Been wearing since two years, Ask Me Anything

GoodFella

Hello,

I remember I came to this website as a lurker when I started experiencing hair loss. I was immediately sold to the idea of Hair transplant. But as I kept reading I changed my mind and went through hair systems route. The decision didn't come overnight. It was 15months+ of reading stuff, watching youtube videos, exchanging emails with vendors, customers, etc. One thing I avoided was going to an establishment because they will be biased.

As we know, this forum is mostly dedicated to transplant so the information available here about hair system is limited. I would like to help anybody who is evaluating this option. I am not here to represent any company so I won't be mentioning any company's name in public. PM me if you need some information regarding that.

So, I have been wearing hair since two years. I consider myself nowhere near to be an expert. I am still learning everyday. I still lurk several forums once a month of so to see if anything new is available.

You can ask me anything you want. I will give you my honest and unbiased answer. I know wearing isn't for everybody so I won't say things like go for it, it will change your life and so on. I just have one request. Please don't ask me for pic. I know some people in real life who are members here and it just takes one to recognise the pic and everybody will come to know. So far none of the people know I wear hair.

• Like 1

I have a question on that very last point. Do you genuinely believe that absolutely no-one can tell or suspects you wear a system?

Undetectability and comfort are the two major concern every person will have. One can even let go the comfort thing but it will be pretty meaningless if someone can tell that you have something on.

Wearing hair system is all smoke and mirrors. Its not your real hair. What you are trying to do i pass it as your real hair. If you are 50year old and go out with a Justin Bieber hairstyle then obviously its a dead giveaway. If you have been bald for many years and go to work with a full head of hair and imagine people won't notice then it is not gonna happen.

Hairsystems have evolved in last few years. Several years back the options were limited. It was mostly a case of either you take it or leave it. But now you can choose exactly what you want. The biggest issue with this is knowing the difference of what you want and what you need. This won't come overnight. It will take some research and understanding.

Technology has come to a stage where the systems base have been reduced down to 97% to match your skin color. So it looks like the hair is growing right out of your head. Yes it takes some effort to maintain it. Its not like you put on a system and forget about it for weeks. But its not like you are spending hours daily on it. As time progresses the time spent on your hair reduces as well. It becomes part of daily routine. It comes to you naturally.

Imagine you are talking to a person and you have a funny hat on top. Wont his/her eyeballs go to your hat? Isn't it difficult to notice that she is looking at that specific thing? Same goes for wearing a hair system. If you are wearing and people know it then they will constantly trying to look at it to reassure themselves. This thing has never ever happened to me. Not once in these two years.

Now say you are wearing some freak clothing. You enter into a restaurant. Wont you notice people looking at you and talking amongst themselves? Same goes for hair system because its not socially acceptable. Once again this has never ever happened to me.

When I stated wearing I would look for reassurances everywhere. I was travelling for my work. After my meeting I was sitting at the hotel bar. It was just me and the bartender. We were randomly talking. I asked him if he can tell if anything is wrong with my appearance. He studied me for a minute and said everything seems okay. I told him I am wearing a wig. He couldn't believe it.

Hi GoodFella,

Thanks for your post and giving me an opportunity to post a question. I am 22 yo guy from Australia and I have been losing my hair since I was 17. I've been on Propecia and Rogaine since I was 19 and have been using toppik more recently. However i have been losing ground on these treatments and started researching alternatives. Given my aggressive hair loss, hair systems seem to be the best solution for me.

I was interested in how you made the transition to a hair system without anyone knowing (assume you did)? This is one of my biggest fears that people will know that I've done something and I wanted to keep the transition a secret.

Also will I able to play sports while wearing the system? IS there anything special I would need to do to maintain the security of the system?

Thanks

Hi Jack,

A young guy losing hair is horrible. I can say this because I noticed my hair thinning and loss at 20. I am in mid 20s now. I know how important hair is for someone who takes cares for his appearance. People say go bald, but bald isn't for everybody. There can't be many jason statham or bruce willis in this world.

I will give you my little back story so you can understand my transition. Hair has been my strongest personality trait. I had very thick and healthy bio hair. I was one of those guys who could pick a hairstyle out from the magazine and go to a hairdresser. I had experimented with countless of hairstyles, a lot of products and always thanked my stars for being blessed with such good hair. But it changed so much in one year. I could see hair everywhere after my bath. My then GF complained that I needed to clear the shower area properly because hair would be lying everywhere. My sides were fine and healthy, the crown area and hairlines had extreme thinning and hairloss.

