What if you can't take Propecia?

Hello

What if someone can't take Propecia due to the side effects being too strong? Especially if you are looking to get a hair transplant eventually?

What can be expected from a natural DHT blocker (IE Keratin Booster for Men w/ DHT Blockers) , Nizoral, and Rogaine?

Thanks

As Louisjams said, it's definitely not a deal breaker. Many guys can't/don't take it and are still able to get a hair transplant. A lot of doctors like you to be on it leading up to and following the actual procedure, but it's not necessarily required. This is something you can discuss with your surgeon when you book your appointment.

Out of curiosity, have you tried Propecia and had severe side effects? Or is this more of a hypothetical question?

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks for the replies.

No, I have not tried Propecia. I have been on the fence for a few years now. My issue is that I had a small case of gynecomastia as a teen. I eventually had it removed. I'm worried I am predisposed to it though.

I thought about starting off with very low doses and slowly working my way up. I just don't want to develop anything where I need to have surgery to remove it. So I have stayed away up to this point.

Will echo what others said.

In addition, you could see how you respond to saw palmetto which has shown benefits for some. Also laser therapy, while expensive, has some intrigue and a few good studies on pubmed. There's also a thread on topical finasteride that a few have been testing.

Net/Net: You have options.

If you're gonna try saw palmetto makes sure you add nettle and pygeum to that in a combination formula.

And remember you get what you pay for, always go with an established brand. The cheapie brands often dont work as well

• Administrators

Finasteride is not an absolute necessity,but is advisable in very young patients with minimal hair loss, however, if you are older or have very advanced hair loss already I think its not necessary. Remember Fin is just a safety net, whether or not you should take it really depends on your situation, lets say you're 21 years old and your hair loss seems to be aggressive, its best to either wait a few years to see what your established pattern would be, or have surgery and take finasteride, I wouldn't advise to have surgery at a young age without taking finasteride as a precaution. Again, this is all relative, if you're 21 and you've lost all of your hair and your basically norwood 6, taking finasteride would be a waste of money.

The reward always has to outweigh the risk, if you're norwood 2-3 I think it's worth at least trying, once you get norwood 5+ your wasting your money and running unnecessary risks IMO. To quote Dr. Lindsey, there's no use in buying tree grow when all you have is a dirt patch.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It never hurts to start low dose finasteride in smaller doses under the advice of your doctor. If you do not have issues, then your doc can incrementally increase the amounts over periods of time.

If however you do not respond well to it, then I agree with several of the others who have suggested other forms of DHT blockers/inhibitors.

Take a close look at family history of the men who have MPB on either side both maternal and paternal. Plan your restoration with the approach of how much native hair that could be potentially lost in the future.

In other words, take a more conservative approach, smaller sessions, lower density levels, always managing your donor wisely for future loss.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY