I think I really got the reason for shockloss!

damn, i had a fue and shockloss in the donor area, AND how I can see now - I'm bald now everywhere where I had injections!!

my crown area was just a tiny little bit thinner, so I decided to let them put some grafts in there too. and now I'm like bald there too!!

i am quite sure it's the anesthesia. they gave me ultracain or lidocain and adrenaline.

i think it's a allergic reaction to it and if so, the consequence is hair loss.

me for example is histamine-intolerant, and as I read now, ultracain and lidocain is really bad for people who suffering that.

now i'm scared that i ****ed up my hair more than it will help in the end.

question to the people who had donor shockloss and had also some grafts in areas that where not completely bald: have you experienced shockloss on top of your head too, where you had injections?

and did that come back?

i hope so bad that it will grow back

Hi Sven,

Congratulations on the procedure. I think you bring up some interesting points here, and I wanted to give my "two cents" about the shock loss issue:

First, and foremost, what is shock loss?

Shock loss refers to a synchronized shedding of follicles in scalp regions where hair transplant surgery was performed. For those who are more interested in the science, I recommend researching "telogen effluvium" because I believe shock loss is essentially telogen effluvium caused by surgical trauma. But, it's basically a mass shed caused by the stress and trauma of surgery.

The second point worth noting is that shock loss may occur in two different ways: temporary shock loss or permanent shock loss.

Permanent shock loss usually occurs when weak follicles in the recipient region are stressed, go into the sleeping (telogen) phase of the follicle cycle, and don't wake up. This follicle "sleeping" without ever waking up is basically what occurs normally in male pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia or "AGA"). And this makes sense because follicles that experience permanent shock loss are weak follicles in the recipient region that are affected by AGA and will stop functioning regardless. However, the stress from surgery just made it happen sooner.

Temporary shock loss occurs when strong, healthy follicles are "shocked" into a temporary sleeping phase (telogen phase). However, these follicles are hearty enough to wake back up and function normally after the sleeping phase is over. This generally takes a few months, but can last up to 5-6. It's usually seen in the donor and in follicles transplanted during an earlier procedure.

As far as the anesthesia causing the shock loss, I'm not as sure. I don't think it would be caused by an allergic/histamine-inducing reaction either. However, it could theoretically be caused by the trauma of the needle "pokes" and the pressure from the fluid itself. I haven't personally seen it from this, but I see how it may be theoretically possible.

It sounds like you are most concerned about donor shock loss. I wouldn't be as worried about this, as it is essentially universally temporary. What's more, it can be more dramatic with FUE (as there are far more insults to the scalp and each carries a risk of causing temporary shock loss in the donor). It also sounds like the surrounding hairs in your crown may be pretty strong, so this could be temporary as well.

Remember to give it 6 months before making any judgments as to whether or not any of this is permanent. I think based on your descriptions, however, that much of it is likely temporary.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

hopefully it will grow all back. but the anesthesia is surely connected to my histamine problems. got really worse since then, what i always can notice when my skin gets really inflammated after eating the wrong stuff and also my scalp gets oily and itchy from it (the AGA areas). now it's slowly getting better again.