Been wearing since two years, Ask Me Anything

GoodFella

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Karen81 said:

Do you know if I can get a hair system after a hair transplant? Just for the shedding phase.

I really wouldn’t advise on this.

Think of your scalp as a field in which you need to keep as healthy and as conditioned as possible in order for the crops to grow - the shedding phase is an unfortunate yet crucial part of the journey, so by glueing a wig to your scalp, you may constrict blood flow, damage the scalp, and generally provide an unhealthy environment for newly positioned grafts who are trying to find their feet in the new environment. 

A lot of clinics don’t even allow buzzing down the hair for quite a few months in the event of causing any form of trauma. 

I have zero medical background, but I imagine most doctors would strongly advise against. 

My close friend has a hair system from Hair Club and he paid 3500 for the initial install and 300 per month for ongoing service - they wash the system 1-2 times and every third visit, he gets a new one. The messy glue in the hairline in CLEARLY visible and they do a horrible job on the hairline - This is the result after spending 3500 USD and 3600 USD per year for maintenance. 

Edited by Panamera13

I paid £300 for my current piece and had it cut in in October 2019 - even with lock down its over a year daily wear. No shedding and looks as fresh as paint Honestly, these clubs sound a right rip off of the vulnerable

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 6:08 PM, Curious25 said:

I really wouldn’t advise on this.

Think of your scalp as a field in which you need to keep as healthy and as conditioned as possible in order for the crops to grow - the shedding phase is an unfortunate yet crucial part of the journey, so by glueing a wig to your scalp, you may constrict blood flow, damage the scalp, and generally provide an unhealthy environment for newly positioned grafts who are trying to find their feet in the new environment. 

A lot of clinics don’t even allow buzzing down the hair for quite a few months in the event of causing any form of trauma. 

I have zero medical background, but I imagine most doctors would strongly advise against. 

Thank you for advice! 

• 1 year later...
On 4/14/2021 at 11:58 AM, Panamera13 said:

My close friend has a hair system from Hair Club and he paid 3500 for the initial install and 300 per month for ongoing service - they wash the system 1-2 times and every third visit, he gets a new one. The messy glue in the hairline in CLEARLY visible and they do a horrible job on the hairline - This is the result after spending 3500 USD and 3600 USD per year for maintenance. 

They quoted me $1600 for the initial piece. The one good part about them in my opinion is their multiple locations that they have in the two places that I'll be spending the next 10 years in. With their expertise at the location near my house and the couple people I have seen walk in for maintenance where I had no idea they were wearing a piece, I am considering them. What location did your friend go to? Also, did he switch to an independent salon later? I'm willing to pay the right price for the best service/product possible but don't know if I should trust independent salons vs Hairclub which has a lot of experience. Thank you in advance.

• Wow 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/17/2016 at 6:36 AM, GoodFella said:

My system was like HD02. Hair is attached to the system is by knotting. They knot 2-3 strands of hair together. So even though it says freestyle you won't get the perfect free style look. If you just want a fringe/ bangs kind of hairstyle with all hairs moved forward and comb it in one direction (like Justin Beiber) then this would definitely work. But it won't be free like other systems where you can get more variety of hairstyles. That is why choosing the style before ordering is important for e.g. Flatback, Left part, right part, etc. You will never be able to achieve flatback look with conventional hair systems. I would recommend to go for freestyle only.

I also don't know if skin front will help you or not or just complicate things more. I personally can't see it providing any benefit in conventional hair systems. The thing is poly perimeter in monofilament top is little bit thicker compared to other hair systems. So you will be ordering density on higher side and not exposing any hairline. So skin top won't make any difference.

There are several ways in which you can attach the conventional hair system to the skin. Glue/Tape/Both Glue and tape. They have varieties of those for daily wear, weekly wear and extended wear. How long will they hold depends on your body chemistry and you won't find it out until you try it. I used a combination of Tape and Glue and it gave me 2-3 weeks of hold. The method is taking the tape and attaching it to the poly base near the edges. Glue goes in your scalp. You don't cover the full scalp but just the perimeter. Let the glue air dry for 10-12mins or 2-3 mins under hairdryer. But you have to be careful that your bio hair doesn't come in contact with the glue. Then you attach the hair system.

Products I used

Walker Ultra Hold Glue

Ultrahold Tape Mini Tabs

Pro Touch No Sweat- This is amazing. It works in a way which makes your sweat less on the scalp. So your attachment lasts longer.

C22 solvent- cleaner.

Lace Release Spray- Works on poly just fine to remove your attachment.

As for getting the 2nd hair system to expose your hairline, do also note that there will be changes in appearance once you move switch from conventional to full lace. If someone wants to notice it then they will. But if you will be keeping a new hairstyle then you can pass it. So you need to give some more thought on this. Your lace should last for 3 months atleast provided you give good care. You look for thin skin systems as well because they are pretty easy to attach and detach.

Hairdirect is fantastic website and got great information. But their systems are overpriced. They basically demand premium for having hair techs, fancy website and very prompt customer service. But its like buying the same product from either a high end mall or a factory outlet located several miles away from the city. I use hair direct to get all my supplies but order system from somewhere else.

Hi 

I'm totally new to all of this, in fact I just ordered my very first hair system and I'm looking at getting it cut now but anyway can I just confirm I'm right in saying you use a lace with poly base and you use glue on the lace and tape on the poly around the edges of the base or have I got the wrong?

Also how long would that type of system last you if maintained well throughout?

I opted for a thin skin base for my first one 0.08mm but I'm kind of regretting that now as I read they only last maybe a month or two 

On 4/14/2021 at 5:01 PM, grincher said:

I paid £300 for my current piece and had it cut in in October 2019 - even with lock down its over a year daily wear. No shedding and looks as fresh as paint Honestly, these clubs sound a right rip off of the vulnerable

Hi grincher 

Can I ask who you use to get it cut in please? I need to get my first hair system cut

48 minutes ago, grincher said:

I was using a chap first in the West End then West London for few years but he's moved on out of my travelling area.

Since then Ive learned to cut my own pieces given a style I picked

Oh ok thanks anyway

Most that I contact in the north west are saying they only cut and fit the systems that they provide but that's a £500+ package with all of them then

I purchased my system for £190 so if I could get it cut in by somebody then I'm making a decent savings then

I have seen prices for the cut in from £70 to 150 - according to postings. They should give you an idea of where you should be.

Once I went to a barber I had visited previously for blending. I chatted with him about the next piece cutting in. He did the cut in. It wasnt as good as a pro but not too bad. The benefit was it was cheap at a time when I couldn't find anyone. Not something I would recommend if you both new but something to think about later down the line

7 minutes ago, grincher said:

I have seen prices for the cut in from £70 to 150 - according to postings. They should give you an idea of where you should be.

Once I went to a barber I had visited previously for blending. I chatted with him about the next piece cutting in. He did the cut in. It wasnt as good as a pro but not too bad. The benefit was it was cheap at a time when I couldn't find anyone. Not something I would recommend if you both new but something to think about later down the line

These guys got back to me and are only 35min drive away

£120 they said to fit and cut . They asked for £60 up front deposit over the phone and £60 once arrive for the appointment

https://www.hairsystemsmanchester.com/

What do you think of these guys and have you heard of them?

Never heard of them and never come across the need of a deposit plus full payment upfront.

You should ask around and google for reviews.

On their website it says fittings from £40 - I guess thats excl cut in.