After 10 years i am READY! How many Grafts do i need and how do we approach it.

I all,

I am finally ready to have my first HT! I have been an active member here and an independent researcher for my own benefit for over 1O years.

Quick stats about me:

35yo

current regime as per attached picture.

Minoxidil 5% (every night for over 14 years!) and a little at the front every morning to sort of sculpt my hairstyle.

Finasteride: 1.25 of a pill for the first 5 years, the reduced to 3 times a week for the past 6 or 7 years (1.25 of a pill) broken in 4. never experienced sides but like to be cautious hence the reduction)

Fish oil \ biotin vitamins \ cafeine shampoo daily and Nizoral 2% 2 or 3 times a week on the same day i take finasteride.

Very active and fit. :) hence use of vitamins for my joints etc. (contact sports)

Now,

Pleas watch my videos in order, 1, 2,3 so you can get a clear idea of where i am and where i want or can go.

Biggest fears.

Shock loss. (that i could end up worse after HT that i am now and no longer be able to hide my balding areas due to blood supply damage to existing hair which i hope to use to cover the procedure.

Considering: FUT (strip) over FUE. why? i just don't want to sacrifice grafts due to hair transgression when i never EVER had a buzz cut so the scar is not a big deal for me to hide. FUE only if a surgeon specifically tells me the benefits to my FUTURE. hair loss etc.

At 35yo i hope to have stabilised a little and hopefully have a better idea of what i really need to go with hair till am 50 or 60 :)

Would really like to hear from doctors. and senior members only. i respect everyone opinion but honestly we are at the real procedure status and i have been at this for over 10 years so respectfully, unless you are a surgeon or a very senior member like Spex etc. it wont really benefit me at all to hear what you heard or saw, because i have probably seen it too.

Cosidering:

DR Feller (US)

DR Phat (THAI)

DR Rassman or Diep

DR my country man in Madrid

I am from Australia and i have already dealt with all the "quality" surgeons here in person

that why i have saved with incredible effort to go abroad to obtain the best results.

Please let me know

How many grafts do you think i should go for first (remember i have a hair line so first is more completing and refilling) i think.

the crown.

Best way to avoid "shock loss" and disruption of blood supply to my precious (warriors) existing hairs.

Thank you so much in advance. and lets do this!!

OK, this thing wont let me upload the videos due to size! but ill try to put them on my profile or create a blog and share the link.

ANY suggestions on how load videos here they are like 1 and 2 minutes each?

WIN_20160207_18_13_47_Pro.thumb.jpg.690d4d44c3b51590b74b93e7f1f26aad.jpg

WIN_20160207_16_58_50_Pro.thumb.jpg.f66886eaa79050ad7073da69aff60fc9.jpg

Oh mate,

Sorry to tell you but you really need to do some serious reading around this forum, and others.

Long story short and as you can see here and every other network; the quality or surgeons in Australia. is just far inferior to everywhere else.

Proof of this is that charlatans and extremely bad scams like A&M or advance hair etc still make business here in OZ.

Use the local surgeons to get an idea of what you need. but price and quality you must go overseas.

as i said. this is a life changing procedure. and you dont want "good" you want excellent. they just dont have the experience, reputation and track record to compete with the surgeons here. and in other networks. again, do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

good luck and remember RESEARCH everything dont ever take anyone's word until you do your own reading.

• Administrators

The picture you posted of your crown is too far away, we need overhead shots to really see the problem areas, with that being said, if you want strip, I would put Konoir at the top of my list, H&W second, Rahal third, Dr. Diep did my surgery but I got FUE, Dr. Rassman is more of an oldschool surgeon like Bernstein and Beehner, I believe his practice focuses more on SMP now, Dr. Feller doesn't actually perform the surgery, it's mostly Dr. Bloxham although they both play roles in the surgery, it's mainly Dr. Bloxham. Since your in Australia have you considered European doctors like Bisanga and Feridunini I believe they both do strip.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Based on your pics, you don't need surgery at this time and I don't think it would be very beneficial to you.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

if you're dead set about going ahead with HT, which i really dont think you need to, being that im from australia as well, you need to take in the long haul return flights as major factor, from what i have read from other dudes from australia the most distance you should be looking at is Turkey, for me personally India was my limit, Post care can very tricky when flying, all matter of accidents can happen, fingers crossed they dont, but reducing your travel time is highly recommended.

