Will be getting 1450 FUE ht on 2/10/16...

Hi, I'm getting my first HT in about 2 weeks. 1450 FUE basically just in the hairline area. Pics attached. I'm either a 2 / 2a on the mpb scale. Any advice on what to expect from anybody who's had a frontal HT. First HT so extremely nervous. I'm 40yo and have been taking finasteride since my early/mid 20's.

Can I post my doc's name? - he's an IAHRS accepted physician and also a member of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) and a Diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgeons (ABHRS)

Main concern - density, realistic final appearance. Thx. This forum has been extremely helpful

Also, my hair is quite fine, and salt n pepper gray. Skin color is fair. I have full natural coverage on the crown. I was told that because my hair diameter was 'fine' rather than 'coarse', the "punch outs" of the donor areas would be smaller and allow "new" follicles to be re-assigned closer together. Is it wrong to be hopeful that transplanted hairs will be as "close together" as my "island / dollup" that's still remaining on my forehead? Let me show you a close-up of that frontal area...

QUESTIONS:

1. am i a good candidate?

2. may i post my doctor's name for any advice on him?

3. does 1450 seem like enough?

thanks for putting me at ease in advance...

1.jpg.9afc4080a4586110f29c0538f55a485c.jpg

2.jpg.7f382c9d5b87927d8a24886e84593826.jpg

3.jpg.799d9d160eb76e06d75adde913c21b11.jpg

ernie101.jpg.d5efa49f77cfe3fefe5a81c8c0f5acc1.jpg

Edited by Ernie
had a name of something that may/may not need to remain private

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Thanks Dutchie. Anybody else care to chime in?

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

1. You appear to be. At your age with meds with you forelock seemingly intact (hard to tell if diffuse thinning but they would reinforce). It's very important for you to discuss your personal goals with the doctor in as much detail as possible. I'm 35, but actually brought with me pictures of when I was 22, 25, 28, 30, 33, so he could see my original hairline in detail and the timeline since. Communicate until your comfortable.

2. Yes, share docs name. We all do.

3. Depends on your goals, but at first glance, maybe slightly conservative. I was going to say 1500-2000 when I first looked. But what do I know, I'm no doctor ;)

Good points ersec. My doc is Christopher Varona. I've done my due diligence but any additional input on this guy would be great :-)

Any tips on curbing my expectations on density? For example, if my hair is fine and donor extractions are say 0.8mm, that doesn't mean my "new hair" grafts can be spaced 0.8mm, right? Hopefully not a dumb question.

Lastly, my forelock is about 60% separated. Very obvious when hair length us about a quarter inch. With that said, should I run the 1500-2000 fue (instead of scheduled 1450) by Dr. Varona?

PS - this forum is awesome. Puts me at ease :-)

Good points ersec. My doc is Christopher Varona. I've done my due diligence but any additional input on this guy would be great :-)

Any tips on curbing my expectations on density? For example, if my hair is fine and donor extractions are say 0.8mm, that doesn't mean my "new hair" grafts can be spaced 0.8mm, right? Hopefully not a dumb question.

Lastly, my forelock is about 60% separated. Very obvious when hair length us about a quarter inch. With that said, should I run the 1500-2000 fue (instead of scheduled 1450) by Dr. Varona?

Doing a quick search I see that Christopher Varona is a Ziering doctor. Is that correct? If so I would strongly discourage you. They would not make it into anyone's top 10, let alone for FUE.

Where are you located?

Do not go with Varona - Zeiring is a chain similar to but not as bad as Bosley. Rather search the top doctors on this site and be prepared to travel. I also think 1450 grafts may be on the low side. You have some more research to do young Skywalker

But what do I know, I'm no doctor ;)

Too, late now, esrec. I already counted on you for medicinal advice.

You didnt respond with anything worthwile, and your papers have been forwarded to the proper authorities!

Haha.........just kidding!!!!!!!!!!

Or am I :P

Doing a quick search I see that Christopher Varona is a Ziering doctor. Is that correct? If so I would strongly discourage you. They would not make it into anyone's top 10, let alone for FUE.

Where are you located?

I'm in Orange County, CA

hmm... damn, this is all a bit deflating. Guess I'll search this site for what's wrong with places like "Bosley" and "Ziering"...

And I'm still planning on going through with the procedure -- so feel free to yell at me if i'm making a huge mistake...

hmm... damn, this is all a bit deflating. Guess I'll search this site for what's wrong with places like "Bosley" and "Ziering"...

And I'm still planning on going through with the procedure -- so feel free to yell at me if i'm making a huge mistake...

I'm yelling at you big time mate. Pick up your phone and cancel the procedure 1st thng in the morning. Everyone on this forum now knows that Bosley and Zeiring to a lesser extent is the biggest joke. A year from now you will know too. When I 1st started researching for my 1st procedure, I also had Bosley and Zeiring on my shortlist. Thank goodness I quickly found my way and ran far far away. This is a very tough and unforgiving industry, and HT procedures are extremely difficult and require a very very specialized skill. If you choose the wrong surgeon you can get screwed up. The best advise you will get from me or anyone else on this forum is to cancel your procedure, and consult with at least 5 additional clinics that are highly rated. Can I suggest you start with Dr Ron Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group in Minnesota. You can submit pictures online and then call up the clinic and speak with Matt Zupan their patient consultant. He will give you an hour and pound you with information. I also suggest doing the same with my own surgeon of choice, Dr Rahal from Ottawa. He is knick named the hairline King, and if you research enough, you will see he produces the absolute best hairlines in the world. Don't just take my word for it, it's all online, just use google "best hair transplant surgeons in North America". I also suggest Dr Raymond Konior in Chicago, Dr Feriduni in Belgium and Dr Lorenzo in Spain. These are the best FUE surgeons out there. Are you sure you want FUE over strip FUT? If you are open to FUT which is the gold standard in my opinion, then definitely consult with Dr Vctor Hasson of Hasson & Wong. I guarantee all of the above are way way way better than anyone at Zeiring or Bosley.

I'm yelling at you big time mate. Pick up your phone and cancel the procedure 1st thng in the morning. Everyone on this forum now knows that Bosley and Zeiring to a lesser extent is the biggest joke. A year from now you will know too. When I 1st started researching for my 1st procedure, I also had Bosley and Zeiring on my shortlist. Thank goodness I quickly found my way and ran far far away. This is a very tough and unforgiving industry, and HT procedures are extremely difficult and require a very very specialized skill. If you choose the wrong surgeon you can get screwed up. The best advise you will get from me or anyone else on this forum is to cancel your procedure, and consult with at least 5 additional clinics that are highly rated. Can I suggest you start with Dr Ron Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group in Minnesota. You can submit pictures online and then call up the clinic and speak with Matt Zupan their patient consultant. He will give you an hour and pound you with information. I also suggest doing the same with my own surgeon of choice, Dr Rahal from Ottawa. He is knick named the hairline King, and if you research enough, you will see he produces the absolute best hairlines in the world. Don't just take my word for it, it's all online, just use google "best hair transplant surgeons in North America". I also suggest Dr Raymond Konior in Chicago, Dr Feriduni in Belgium and Dr Lorenzo in Spain. These are the best FUE surgeons out there. Are you sure you want FUE over strip FUT? If you are open to FUT which is the gold standard in my opinion, then definitely consult with Dr Vctor Hasson of Hasson & Wong. I guarantee all of the above are way way way better than anyone at Zeiring or Bosley.

okay, okay, I'm coming around... I'm in Southern California -- really truly no good docs out here for either FUT or FUE? That seems shocking to me...

Only the biggest mistake of your life.

Seriously, let the process humble you, don't resist it. Leave the ego at the door. You'll thank us later.

Think you're the only person to arrive here dead set on one surgeon, only to find out they aren't very good, even though you'd spent hours researching, and find out that the best surgeons are actually guys you hadn't even heard of? We all have our stories. I'm right there with you.

Yes, it's deflating, but its a process, and worth it. You don't f*ck with your head. Look at it this way--you are about to make a good decision because you came here to get the right information.

Others will chime in and confirm. Mav provided a flawless list.

okay, okay, I'm coming around... I'm in Southern California -- really truly no good docs out here for either FUT or FUE? That seems shocking to me...

I live in NYC, I went to Minneapolis. Think that was part of my game plan? I got humbled ;)

There are some good docs in California, but there are even better ones out of state. If you must stay on the west coast, then Dr Gabel in Portland Oregan and Hasson in Vancuover are your best options. I would seriously start with the list provided by mav and add Erdogan in Turkey to that list. Starting with Dr Ron Shapiro is excellent advice. I 100% support the advice to cancel your appointment asap. You can thank us later and buy us all the 1st couple of rounds of drinks a year or so from now

Dr. Gabel, Dr. Hasson, Dr. Shapiro, -- i'll give them some research time...