Like every guy who experiences hairloss for the first time, I ran to a professional dermatologist. Payed some good money to do stupid treatments and take medicines which did no good. I decided that I want to go for transplant so I started reading here and there. I discovered concealers. It worked pretty well to cover any thinning area. Even tough it made it look like I have full head of hair, I no longer could get the desired hairstyle.

Not having hairstyle of my choice wasn't something I was ready to accept. Even if hair transplant would work it will never give me thick and silky hair. I could have easily pulled the concealers off for several more years but I didn't want to live my prime compromising on appearance. I had just started earning money, I was travelling places, I was meeting people, I was out celebrating. This was my prime reason to reject hair transplant and search for alternatives.

I initially started working in finance. My job was mostly interacting with 5 people face to face in the office and international banks over the phone. So I had freedom to be casual on my appearance. When I was 90% certain that I am going for hair systems and what initial style I would be keeping, I decided to make it look like I had change in hairstyle and nothing else. I wanted to keep a medium bangs hairstyle. This style I had kept in 1st year of my uni and it suited me well. It didn't make me look funny or childish. So 3months before I wanted to get the system attached I used concealers and kept a slick buckbrush hairstyle (all gelled and weighed down). My front hairline didn't look good but this had to be done in order to make successful transition. So when I got my hair system attached and came out with nice blow-dried, thick silky bangs hairstyle, people just complemented that this hairstyle suits me better. No one could see my hairline. My sides were still mine and no one even remembers how the crown area was. Even though I had customised my system so that crown area is still little thin to make it appear very natural. My friends, family has seen me keeping different hairstyles throughout my life so this wasn't anything surprising to them. I had told my mother before going for system so only she knows. Not one single person at work or streets looked me in funny way with smirk on the face. Moreover I wore it with confidence even though I kept my eyes wide open to see if I get any unusual stares.

Once I got used to wearing and maintaining hair, experimenting with few bases, adhesives, tapes, cleaners, etc I took more and more bolder steps towards exposing my hairline. From full bangs to side brush to freestyle pompadour to full exposing hairline, I have kept it all. I moved job and got to a role where more client interaction is necessary. So I no longer could go with casual bangs kind of hairstyle. So right now I am settled on a system where I can expose my hairline as well as keep forward bangs. This way I can reduce the maintenance time and if I am meeting someone I can quickly brush my hairstyle little back so it looks decent. This is basically what hairstyle I want right now. Bangs is by far my favourite because its suits me and as so it happens, its the easiest to pull off when it comes to hair systems.

Now comes the activity part. I go to gym 5 times a week and swim 2 times a week. All this while I wear my system. I swim wearing a cap because chlorine isn't good for your hair. I travel for my work and pleasure as well. I don't play any sports but I run on treadmill and sometimes outside if my buddy wants to go for a jog. I have never ever had any problems with hair system falling off. Even if someone pulls it, it won't come out. He/ She must need extreme hard pull and it will tear the system but will never leave your head. Thats how advanced the gules are today.

But yes all this comes with a price. That is putting extra efforts to ensure you are maintaining your system and attachment. The way I see it, you go to gym and work your ass off. You stay off pizza and eat stupid salad instead. You drink green tea and avoid ordering a mocha in a cafe. Why? because you need to maintain certain appearance. Same effort is required. How long hold time, how much time you need to put in maintenance, etc only depends upon you and your body chemistry.

From the people I have spoken to, some guys put hair and can forget about its maintenance for 3-4weeks. They just wash it once every week and spray leave on conditioner to make it look healthy throughout. They are lucky to have such good body chemistry which gives them this long gold. So and hour or two per month is all it takes for them to keep maintain their hair. Then you have some people who do this weekly. So for them an hour or two per week. For me its little different. Right now I am attaching it daily. I am single right now so have the whole place to myself. So once I am back from work and have no plans to go out, I just remove my hair. I sometimes just go to gym wearing a cap. None suspects anything. Now you would think attaching daily is a pain. But no, its the easiest. I am using a gel which is used to style hair for my attachment. It gives extremely good hold and won't come off till you get water on your head. The easiest part is application. You apply the gel on your head like you are applying to your bio hair. Then you place the system on top and give it few minutes. It gets attached. After shower, it takes me 15-20mins to attach and style my hair. If I have plans for the weekend or I am travelling then I go for a different adhesive and it easily gives me 10day hold.

I will completely ignore the price point right now. If you would like to know about this then I will be happy to elaborate on this as well. But first you have to decide if maintenance is something you are ready to spend time and effort on. Undetectability is only in your hands. People will only look at you in a funny way if there is something wrong in your appearance. A naive eye will never be able to figure out that you are wearing a system. However few things you have to be careful. For e.g. during sex if a girl tried to touch you hair just make some excuses like you don't like it when someone touches your hair. They won't be able to tell if they touch it accidentally. Only if then keep rubbing their hand on your edges then only they will come to know. I never had any problems once I politely interrupt a girl.

Last thing I would say, reading and researching is one part. Experiencing is completely another. It will take you some trial and error to get your routine perfect. It won't come easily. I remember spending my first sunday attaching and reattaching the system. But once you figure out it becomes part of your life.

• Thanks 1

I can see why you've gone down that road, but I'm essentially far too lazy to ever try a hair piece. Another question: say you got serious with a girl - at which point would you tell her, or would you let her figure it out for herself? Or would you evade or deny even if she asks outright?

I can see why you've gone down that road, but I'm essentially far too lazy to ever try a hair piece. Another question: say you got serious with a girl - at which point would you tell her, or would you let her figure it out for herself? Or would you evade or deny even if she asks outright?

This is something which I haven't figured it out yet. But I will definitely tell her. I am not someone who has a target in mind like get married by 28 and have kids by 30. When the right girl comes and I know she is the one I will tell her before proposing. But unless its serious there is no point in telling a girl. When or if you break up she has a very strong secret to publicly shame you, lol.

As you confessed you are lazy, then definitely this is something not for you. Because like I said previously effort is required. So its good that you are true to yourself and not lying just to make this work. I have read about experiences where guys just try this out of immense curiosity and pics posted but when it comes to maintenance they just can't keep up with it.

When the right girl comes and I know she is the one I will tell her before proposing.

"Sandy, there' something I've been meaning to tell you. Something real important and personal to me. Something I've hidden for far too long and that you have a right to know if we're to become even more intimate and a build a loving home, family and life together. Sandy - I'm bald."

*Pause for reaction*

"Now..."

*Gets down on one knee*

(I know you didn't mean literally before you propose - the idea just made me laugh).

"Sandy, there' something I've been meaning to tell you. Something real important and personal to me. Something I've hidden for far too long and that you have a right to know if we're to become even more intimate and a build a loving home, family and life together. Sandy - I'm bald."

*Pause for reaction*

"Now..."

*Gets down on one knee*

(I know you didn't mean literally before you propose - the idea just made me laugh).

hahahhaa,

I guess will purchase a big diamond ring just to be sure, lol

Hi GoodFella,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Do you have any regrets in making the move to a hair system. Your reply has really got me thinking I will need to get a system ASAP.

Thanks again mate. Very much appreciate your guidance.

Hi GoodFella,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Do you have any regrets in making the move to a hair system. Your reply has really got me thinking I will need to get a system ASAP.

Thanks again mate. Very much appreciate your guidance.

No regrets because I had put in a lot of time in research and it gave me the desired results. So it wasn't like I was expecting A and I got Z. I will recommend you to start reading about people's experiences. I will also suggest couple of youtube channels like Philip Osmond and Hair Solution. They have some video of fit ins so you can see the results for yourself.

Some basic newbie mistakes that you should avoid

- Density: Don't go too overboard. Even if you are 22 keep it real. Medium light or medium will be best.

- Style: Initially choose a very simple one. Let people get used to see you having hair. Then start talking little bolder steps.

- Avoid expensive clubs: This is by far the biggest newbie mistake. They think its best to go to a professional who is in this business since years because of their experience. But this isn't a law firm. Moreover these expensive clubs are some who have some worst systems in their stock. Its best to buy online and find a stylist in your area. Your supplier will definitely know few stylists in that area who does the cut in.

- Learn about bases: This is most important. If you end up ordering wrong base then your experience will have a bad start. Every base fulfils a different purpose. You can seek recommendations but only you know which one will be best for you. Once again you won't get it right the first time. It took me 1 year to find a base which suits best to my need.