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

the pictures are very deceiving guys... i get away with a lot due to light etc... videos comming up now.

the crown and top of the head areas are very ovious on day light and strong lighting...

ok guys videos here: thank you so much for your patience.

please watch in order 1. 2. 3. to gain better understanding.

also bare in mind i might need to do another one in day light as it really shows the bald areas.

https://youtu.be/kz8r8c1felw

https://youtu.be/braEgfKtkb4

https://youtu.be/kFM_3DiJoRc

thank you again guys...

I am also flattered to proof my point of how easy is to deceive about hair loss. just for the general public here...

guys always be very critical of before and after pictures from "salesman" etc. think of me as a reference. I can easily show bald spots on a picture and in 2 min cover them with concelier and scream miracle surgeon!!! always check

I was at one dr.s prectice once and a kid 21yo was in the waiting room all bandaged up for a follow up on his procedure! at 21!!! and had 3000 grafts (alleged) and asked me how many i got because it looked awesome...

I didn't tell him anything because in the ugly ducking stage he didn't need to hear that.

but thats the quality we have here in OZ unfortunately... there are other decent surgeons here i cant just write them all off. but i maintain my opinion and own personal research.

Based on your pics, you don't need surgery at this time and I don't think it would be very beneficial to you.

if you look at video number e at 3:25 you can see the biggest area. please note that the refection of the light is giving a fuller effect but the area is big and very clear in day light.

same as the crown it is well defined, note how the light reflect on my skin.

• Administrators

You have very minimal hair loss, me personally I wouldn't travel to the U.S. and go through all the hassle and down time to fix what you have, of course hair loss affects everyone differently, if you were to have anything, it would be maybe 1,500 grafts to strengthen the existing hairline and maybe fill in the temples and perhaps 500 grafts to the crown, but I mean I know this is coming from a guy who was almost completely bald, but I would kill to have the hair you have now, I don't think you need to go through everything just yet just my 0.2 cents.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Moderators

You are 36 years old and you have minimal hairloss. Did you think when you get to 90 you would still have the same amount of hair that you had when you were 16? Be realistic. Your hair looks great for 36 years old. I don't even know why you're using concealer. You act like the concealer is doing such a great job of covering everything. Well of course it is.... because there's hardly anything the concealer needs to cover! I wouldn't have known the difference. I haven't had that much hair since I was 16 years old.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Agree you don't need a transplant. Not sure if you need Finasteride or concealers either.

just stick to your obsession with 5% minox - its alot cheaper these days than 14 years ago,

Hi Joel,

I just found your thread and watched your videos. Thank you for taking the time to make these. Since you mentioned Dr Feller earlier -- as pointed out, I'm his partner and we do our procedures together -- I figured I would provide my opinion.

First, you're not crazy. I do see some of the thinning areas you're referring to. However, it is difficult to really pinpoint precisely what is happening and how much -- if any -- surgical intervention you may benefit from. I think this is caused by several factors: 1) Your adherence to preventive medications (which has obviously helped you to hang on to a lot) and 2) The characteristics of your surrounding hair -- which seem very strong and provide a lot of strategic camouflage, and you're clearly skilled at styling to minimize the thinning areas as well.

Having said all that ...

I think you have classic male pattern baldness that is more difficult to detect because of the reasons I've listed above. It looks like it started in the "corners" (fronto-temporal angles), moved slightly into the frontal scalp, merged towards the middle, left you with a more narrow hairline in the front (which seems to be slightly affected as well), and worked its way back into the mid-scalp. I see the most obvious thinning areas in the corners and middle of the scalp, so the above would be my best guess at what's going on. Again, never easy to tell in a video, and I think your case is a bit trickier too.

Now, should/can you do surgery?

Depends. Don't you just love that answer?

