how many grafts would I need?

Hi Guys,

I have attached a picture of the top of my scalp. Can you please give me an estimate from your experience of how many grafts I would need to get good scalp coverage? Would really appreciate your help.

Cheers!

edited.jpg.e9229b0bca2d3dd727bcfde4d2ec7e33.jpg

Just based on the approach of conservative donor management, you could do the front & top with 3600, but the crown should wait. You still have a large amount of hair, so don't attempt to replace all of the density that once existed.

Don't move too fast and too aggressively because you need to maintain the hair that you still have. Hair loss doesn't stop, but you can add the illusion of coverage by adding hair grafts. One procedure or two procedures won't stop further loss. Most importantly, do all possible acts to keep what you have on top.

Prioritize the areas where you want to focus your goals, and consider that you may not have enough donor hair to completely cover the entire thinning area. The crown is the last area to consider grafting as it will expand in the future.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• Administrators

You are a diffused thinner like me, you still have a lot of hair though, to be honest, I would do 2,500 grafts to the frontal third, be conservative, how old are you and are you on any meds?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks all for your replies.

@HTsoon : I am 30 and a few months into meds. I have been on Fin and Rogaine for about 5 months. I can already see some benefits from it. I think I have some regrowth and hair loss has completely stopped. I just see very few hair in the sink which I think is natural. Besides that I have been rotating between Nioxin 2 and Nizoral 1% shampoo. Both of them are pretty great and just give the scalp a good feeling, so I have continued with both.

I saw some of your pics and it seems like you have had an amazing HT, especially the results after the second one. Congratulations on a successful surgery.

We do seem to have a very similar hair loss pattern. I have a few questions for you

1. How many grafts did you get in your first surgery? And overall?

2. How many do you think I would need overall (split across multiple surgeries, including crown) to get results similar to yours :)

3. How many months after your first HT surgery did the hair started to grow?

Cheers!

• Administrators
Thanks all for your replies.

@HTsoon : I am 30 and a few months into meds. I have been on Fin and Rogaine for about 5 months. I can already see some benefits from it. I think I have some regrowth and hair loss has completely stopped. I just see very few hair in the sink which I think is natural. Besides that I have been rotating between Nioxin 2 and Nizoral 1% shampoo. Both of them are pretty great and just give the scalp a good feeling, so I have continued with both.

I saw some of your pics and it seems like you have had an amazing HT, especially the results after the second one. Congratulations on a successful surgery.

We do seem to have a very similar hair loss pattern. I have a few questions for you

1. How many grafts did you get in your first surgery? And overall?

2. How many do you think I would need overall (split across multiple surgeries, including crown) to get results similar to yours :)

3. How many months after your first HT surgery did the hair started to grow?

Cheers!

Thanks for the kind words

my first surgery I got 1,850 grafts about an inch behind my hairline reaching just before the crown, my second surgery I got 2,120 grafts to the hairline so overall I got about 4,000 grafts.

You have a lot more hair than I did, unfortunately for me I don't tolerate fin so I just have minoxidil,dermaroller and Nizoral to maintain, I think you would need about 2,500-2,800 to the frontal third/midscalp, I would hold off on the crown, you're taking fin and only for 5 months, so in the next 6-7 months you might actually experience some regrowth and not even need an additional surgery.

my first surgery the hair started to grow at 6 months, the true result became noticeable around 8 months, the second surgery i've noticed the growth has been better and yield has been better, I noticed the growth at 3.5 months, and now im at 6.5 months and its superseded my expectations I thought this is what I would look like at 12 months. It just goes to show that growth can be different for each surgery and sometimes your lucky and sometimes you just gotta be patient.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Your objective should be to maintain the amount of existing hair and hair quality. Reduce the effects of miniaturization so that you keep as much hair volume as possible.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...