- Wear it with confidence: I spoke to a guy who wore a system and didn't leave house for the whole weekend. He then went into work wearing a hat. If you look tensed and keep dropping hints then you are making yourself uncomfortable. Then again I spoke to a bald guy who wore a system and went out with confidence. He told his friends he has been taking medicine. Obviously a lie and his friends knew this so they joked how he is wearing a wig. He challenged them saying this is not a wig. You are welcome to pull it. If you are able to take it out I will give you $100. If you hurt me while pulling I am gonna kick you in the nuts. That topic was never brought up again. This doesn't change the fact that both were wearing a wig. Its just your level of confidence which will ultimately sell it as your own hair.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi GoodFella,

I wanted to ask few questions so i can be more informed about choosing right hair system.

I'm 22 but my hair is so thin that you can see full scalp area through so i use toppik to cover that mess up, but i want to get off from that sprinkling s*it, and my dream is that most of the days in the week i just do the shower and rub a towel against my hair for 10 seconds and just go outside in a hot summer day or rainy day, whatever, instead of spending 30 minutes truing to cover my baldness best as i can, concerned that every wrong move, touch or raindrop will expose my whole scalp.

I don't understand a few things about hair system bases, and one of them is their durability. I know there are different types and all of them have different duration, but i don't understand how exactly they expire? When on the site they say that this hair system base lasts for 3 mounts and this another 5, what does that mean? Should i just throw it after that amount of time? It can not run out of power logic says to me. What happen to it after 3-5 mounts and what if i wear it longer than that? How often do you change it and how much your last? And of course which base do you use and why you have chosen that particular? If you can be precise about those questions i would be so grateful. I was compering Full Lace Base Systems and Lace Front Base Systems with Conventional Base Systems on the internet, but i need answers from someone who has already done it and has experience with that stuff. On the internet you have no opportunity to touch, feel on your skin, and compare those different materials, so i don't know what to choose. I would go with those that are more durable( whatever they mean by that), and hairstyle i would wear will cover hairline, not because i'm scared to expose it but because i want that hairstyle and i can't have it with my natural hair that is left.

And also, how often does hair fall out from base, after which amount of time there is noticeable that there is no such amount of hair that has been when hair system is purchased.

So, in short sentences, please try explain to me that durability paradox and help me choose base that will fit me the most, and thanks.

Edited by LotsOfChestnuts

Hi LotsOfChestnuts,

When you talk about base durability, it basically mean the wear and tear. Which would mainly include hair shedding and the amount of time your base remains intact. There are several different ways in which hairs are attached to a base i.e. Knotting, injection and looping. This is called ventilation. There are sub categories to this as well for e.g. V Looping. So the method how hair is attached to a base is determined by the base. Injection would be possible in thick base. and holds pretty well. Looping is done on delicate base and isn't that strong enough. Other factors like density also plays an important role in deciding what kind of ventilation you want.

Q: How to know how long will the base last

A: The lifespan on most of the websites are average. You may get 30-40days more or less depending on how you maintain it. You will start seeing noticeable difference when you do the attachment. Your hair system will look different, shedding will happen, base will look worn out, etc. So to avoid detectability you should not continue wearing it and throw it away. Don't worry, it won't be like one day it will look excellent and on 2nd day it will look horrible. You will be able to notice your system going bad and will be able to judge for yourself.

How often do you change it and how much your last?

Right now I am using a 0.03mm thin skin system and 0.06mm skin system. Like on weekends I know I won't be exposing my hairline so I shift to 0.06mm. 0.03mm's life span varies from person to person. Average life span for 0.03mm is said to be 45days. Average life span of 0.06mm is said to be 3 months. With rotating both the hair systems I can get 5-6months in total out of them.

And of course which base do you use and why you have chosen that particular?

My first system was a conventional mono filament base. I went for thick hair density and wasn't exposing my hairline. I choose this base for one reasons mainly ie. its toughness. I knew learning about maintenance would take sometime. I didn't wanted to get a delicate base and spoil it. This doesn't happen and I was wrong in this. Even if you take a semi delicate hair system you should be fine. This base lasted me good 7-8 months. It was even fine after that I just switched things up. Could have easily got an year with it.

