs transplanted in the crown, so why would you expect new growth in those areas.? From what I see, there is growth in the areas that were transplanted when you compare your results to the very first pics in page one.

You didn't get any hairs transplanted in the crown, so why would you expect new growth in those areas.?

I dont mean the actual crown, I mean the area between the crown and midscalp is hardly coming through

From what I see, there is growth in the areas that were transplanted when you compare your results to the very first pics in page one

Thats mostly frontscalp and partial midscalp

Here, the red box is where hair is barely coming through.

The green box has reasonably good growth.

Now keep in mind this is after 8 motnhs. I expected better growth near the crown (red box)

7c7920b0_o.jpeg

Growing the top longer than the sides doesnt work on people with naturally curly hair, it looks very strange and uneven.

And 9,000 grafts I dont have, I have maybe 3,000 left in the bank.

The most disturbing part is the midscalp and crown just arent coming through at all.

Only very sparse hairgrowth

do you have 3000 grafts with fut left? Or with fue?

• Administrators
Here, the red box is where hair is barely coming through.

The green box has reasonably good growth.

Now keep in mind this is after 8 motnhs. I expected better growth near the crown (red box)

7c7920b0_o.jpeg

This is the kind of photo we need to make a good assessment, I think it comes down to expectations, I agree with Spidey, looking at your pre-op photos you were completely bald except for the forelock, you have to remember that with fine hair caliber to achieve visual density it may take more grafts, I think another 2,000 grafts should improve things, I also think that the crown may have to be left as is or very light coverage if any. These are the realities of transplantation with advanced stages of hair loss.

I think you should be looking at things with a glass half full instead of half empty perspective. You look 100x better than you did before, are you perfect? No, but is there significant improvement? Yes. I'm almost positive that Dr. Hasson tapered down the density as he moved back towards the crown this is completely normal, I have less density towards the back too, that's what im going to get fixed in two weeks, remember dutchie your case was never going to be a one and done, you may need another two surgeries to achieve the desired result. However, thus far you have significant improvement you should feel good about.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

you have to remember that with fine hair caliber to achieve visual density it may take more grafts

What makes you think I have fine caliber hair?? I thought my caliber at 50 to 70 microns was average??

I also think that the crown may have to be left as is or very light coverage if any. These are the realities of transplantation with advanced stages of hair loss

This is why I was eying a part beardhair/part scalphair transplant for my crown.

But now Lorenzo has scared me off that :(

I have less density towards the back too, that's what im going to get fixed in two weeks, remember dutchie your case was never going to be a one and done, you may need another two surgeries to achieve the desired result. However, thus far you have significant improvement you should feel good about

That we can agree on. I think I might need 2 more after this one.

I was just expecting a bit more hair around the crown though. Its really, really thin right now

• Administrators
What makes you think I have fine caliber hair?? I thought my caliber at 50 to 70 microns was average??

This is why I was eying a part beardhair/part scalphair transplant for my crown.

But now Lorenzo has scared me off that :(

That we can agree on. I think I might need 2 more after this one.

I was just expecting a bit more hair around the crown though. Its really, really thin right now

50-70 is a broad range, if you're closer to 50 then you have fine hair, if you're closer to 70 then you have medium coarse hair. Just by looking at your hair I would say you're probably closer to 50 but that's just my guess.

The crown is something that may have to be left as is, even in my own case, these are just the realities.

4,200 grafts covered over a large area was never going to give full density, I think where your at right now is to be expected, especially since you mention your head is rather large, all of these things are variables, head size, hair caliber, hair texture, you have two things going for you that you're not taking advantage of:

1. Curly hair

2. White hair

Curly hair grown out would create more visual density because it would block light from reflecting off of the scalp, in addition the color contrast of white scalp and white hair is minimal so those are two things I would be taking advantage of if I were you, to be honest I know how to work with what I got, the way I style my hair and the length I keep it really makes a world of difference, you just need to find that sweet spot of style and length your current is not working to be honest.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

50-70 is a broad range, if you're closer to 50 then you have fine hair, if you're closer to 70 then you have medium coarse hair. Just by looking at your hair I would say you're probably closer to 50 but that's just my guess.

The crown is something that may have to be left as is, even in my own case, these are just the realities.

4,200 grafts covered over a large area was never going to give full density, I think where your at right now is to be expected, especially since you mention your head is rather large, all of these things are variables, head size, hair caliber, hair texture, you have two things going for you that you're not taking advantage of:

1. Curly hair

2. White hair

Curly hair grown out would create more visual density because it would block light from reflecting off of the scalp, in addition the color contrast of white scalp and white hair is minimal so those are two things I would be taking advantage of if I were you, to be honest I know how to work with what I got, the way I style my hair and the length I keep it really makes a world of difference, you just need to find that sweet spot of style and length your current is not working to be honest.