I think there could possibly be -- and I would really need to evaluate you in person to be sure -- three different approaches here: 1) Continue with the preventive medications; skip surgery for now; and see what happens in a few years because you are at a very unpredictable age for hair loss; 2) Undergo some small refinements (as I think someone suggested earlier) -- there is some merit to this approach, but sometimes these small "piecemeal" procedures can leave an unnatural appearance if you thin around the patches of transplant work (and you very well could); 3) Take a more aggressive approach and re-build and reinforce the frontal and anterior (closer to the front) portions of the mid-scalp. This would probably give you the look you're seeking, and also may be a good defensive strategy for thinning up the road. However, it is the most aggressive of all the plans, and I'd recommend undergoing a thorough evaluation with a doctor IN-PERSON before considering something like this.

Here's a video where Dr Feller describes a similar hair loss pattern to what I think you may have AND outlines a more aggressive/defensive (if that even makes sense) strategy he took towards the case:

I also probably wouldn't recommend anything in the crown right now. I do, however, agree with your thoughts on using FUT in this case. For frontal work of this nature, it is what I would have recommended as well.

Hope this is the type of feedback you were looking for. Again, nice work on the videos. Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

i love watching good old Allen on vids.... one day id love to have a beer with him...

First round is on us, Seth!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

First round is on us, Seth!

wow such deep pockets, business must be booming

• Administrators
wow such deep pockets, business must be booming

I can just imagine the anti-FUE rants he must get in to after a few cocktails, I'd fly out to New York just to see it rounds on me for feller and bloxham.

View my thread

Dear Dr. Blake, Would you please explain your rationale for suggesting FUT for such small a procedure ? (That said the question also remains if he really needs one). But I just wanted to understand why would some one go through FUT for such small a procedure. Appreciate if you could explain please ?

Hi Joel,

I just found your thread and watched your videos. Thank you for taking the time to make these. Since you mentioned Dr Feller earlier -- as pointed out, I'm his partner and we do our procedures together -- I figured I would provide my opinion.

First, you're not crazy. I do see some of the thinning areas you're referring to. However, it is difficult to really pinpoint precisely what is happening and how much -- if any -- surgical intervention you may benefit from. I think this is caused by several factors: 1) Your adherence to preventive medications (which has obviously helped you to hang on to a lot) and 2) The characteristics of your surrounding hair -- which seem very strong and provide a lot of strategic camouflage, and you're clearly skilled at styling to minimize the thinning areas as well.

Having said all that ...

I think you have classic male pattern baldness that is more difficult to detect because of the reasons I've listed above. It looks like it started in the "corners" (fronto-temporal angles), moved slightly into the frontal scalp, merged towards the middle, left you with a more narrow hairline in the front (which seems to be slightly affected as well), and worked its way back into the mid-scalp. I see the most obvious thinning areas in the corners and middle of the scalp, so the above would be my best guess at what's going on. Again, never easy to tell in a video, and I think your case is a bit trickier too.

Now, should/can you do surgery?

Depends. Don't you just love that answer?

I think there could possibly be -- and I would really need to evaluate you in person to be sure -- three different approaches here: 1) Continue with the preventive medications; skip surgery for now; and see what happens in a few years because you are at a very unpredictable age for hair loss; 2) Undergo some small refinements (as I think someone suggested earlier) -- there is some merit to this approach, but sometimes these small "piecemeal" procedures can leave an unnatural appearance if you thin around the patches of transplant work (and you very well could); 3) Take a more aggressive approach and re-build and reinforce the frontal and anterior (closer to the front) portions of the mid-scalp. This would probably give you the look you're seeking, and also may be a good defensive strategy for thinning up the road. However, it is the most aggressive of all the plans, and I'd recommend undergoing a thorough evaluation with a doctor IN-PERSON before considering something like this.

Here's a video where Dr Feller describes a similar hair loss pattern to what I think you may have AND outlines a more aggressive/defensive (if that even makes sense) strategy he took towards the case:

I also probably wouldn't recommend anything in the crown right now. I do, however, agree with your thoughts on using FUT in this case. For frontal work of this nature, it is what I would have recommended as well.

Hope this is the type of feedback you were looking for. Again, nice work on the videos. Feel free to ask any additional questions.

I can just imagine the anti-FUE rants he must get in to after a few cocktails, I'd fly out to New York just to see it rounds on me for feller and bloxham.

id bait our dear Dr Allen.... exposing my 4700 fue scars over a mojito or two..... it would be a great occasion one full of laughs on both sides...