Like I mentioned above I am using 0.03mm and 0.06mm skin system. As I am now used to maintenance and wearing, I was able to handle the most delicate system out there i.e. 0.03mm. The appearance of hairline is extremely good. It looks like hair is coming out of your forehead. The base is paper thin. The drawback is its not breathable because it covers your full scalp. But because the system is so light you don't even feel that anything is on your head. But the best thing is its extremely easy to attach, remove and wash. With many hair systems you have to use glue and tapes. With 0.03mm tape won't work. It will tear the base. So only glue can be applied. But there is a hairgel out in the market which works great for daily attachment. Its called got2b glued. Just spread the gel on your scalp and put the hair system on top and you are done. To de attach it, just hop under shower and its detached. For longer attachments like when I am going for business trip or holidays or weekends where I might bring a girl or end up in her place, I use a glue which lasts for about 10days. However I remove it in 4-5 days. Its pretty comfortable as well. I just like daily attachment more because my scalp can breathe at night.

Full Lace Base Systems and Lace Front Base Systems with Conventional Base Systems.

I am not sure what the site means when it says conventional base systems. Some call conventional monofilament and some call it poly and some call both conventional. But conventional systems are a thing of past. Yes the advantage is that its most durable. As you are 22 and don't want to expose hairline, this base will work extremely well for you provided you blend it well during cut in. With conventional hair system it looks real only when density is high. You cant pass it as your own hair with light density. It will just look odd.

Full Lace is for someone who wants the most realistic appearance with light density. The maintenance is bit hard compared to other bases. The big advantage is that the whole scalp is breathable. Durability is obviously less.

Lace Front Base Systems. This is something which is extremely popular and I guess most common out of all. The hairline is made of lace so it gives natural front appearance and the rest is a mix. You can choose if you want poly on the sides and top or skin on the perimeters, etc. These are little detectable to touch because of mix in the bases. But cleaning and attaching becomes simple.

What I fear here is I don't know how your hair looks currently. So if I suggest you conventional just on the bases of durability and style you are looking for then it would not be correct. With conventional you will be getting pretty dense hair. Think of Justin Bieber with his bangs/ fringe hairstyle. Will that density work for you? A 22 year old can definitely have that kind of hair and its perfectly normal, but you know your situation better. This will also be easily detectable to touch.

My suggestion to you would be don't worry too much about durability initially. Get a lace front system. Let people see you having dense hair and then move to a conventional system for durability. Just remember one thing, in conventional you will never be able to expose any hairline.

How often does hair fall out from base?

Completely comes down to maintenance and the type of ventilation you choose. Hairs will indeed shed on regular bases and will gradually make the system unwearable. Using good leave in conditioner, not over shampooing or conditioning, using brush of wide tooth comb, sleeping on satin pillowcase, not stretching the base, cleaning as softly as possible, using knot sealers, etc will make the system last longer. With conventional hair system and heavy density you won't need to worry about a lot of these things. Even with good hair shedding you can still get great durability. But when it comes to systems like 0.03mm you need to be careful. Little extra pull and you will tear the base. Also 0.03mm has v looped hair. So its more prone to shedding and is least durable amongst hair systems.

If you think I missed anything or you have any additional questions then do let me know. Will be more than happy to answer.

Hi GoodFella,

Thank you so much for answering my questions and for your time, i really appreciate that. Like you did i would also definitely first go for durability instead of front appearance, even though nylon looks pretty shitty in compare to lace. I was thinking also to order lace or front lace system at the same time and wear it about once or twice a week in order to occasionally expose hairline to the outside world, and also in hope for them to last much much longer than 45 days, would that be a case if i wear it maximum twice a week? I'll show you what i've found about Conventional Bases on the internet:

Nylon and Polyurethane Base Hair Replacement Systems by Hair Direct

this one looks like a pretty good deal for what i'm looking for, but i don't understand what this Poly-Coated means and how is hair attached on that and what's the best way for that material to be attached on a skin, i tried to translate it but google translate gave me nonsense translation on my language.

This HD13 up in the row looks for me like a safer version of HD02 because it has attached thin skin on front of that poly-coated thing, so, please help, i'm stuck in a crossroad between those two.

Can you tell me which one of conventional did you have if it's in this row? Because you said it could easily go up to one year and that's just fantastic lifespan i need.

My system was like HD02. Hair is attached to the system is by knotting. They knot 2-3 strands of hair together. So even though it says freestyle you won't get the perfect free style look. If you just want a fringe/ bangs kind of hairstyle with all hairs moved forward and comb it in one direction (like Justin Beiber) then this would definitely work. But it won't be free like other systems where you can get more variety of hairstyles. That is why choosing the style before ordering is important for e.g. Flatback, Left part, right part, etc. You will never be able to achieve flatback look with conventional hair systems. I would recommend to go for freestyle only.

