Hair Transplant Reversal?!?

lemonsours

Hi everyone,

I had a crappy HT done at the Noble clinic about 10 years ago and have battled with my hair ever since. Trying to style it every day before work to try and hide the mess of my temples is something ive had to get used to, and i will admit ive had my depressed days about this...usually when its raining or windy or something and i have to put so much hairspray on its ridiculous!

My question is about having grafts removed and do people know what the costs of this is...especially compared with having another HT procedures to add more hair to the rubbish Noble did to me?

Unfort i no longer have the shaved head option due to my terrible scar - which i really wish i could do sometimes - i thought removal would probably be better and just put up with receding temples...which has gotta be a million times better than what i have to do every day at the mo! Its hampering me so much that i hate going outside in the day without a cap (apart from at work), can hardly go away, or share rooms with people coz of the time it takes me to do my hair...its embarrassing and restricts my life...which is peeving me off massively!

Anyone got any experiences or idea of costs of having this done. I also thought that removing the rubbish i had done, instead of wasting them, maybe they can just be placed a bit more densley, a bit further back and that would be a little better than me basically burning the money i invested last time! Just a thought!

Cheers for your views gents...

(I posted this several years ago, but having done nothing i wanted to revisit it) :)

Posting a photo would help provide more input. Oftentimes, the survival rate of relocated grafts is less than ideal. The donor scar can be camouflaged by grafting it with FUE or beard hair.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Lemon,

If you're looking to truly remove the hairs and forget about it, I've found electrolysis to be the most effective. Costs vary, but it's usually pretty reasonable (and there are likely multiple places near you offering the service). Like MrGio said, however, there are several options available if you're considering doing a bit more refinement opposed to strict removal.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Electrolysis can be effective but it does nothing to address any potential scarring you may have in the recipient area and this is where FUE is the better option. You are removing the graft, and any scar tissue that resulted in the placement. This will effectively allow you to relocate the offending grafts but as Mr. Gio stated, the survival rate of grafts transplanted multiple times may not be very high but multiple variables affect the final outcome.

Sometimes when FUE is used to remove previously transplanted grafts a few can still survive the process and regrow so one pass might not be enough to remove them all but even with the majority removed you will enjoy a much more natural appearance that may alleviate your daily anxieties.

• Like 1

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

Thanks for the replies!

Im just trying to sort out some photos so u can see what im talking about

One thing i didnt realise was reversal would mean using the FUE technique....on my temples!?! Or have i misunderstood that!?! Sounds awful and surely it would leave more scars in an incredibly visible area......??

Electrolysis can be effective but it does nothing to address any potential scarring you may have in the recipient area and this is where FUE is the better option. You are removing the graft, and any scar tissue that resulted in the placement.

But doesn't the FUE punch leave a new scar when removing the graft?

Edited by harryforreal

If you're looking to truly remove the hairs and forget about it, I've found electrolysis to be the most effective.

Dr. Bloxham, I'm interested in trying to reduce the thickness of my transplanted grafts as well as reduce the number of 2's and 3's in the hairline to singles. Could you please describe what results you have observed after electrolysis?

• 2 weeks later...

Skin pigmentation can change when hair is removed from the scalp. Oftentimes, the sheer volume of multi-hair grafts or plugs can cause unnatural-looking effects (e.g. ridging) on the surface of the surrounding skin. Photos would be very helpful. Each case isn't exactly the same.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi Harry,

Sorry I missed this one. I've seen very good results with electrolysis in the frontal hairline. I've mainly recommended it in transplant patients who receive a higher surgical hairline but still have a few of their remaining hairline hairs intact. This usually results in a few "stragglers" several centimeters below the new hairline, and they get tired of trying to shave or pluck them. From what I've seen, the electrolysis is very effective. The scarring is usually very, very minimal as well.

FUE-ing out the old grafts will likely leave more scarring in the hairline area compared to electrolysis. The advantage of removing the unsightly grafts via FUE is that they could, theoretically, be re-implanted. Unfortunately, I think most studies show a pretty poor survival rate for grafts moved in this manner. However, they do stand some chance of survival if you do want to move them; obviously the same can't be said for electrolysis where the goal is to kill the follicle.

If you're just looking to get rid of the old grafts, I'd probably still be inclined to lean towards electrolysis. Again, no real "right or wrong" answer, but just my "two cents."

