Opinions on Candidacy for HT

Hey guys,

Been lurking for a while as my thoughts about a potential HT mature and I thought I'd throw it over to some of the HT community to get some second opinions.

My situation: I am 24.25 years old and my hair loss has been an issue since I was about 18 years old. Even though it is patently obvious to me, through a combination of creative styling and hair loss remedies, I have maybe been able to find off joining the "obviously balding" group. However, given a less than ideal situation for hair styling, whether it be sweating, swimming or a windy day, then all bets are off and my chief preoccupation becomes my hair.

Sometimes I feel like, until I either improve my hair in the form of a transplant or else I grow to accept not having full head of hair; I will never truly be able to enjoy my life to its full potential (and yes I feel very vain, self absorbed and guilty for admitting it). Im sure many of you can relate.

I started minoxidil at the age of 20 and added 1.25 mg finasteride daily as well as ketakonazole shampoo twice a week at the age of 22.

So for about 2 years I have been on the big 3. I think since starting on fin my crown has thickened up. As for the frontal third, I think it has more or less stayed the same - maybe slightly thinned out a bit.

Anyway, I have been seriously contemplating nipping this thorn in my side in the bud in the form of a HT. I have no inclination to lower my hairline at all, and I am more than happy with a conservative placement. Moreover, I have no delusions about the limitations of HT surgery. I am not looking to add grafts to the crown (at least at this stage.)

My desire is to hopefully get a transplant which builds my hairline and frontal third if necessary while retaining enough grafts for the mid-scalp region if required down the track.

I am seeking opinions on whether you think my donor region looks sufficient for my desires and if so what sort of graft numbers i might need to fulfil said desires. Attached are some pictures after washing my hair.

Thanks in advance guys!

IMG_1279.jpg.0dd641a20be3d1b75e2d49c9b03c3b1c.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg.f0250c1b52e3865828e97f04c846f422.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg.88be2c2af23729979d6f6c6437ddf7b7.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg.62a4db21978d04ac7bdf5884e3269feb.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg.9118de4efc7b9723a99ceb1c60c28d35.jpg

IMG_1287.thumb.jpg.4e8ca442e0bbdf6b99a9f4134209b9b0.jpg

IMG_1282.thumb.JPG.595fc0b88eb2b3664976a5227312ce7a.JPG

Great that you are on the meds.

Some doctors will say you are too young, others not. 1500-2000 grafts should do it.

If you keep your hair that long generally then FUT is your best bet so you're preserving the donor for future procedures.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Just stick to medicines...take a cyclic course with finasteride on one day and supplement it with vitamin_e , biotin and other multivitamin with daily minoxidil application overnight and you will be just fine.

Frankly,you don't qualify for a HT yet. Try to preserve what you got(it's good) and assess at a later stage if things turn bad. Good Luck!

Short answer: No

But thats juts my humble opinion. I'm no expert

All opinions are appreciated. Might I ask for a little elaboration? You don't think my donor zone looks sufficient or you don't believe I am a good candidate for a HT period?

I receive advices from an IAHRS member and, while he said I was maybe too young, he said at a glance my donor looked good.

All opinions are appreciated. Might I ask for a little elaboration? You don't think my donor zone looks sufficient or you don't believe I am a good candidate for a HT period?

I receive advices from an IAHRS member and, while he said I was maybe too young, he said at a glance my donor looked good.

Oh there's no question you have tons of donor hair.

I just dont think your forehead has receded far enough to get a HT.

My advice is go on Fin and MX and wait it out a few years

Oh there's no question you have tons of donor hair.

I just dont think your forehead has receded far enough to get a HT.

My advice is go on Fin and MX and wait it out a few years

Appreciate your opinion. Do you think that it is of any significance the fact that my hair loss is progressing at a glacial pace, or, in the case of the crown, reversing under the treatment of the big 3 (nizoral, finasteride and minoxidil)? As mentioned I have been on minoxidil for 4 years and all three for 2 years.

I can obviously see the folly in getting a hair transplant at a young age when the hair loss is unaddressed and aggressive, but in my case, it appears to be a very slow progression, if progressing at all. In such a case do you think the risks might be mitigated to a sufficient degree for a HT or would you advise against it in any case?

Cheers.

Appreciate your opinion. Do you think that it is of any significance the fact that my hair loss is progressing at a glacial pace, or, in the case of the crown, reversing under the treatment of the big 3 (nizoral, finasteride and minoxidil)? As mentioned I have been on minoxidil for 4 years and all three for 2 years.