I also don't know if skin front will help you or not or just complicate things more. I personally can't see it providing any benefit in conventional hair systems. The thing is poly perimeter in monofilament top is little bit thicker compared to other hair systems. So you will be ordering density on higher side and not exposing any hairline. So skin top won't make any difference.

There are several ways in which you can attach the conventional hair system to the skin. Glue/Tape/Both Glue and tape. They have varieties of those for daily wear, weekly wear and extended wear. How long will they hold depends on your body chemistry and you won't find it out until you try it. I used a combination of Tape and Glue and it gave me 2-3 weeks of hold. The method is taking the tape and attaching it to the poly base near the edges. Glue goes in your scalp. You don't cover the full scalp but just the perimeter. Let the glue air dry for 10-12mins or 2-3 mins under hairdryer. But you have to be careful that your bio hair doesn't come in contact with the glue. Then you attach the hair system.

Products I used

Walker Ultra Hold Glue

Ultrahold Tape Mini Tabs

Pro Touch No Sweat- This is amazing. It works in a way which makes your sweat less on the scalp. So your attachment lasts longer.

C22 solvent- cleaner.

Lace Release Spray- Works on poly just fine to remove your attachment.

As for getting the 2nd hair system to expose your hairline, do also note that there will be changes in appearance once you move switch from conventional to full lace. If someone wants to notice it then they will. But if you will be keeping a new hairstyle then you can pass it. So you need to give some more thought on this. Your lace should last for 3 months atleast provided you give good care. You look for thin skin systems as well because they are pretty easy to attach and detach.

Hairdirect is fantastic website and got great information. But their systems are overpriced. They basically demand premium for having hair techs, fancy website and very prompt customer service. But its like buying the same product from either a high end mall or a factory outlet located several miles away from the city. I use hair direct to get all my supplies but order system from somewhere else.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi GoodFela,

That is a really helpful thread. I read all messages. I am from Afghanistan. I have read much on this forum about hair restoration. Transplant was my first option, but then, after having read about them, I thought it was not for me. I now think of wearing a hear system. I have by far more problems here. The products that you easily find at market, are not available here. For such a long time, I have been wondering as to where should I go. I think, i will be required to purchase hair system online. but from whom? that is my main question. would you tell me where should i purchase the system from? I think, i will go for lase front base system. Who is the best supplier? What is the cost?

Hi GoodFela,

That is a really helpful thread. I read all messages. I am from Afghanistan. I have read much on this forum about hair restoration. Transplant was my first option, but then, after having read about them, I thought it was not for me. I now think of wearing a hear system. I have by far more problems here. The products that you easily find at market, are not available here. For such a long time, I have been wondering as to where should I go. I think, i will be required to purchase hair system online. but from whom? that is my main question. would you tell me where should i purchase the system from? I think, i will go for lase front base system. Who is the best supplier? What is the cost?

Basically there are 3 most popular options to buy a hair system

1) Speciality Salons

2) Resellers

3) Direct from factory

I don't know if there is any options in Afghanistan but I will be surprised if there is none. Also as Afghanistan labour is cheap you won't need to pay ridiculous prices to get a cut in. So for you identifying a local salon which does the hair system will be the best bet.

If you are confident there is no salon which does hair systems then you can look for a reseller online. These are people who import from China and ship it over to you. They add their margin. The margin is for providing customer service and deal with any problems. This is something which you won't get from a direct factory supplier.

If you want the best mix of customer service+ helpful community and lower price then I will suggest

Northwest Lace - High Quality Hair Replacement

There are some great people on the forum and they are very helpful.

As for cost, the system cost is just one part. There is cost for maintenance, cut ins, accessories. The more you do yourself the cheaper it will be.

Basically living in Afghanistan would mean Shipping cost will be extremely high. We order accessories from a website called Hairdirect because the variety is huge and best place to buy from. They ship for free for all orders over $50 locally. So it becomes very economical for a person living in USA. For a country like Afghanistan they might charge $60-80 to ship. So it won't be economical to you.

You will have to search for alternate options. One could be after you have identified the accessories you want, you can see if its available on aliexpress because they have slow and free shipping. So you need plan ahead as aliexpress delivery will take 30-45 days whereas Hairdirect delivery will take 4-5 days.

If you have any more questions then feel free to ask.

Hi GoodFella,

Thank you for the kind and informative reply.