Hope this helps.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Traditionally electrolysis is not very effective for lighter color hair and works best on dark coarse hair. Even then, you need several trips to the clinic to have an effectively permanent solution.

FUE can indeed leave scarring but when a small punch is used it is quite difficult to see, if at all, and then it is usually only visible with close inspection. If you have a darker skin tone this might lead to slightly more visible scarring but it is impossible to lay a blanket statement on what you can expect as a final result.

All of this is conjecture however as you should send photos to a qualified doctor to get a better idea of what is and is not possible.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

Attached is a photo of my right temple 5 1/2 weeks after my first V-Beam treatment for lingering redness. The first V-Beam treatment was on 12-22-15, and this photo was taken on 1-19-16. The area of the forehead that was V-Beamed had to be free of hair, so the short black hairs represent 5 1/2 weeks of growth after being plucked (yes, I plucked the area in preparation for V-Beam).

You can see transplanted black hairs in the corner of my temple below finer hairs with a golden tint. I cannot stand this "row" of black hairs across my forehead in front of finer golden hairs. It looks bizarre!

1-29-16_1944.thumb.jpg.727b58e1777598f7c90ee1b255c52b1a.jpg

After the above photo on 1-29-16, I clipped my forehead area again for a second V-Beam treatment later that day on 1-29-16.

Attached are 3 photos taken today, 2-9-16, following my second V-Beam treatment on 1-29-16 for lingering redness.

It should be also noted that in the fall I did a micro-needling of the area to reduce the bumpy texture from the hair transplant - that micro-needling yielded a great result, and I definitely recommend it for patients who are left with a bumpy texture! I will probably do a second micro-needle procedure later this spring, though honestly, the area is quite smooth now.

There is still some lingering redness on the left temple following the second V-Beam from 11 days ago on 1-29-16 which is clearly visible, but I was told it may take 1 month to clear up, so I'm pleased with the progress. The lingering redness prior to my first V-Beam treatment on the right temple is for all practical purposes finally gone!!!! :D

2-9-16_1975.thumb.jpg.f74ae6deb48a47f673517d5196ea46bd.jpg

2-9-16_1980.thumb.jpg.c17087b78ac71ca9cfd088b942549ac1.jpg

2-9-16_1979.thumb.jpg.2d59d3522c392a1580b1937758bb07ea.jpg

I also think even if there is a difference of skin pigmentation after hairs have been removed by electrolysis, that particular transplanted hair follicle could STILL be removed via FUE; so all things being equal, it still seems to me to go first with electrolysis to minimize invasive scarring, and then follow up with FUE if necessary to address any specific problems with pigmentation/color.

• 4 weeks later...

So do any of the hair transplant centres do electrolysis? I dont really want to go to some Shazza in a local salon who has no idea what she is doing and worse still, has no idea what is my normal hair and what is the crap!?! :)

• 4 years later...
On 2/9/2016 at 5:04 AM, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

Hi Harry,

Sorry I missed this one. I've seen very good results with electrolysis in the frontal hairline. I've mainly recommended it in transplant patients who receive a higher surgical hairline but still have a few of their remaining hairline hairs intact. This usually results in a few "stragglers" several centimeters below the new hairline, and they get tired of trying to shave or pluck them. From what I've seen, the electrolysis is very effective. The scarring is usually very, very minimal as well.

FUE-ing out the old grafts will likely leave more scarring in the hairline area compared to electrolysis. The advantage of removing the unsightly grafts via FUE is that they could, theoretically, be re-implanted. Unfortunately, I think most studies show a pretty poor survival rate for grafts moved in this manner. However, they do stand some chance of survival if you do want to move them; obviously the same can't be said for electrolysis where the goal is to kill the follicle.

If you're just looking to get rid of the old grafts, I'd probably still be inclined to lean towards electrolysis. Again, no real "right or wrong" answer, but just my "two cents."

Hope this helps.

What about laser hair removal ?

• 2 weeks later...

How come grafts wouldnt survive being "replanted" a second time ? Surely if enough time has passed they are settled and growing as normal and as before,and it wouldnt be to much of an issue ? BTW im not disputing this may be the case if studies show it,I just wondered why ?

Edited by Jor-El