I can obviously see the folly in getting a hair transplant at a young age when the hair loss is unaddressed and aggressive, but in my case, it appears to be a very slow progression, if progressing at all. In such a case do you think the risks might be mitigated to a sufficient degree for a HT or would you advise against it in any case?

Cheers

If I were in your shoes I would wait it out for at least 3 to 4 years. If I saw you on the street I wouldnt even think you were balding, it just looks like you have a slightly higher hairline than most people.

If anything you look like you have a full head of hair

I commend your commitment to the medical therapy. Surgery should be the last resort, so hopefully you can delay this process, regardlessly of candidacy. Hair loss is unpredictable, you understand the likeliness that it remains progressive. You are a candidate. Hair transplants are meant to create the illusion of coverage.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Cheers.

I'd also say give it 3 years minimum and review as your losses are minimal. Take photos today and take photos in 3 years (or annually) and put them side by side and see what progression - if any - you have. If you see significant hair loss in that time than you have your answer - if you are the same in 3 years than your medicine routine probably has you in a great spot.

I dont think HT is something you use as a "nip it in the bud" sort of thing because you have no idea where you will be down the road. It is not like the hair loss you have in 2013 will be the same in 2014 will be the same in 2017 will be the same in 2020. If you were norwood 4 or something than it is a different discussion.

You are on the meds early so it really should help you maintain what you have.

Without meds the progression can be slow or overnight; you see some people here talk about going from full head of hair to NW5 in 5 years. Others stay the same for years on end. So no one has an idea. But you have the buffer of medications.

Probably in your peer group you have a bit more hair loss than other guys so you are more aware of iut, but if you maintain this level, some of your friends will start catching up to you in the next 5 years. :D For a guy in his 30s you'd look very typical so I guess what I am trying to say is at your current age you might stand out a tiny bit but in 5 years a lot of guys your age then will be the same if you maintain where you are now.

If you stay "like this" for the next few years and seem very stable you could probably opt for a smaller FUE down the road to fill in the areas of concern in the front (temples, some hairline thickening), which would allow you more flexibility in hair style and avoid the strip scar. If you have a significant jump in hair loss in a few years than you would need more aggressive measures - this is the reason a lot of people hold off at your age because its just difficult to tell where you will end up.

Edited by thisguy1

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

• 2 years later...

Well 2.5 years on, I will be 27 soon. I have been on finasteride and nizoral for 4 years and 4 months and Minoxidil for 7.5 years. 

I think my crown is the same. I honestly find it so hard to tell with my hairline and whether it has further receded as my perception of it is shaped by my haircut and also what I believe to be shedding cycles (real or imagined im not sure). 

The reason I say this is because in my "down" times (less optimal hair length and/or going through a shed) , I will go through phases of despair as I perceive my hair to be a ticking time bomb and my resolve to get a transplant ASAP hardens.

Then I might get a shorter haircut, the hair looks thicker and/or I go through a non-shedding phase and my morale is boosted. 

It has been like this for years.

I will upload new photos soon so you all can judge my HT candidacy but, based on more or less the same pictures at the start of the thread, at 27 years old on meds with what I can only describe as non-rapid hair loss, how would you all re-assess my candidacy for a hair transplant?

• Administrators

If you're hasn't changed in 2.5 years since that post then you're definitely a candidate, the question is what do you exactly want to have done? do you want to lower your hairline? I can tell you right now there is no way any surgeon is going to touch the crown area, you have far too much hair left.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

If you're hasn't changed in 2.5 years since that post then you're definitely a candidate, the question is what do you exactly want to have done? do you want to lower your hairline? I can tell you right now there is no way any surgeon is going to touch the crown area, you have far too much hair left.

I don’t want to lower the hairline. I have a naturally higher forehead. You will notice from the photos that my temples and temple points have receded. It seems like my hairline is nw3 and my temple points are like nw7.

What I am looking for is a nice conservative, even slightly receded hairline with some actual temple points.

I don’t have any interest in touching the crown. 

• Administrators

So you want to straighten your hairline only? If I’m understanding correctly just close in the temples right?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

12 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

So you want to straighten your hairline only? If I’m understanding correctly just close in the temples right?

Yeah correct. Not completely straight but a mature hairline and some temple points to frame my face better. 

Touch wood I don't have any side effects from almost 4.5 years on finasteride and I don't have any intention of stopping. I am fully committed to the Big 3 meds. 

Do you think I can be reasonably confident of restoring a hairline which looks natural and gives me freedom to style it again?