I got about 7,800 hairs (4,217 grafts) in an area of 120 cm2. That should give about 65 hairs per cm2 (or 35 grafts per cm2).

Right now I got nowhere close to that, especially not close to the crown.

I got 4 more months of growing left, so at least there's a tiny but of hope.

But this is not good growth for 8 months IMO

Do you know if you had them distributed evenly?

It might be 45 in the front and 25 in the back, which would lead to it looking thinner.

Either way you've had a fairly low density transplanted, so you'll need full maturation to really have much of a visual effect on top of growth.

Hi Dutchie,

I think your results are a massive improvement from where you started. 4,000 grafts over the area isn't going to give you very dense results, but still a huge improvement. Have you spoken to the clinic yet? I agree with what others have said, that the density was tapered towards the mid scalp to have a stronger hairline to frame your face. I think you have a good yield so far, but I hope it thickens to what you want. But I'm going to echo with what others are saying and say you've had a pretty good result given the density that was transplanted. 35 grafts per cm2 isn't dense at all, my procedure of 1860 grafts at my hairline is almost double that (60 grafts/cm2). But since you didn't have good laxity I'm sure that's the most that Dr. Hasson could have gotten in one sitting. Best of luck

Dutchie:

I believe it is too early for panic. According to the common knowledge shared on the discussion forums, 8 months only represents around 60% completion (as I understand it). This implies more growth in the future. Do try to minimize worry for now. Have you spoken with Dr. Hasson or a representative from Hasson & Wong?

Research, research, research!

Doctors I'm considering:

FUT:

-Feller

-Hasson

-Konior

Sorry Dutchie - it's not looking great, although to echo other posters, 4200 grafts spread out over such a large area just isn't going to give you what you expect. You will definitately need to factor in another pass to add density. With that being said, so far it's trending towards a disappointing result for Dr Hasson. Keep your head up mate

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the support.

Maybe by February things will grow denser, who knows.

The weird thing is in my 4th month I grew hair like really crazy, and then everything just stopped.

So now I'm getting paranoid again :eek: :o

• Administrators
I see a big difference between your NW6 result with 4000 grafts and this NW6 result with 4000 grafts.

Dutchie I hope this works out for you and you get a spurt of growth that makes you happy.

I think its unfair to compare results, there are different variables that come in to play, for one I have a small head so the area that needed to be covered was much smaller, I also have thicker hair, and I grow my hair out and style it in a way that gives the illusion of density.

Dutchie, I think taking a look at your pre-op photos would really help you asses your situation to see how far you've come, it's not good to compare results, as everyone grows at different times and have different characteristics, the important thing is that progress is being made. It's still just 8 months, the hair hasn't matured, hopefully you can grow your hair out a bit longer i think it would do wonders on your overall result.

View my thread

I think its unfair to compare results, there are different variables that come in to play, for one I have a small head so the area that needed to be covered was much smaller, I also have thicker hair, and I grow my hair out and style it in a way that gives the illusion of density.

Dutchie, I think taking a look at your pre-op photos would really help you asses your situation to see how far you've come, it's not good to compare results, as everyone grows at different times and have different characteristics, the important thing is that progress is being made. It's still just 8 months, the hair hasn't matured, hopefully you can grow your hair out a bit longer i think it would do wonders on your overall result

Thanks HTS, your posts are really helpful.

I like your honesty and perspective on things.

AFA growing my hair really long like you said, that doesnt work on curly hair guys like me. What happens is when I grow my hair long, I start looking like Krusty the Clown (trust me, I've tried). It just doesnt work. I look like a freak

687911950_small.jpg

What I'm really getting paranoid about is perhaps the tech girls didnt insert the grafts properly.

Or maybe the holding solution that temporarily holds the grafts while they're outside of the scalp was past its expiry date, and ruined most of the grafts.

This is what scares me, and what I'm getting paranoid aboot!!! :eek: :eek:

I need more vodka!!! :cool:

The only techs that do the implantation are the ones with like 15 years of experience right?

I guess you could also give temporary SMP a shot to see if it adds to the density appearance.

Also, change to beer instead, the estrogens will help your hair, lol.

Dutchie,

I would agree with what HTsoon says. The red box in the photos is where the density would be greatly reduced compared to the green box. This back part of the scalp always take longer to grow. I also think now is the time to grow it out.

None of the results that we perceive are good results on high norwoods are with hair length like yours the hair needs to be 2-3 inches to layer over one another. It will be tough with the type of hair that you have and you will most likely need to use some product to help do this.

Your hair is still maturing and will be even harder to style for the next few months until it settles down but you really need some length if you want to hide more of the scalp. Hopefully you have a lot of fine hair that is waiting to gain length and thicken up as your hair is white it will be harder to see.

Keep positive as I know you were really happy a few months back and I hope you will be in another few months.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.