I searched Toplace, Hairdirect and other providers. I selected Toplace for the online purchase. They can deliver the system and other accessories to Afghanistan via FedX. The shipping cost will be somewhere around 80 US$. Yes, it is not economical, still, I will go for it. However, the problem now is that they don't have my hair sample and measurements. I need to mail them all this; but how? I don't have the kit for measurement and also, even if I order it from them, I will be required to mail them the measurement and hair sample. I don't no what do they mean by mailing. should I be using fedX or other shipping service to deliver them my hair sample and measurement or what? If so, it does not sound logistically feasible. So the question is, if i am to place an order for customized hair system, how should i take correct measurement and how to send the provider my hair sample?

I therefore searched the internet and located a Hair Club in Pakistan. Some local sports and media celebrities promote their work. I watched the review videos about them, and then called the hair club. They said, they will take my measurement and hair system, and will then send all this to US and after five to six weeks, the system will be imported from United States. They assured me that the quality is superb as they import system from the States. I, however, wanted to avoid hairclubs. I think, I now need to go to the Hair Club (its name is also Hair Club) for the first time and then i will be able to order systems online myself.

I need your advice. And thank you for the time you take to reply to me. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Hair club doesn't supply anything different. However they know how to market and sell their product. They will charge you ridiculous prices for getting your first system. I have heard people paying $2800 for 2 hair systems. I don't know how economical it is in Pakistan so I won't make any biased comments. But as its a franchise I don't think they will be able to compete with internet rates.

This is how you take your measurement

You can buy the stuff needed from any local office supplies in your country. The kit by Hairdirect is not needed.

Hair samples. I am not 100% sure but I guess they call it because they can match you hair colour.

There is another option which many people do. They order a stock system and then cut it to match their template.

I order custom but having cut one stock system I can assure you that this works. I order custom because my template is already on file. I once wanted to test a new system and I was extremely excited to so I didn't want to wait for 4-6weeks and that is why I ordered a stock.

Mailing would physical delivery. So Fedex, DHL or any other international carrier in your country. Shop around because Fedex is pretty expensive.

Now the big question for a newbie- Hair Club vs Internet Supplier.

I doubt hair club will give you full price information over the phone. If you pressurise too much they might give you some base cost and there will be a lot of hidden costs when you actually visit. So making a comparison over the phone would not be possible. But here is what I assume should cost you from internet supplier if you go for custom piece.

Shipping to Toplace: $60

Hair piece: $300

Tapes, Spray Adhesive: $50

Shipping from Toplace: $80

Total: $490

This is just to get the product. Now you can either cut the system yourself or visit a local salon and tell them how to do it for you. Remember one thing, cutting a hair system is not same as cutting the natural hair. You need to blend the hair system properly otherwise it will look out of place.

• 1 month later...

Hi Goodfella,

thanks for sharing your wisdom and offering guidance:)

Did you make your own template? I worry I am not getting the contours accurate enough or the fit tight enough... it always seems to finish a little lumpy. I have a fair bit of diffusely thinned hair on top so getting the guide marks particularly at the back is a little tricky.

And when it comes to shaving pre-attachment what technique do you use to avoid shaving too much?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Goodfella,

thanks for sharing your wisdom and offering guidance:)

Did you make your own template? I worry I am not getting the contours accurate enough or the fit tight enough... it always seems to finish a little lumpy. I have a fair bit of diffusely thinned hair on top so getting the guide marks particularly at the back is a little tricky.

And when it comes to shaving pre-attachment what technique do you use to avoid shaving too much?

Hadn't logged in a while. If you have got your answers from somewhere else then great but still I will answer.

I did not make my own template. I got a stylist to do it for me. I showed him the youtube video and he followed the instructions.

From what I understand you don't need the template to be 100% perfect. But it needs to be very accurate. What I mean is some minor errors won't cause too much problems. If in case your base is larger than your scalp area then you can always cut it to your size. You just need to be careful and know what you are doing.

Its difficult to tell solution to your problem without actually seeing something. If you can describe it little better then I will try to address it.

As for shaving too much, everything comes with practice. I don't take any extra steps. Just look in the mirror and shave the area where hair isn't needed. I got my mirrors positioned in such a way that I can clearly see the back with both my hands free.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Goodfella,

Thanks for the valuable posts. Quick question where did you get your hair systems. I am in CA right now can you recommend any good places to get hair piece? Also I have very good hair sides and back but I lost hair on my crown and temple areas. Can we order custom pieces only to cover temple areas ??

Usually how much would it cost

• 3 years later...