(I'm afraid to fly by the way) --> put me on a plane, and i'll lose ALL my hair from complete unadulterated FEAR, haha...

Any others? Gotta be some in Vegas, no? or San Francisco? prefer FUE as I wear my hair short (Hasson is good at FUE, I'm reading...)

EDIT -- while I'm at it, what price range (US$) should I expect for 1500 FUE (front third of head / frontal forelock still there / hairline needed)? Thanks in advance. Damn, this forum is awesome...

Edited by Ernie
price advice needed...

I live in NYC, I went to Minneapolis. Think that was part of my game plan? I got humbled ;)

Likewise I researched the best surgeon in New York, although I sadly got my procedure performed by a New York surgeon, and then only realized my mistake after the fact. I switched to Dr Rahal in Ottawa Canada for my 2nd procedure. Who would have thought that the best hair transplant doctors are not in New York. Likewise for California I am afraid.

See my story

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/181957-dr-rahal-2-245-graft-procedure-fut.html

Any others? Gotta be some in Vegas, no? or San Francisco? prefer FUE as I wear my hair short (Hasson is good at FUE, I'm reading...)

EDIT -- while I'm at it, what price range (US$) should I expect for 1500 FUE (front third of head / frontal forelock still there / hairline needed)? Thanks in advance. Damn, this forum is awesome...

Nope, you are going to have to travel my friend. Just take the train up north to Portland or Vancuover. Amtrak has a nice ocean route along the coastline.

Unfortunately Dr Hasson is the gold standard for FUT strip. That clinic only recently started offering FUE, so they lack experience and have to still prove themselves. I wouldn't get an FUE with him at this time, but FUT is a completely different story. He ended up in my top 2.

Dr. Gabel, Dr. Hasson, Dr. Shapiro, -- i'll give them some research time...

(I'm afraid to fly by the way) --> put me on a plane, and i'll lose ALL my hair from complete unadulterated FEAR, haha...

I'd say $7,000 to 10,000 for FUE, maybe even more - FUT is cheaper. Hasson and Wong post prices on their website.

Nope, you are going to have to travel my friend. Just take the train up north to Portland or Vancuover. Amtrak has a nice ocean route along the coastline.

Unfortunately Dr Hasson is the gold standard for FUT strip. That clinic only recently started offering FUE, so they lack experience and have to still prove themselves. I wouldn't get an FUE with him at this time, but FUT is a completely different story. He ended up in my top 2.

Okay, so you only researched FUT docs, eh? Btw, just read your story -- congrats --> looks good at the 1.5 month mark Mav...

I'll search the forum for FUE doctors and see what I come up with on the West Coast...

Okay, so you only researched FUT docs, eh? Btw, just read your story -- congrats --> looks good at the 1.5 month mark Mav...

I'll search the forum for FUE doctors and see what I come up with on the West Coast...

Yes, I picked FUT as my procedure of choice, but researched and consulted for both FUE and FUT as I will eventually switch over to FUE once I am stripped out. One of the reasons I picked Dr Rahal over Dr Hasson was the fact I can switch over to FUE with him at a later stage. Unfortunately, the top FUE surgeons aren't on the west coast. Believe it or not, they are actually in Belgium and Turkey at a much cheaper price than NA, although I think Konior, Shapiro, and Rahal are gems in North America.

Good luck mate!

• 5 months later...

First curious Ernie what you did....

A couple points:

1) I consulted with Dr. Varona, and although he seemed reasonably capable, the information specified in previous postings about Zierring are correct. I was concerned with the quality of the support staff, and Dr. Varona is fairly young and his experience levels and track record do not compare to some others.

2) If you have not made a decision, I would suggest consulting with Marc Dauer... he is in L.A.

First curious Ernie what you did....

A couple points:

1) I consulted with Dr. Varona, and although he seemed reasonably capable, the information specified in previous postings about Zierring are correct. I was concerned with the quality of the support staff, and Dr. Varona is fairly young and his experience levels and track record do not compare to some others.

2) If you have not made a decision, I would suggest consulting with Marc Dauer... he is in L.A.

Hi Chewy. I wisened up real quick and went with Dr Rahal in Ottowa- see my thread in my signature below if you'd like. Varona wanted to do 1400 FUE which I realize now would have looked silly